View Full Version : Procrastination on Journal Writing

superstressed
12-19-09, 01:33 AM
My counselor suggested that I write journals to release negative feelings or whatever I wanted to say. I started out writing, and it was going well, but now I can't get motivated to write in my journal like I should. I let a few friends read my journals, and they think I have the skills to write books. That would be great, but there's a natural order to writing books that I don't really know. I like the journals because they really do help, but I can't get motivated for anything. I just had major back surgery last week, so I haven't been taking my Adderall, because I need to rest. Any tips on how to get my groove back?:confused:

Bluerose
12-19-09, 08:53 AM
Years ago during one of my hospital stays, I couldnít sleep and a nurse suggested I write about why I canít sleep. I have been scribbling ever since. I too believe I have the ability to write a book, probably about my own experiences, but I fear I lack the courage and the confidence to carry it through. So I do my sharing on forums like this one. I have experienced what writerís call writerís block, I prefer to call it creative pauses, but it didnít last long. The trick is to Just write. Thereís a thing called brainstorming where you just write about anything and everything until you find yourself back on track.

I did the journaling thing and it helped me enormously. Whenever I began to doubt if it was helping or not, I would remember something a lovely friend of mine said, ďItís better to get it on the outside of you than keep it on the inside and feel it festering in you.Ē Thatís my excuse for my compulsive scribbling and Iím sticking to it. :)

Best wishes.

Asylum
02-03-10, 11:20 AM
Try buying a really nice notebook for your journaling and and stick pictures or photos you like in there, make it comfy.

I think its supposed to take 22 days to form a new habit. Then new neural pathways form. Is journal writing a habit? If it is, you could make a goal to write every day for 22 days, and then it will hopefully seem like a normal thing. Like brushing your teeth. Not at the same time though. Pages will get soggy.

nnamelet
09-27-10, 01:38 AM
Hm, interesting!

You sound like me a few years ago. You are on target: confidence is the biggest asset for writing books. Hundreds of thousands of authors who write books have no real talent except the discipline to carry the manuscript to the finish line. I might be able to help you in a mutually beneficial relationship noted below.

Elsewhere inthe ADD Forum today I posted a thread seeking a peer coaching partner, and responded to a couple of inquiries about potential buddy or peer coaching.

I have a scholarly book that was published last year. Special circumstances helped me complete it. Now I need to prepare it as a popular (trade) book, but my brain wiring is such that I will surely fail unless I work with other persons. The favorable conditions above are no longer available, and given my tendencies toward distractibility, procrastination, etc. without a peer coach I'm likely to fail.

I've acquired the confidence and a fair amount of experience with the publishing game. But as indicated above, I feel that need the support of another person with goals and the well-known brainwiring problem. So if you are interested in pursuing your potential to write books or serious articles, etc. I may be able to offer my "experience, strength, and hope" in a peer coaching relationship.

You don't need any coaching experience if we use the Hallowell "HOPE" life coaching model. Any motivated person who is prepared to take a commitment to an agreed-upon time frame and plan with another person seriously, and follow relatively simple guidelines, can serve as a peer coach.

Let me know if you're interested.

Regards, nnamelet

anonymouslyadd
01-19-11, 03:29 AM
I would set a time to write, perhaps 9 P.M. and time yourself to write for ten minutes. Setting a time for something usually helps me accomplish the task. You also need a precious ending to the writing, that's why I suggest you end it at ten minutes. Shoot for 3 times a week and notice how that feels. If this is the proper release, then this is a good number to stick with. If not, adjust accordingly.