View Full Version : Eating to relieve STRESS

velvetcactus
05-29-04, 01:37 PM
Everybody knows stress makes you eat too much. A new study out of Penn State U. has found that for women the real window of vulnerability is after the stressful period is over. A hard week at work could make you especially prone to overeating on the weekends. Any period of wind down will find women doing extra snacking. In the study, women often chose mostly sweet or high fat snacks, often the kind found in office vending machines sold everywhere. Those women who were the most frustrated were the ones who scarfed down most of the snacks. And asked for leftovers once the testing was done! So women with adhd need to carve out as stress free lives as possible or remove tempations from their environment.

sthrnchik
06-24-04, 02:14 PM
I can so relate. If Im upset I go into the kitchen & search for sweets, carbs or anything crunchy. Afterwords I hate myself, bcause that has just set my need to loose weight for health reasons way back. & that once a month thing. Sheeeess let's not even go thereD:
Im so happy to have this topic on the board. Bcause Im only 5'4" & have weighed as little as 119 & as much as 160. I really need to change this..Glad to have the info here& support.

Marmalade_man
09-11-05, 10:58 AM
Stress always sent me to food in a FEEDING FRENZY.

A low of Ritalin has taken that all away and I have lost 16 lbs in a month and a half. :-)

Draven
09-11-05, 11:54 AM
When I am stressed, I find myself heading towards certain kinds of food. Like last Saturday, I was beyond stressed and was trying to start a diet. Next thing you know I was baking French Fries (Carbohydrates) and drinking Pepsi after Pepsi (sugar).

These are the two things I crave the most when I am stressed, sad or even bored and if only I could remove those two things from my life, I would probably drop 100lbs over night lol. Maybe not over night but you know what I mean.

When I took Ritalin, I lost weight too but then again I was going through a major depression, along with the meds, would ware trash bags to clean the house, and did not eat for 3 weeks lol. I also started abusing the Ritalin and then snorting it to keep me going and then when it ran out, moved on to meth so just be careful.

I know with me,,, I get dispirit at times to lose the weight and that gets me in more trouble than being over weight.

lynzilouwho83
12-04-05, 02:36 AM
when i am stresed i find my self eating not a whole lot and then i purge before it has even had time to go any where. is that common.

leenie
01-26-06, 08:28 PM
Wow...when I am stressed I am the complete opposite, I can't eat...and I mean nothing at all for days. I lost so much weight during the end of my last marriage. I'm relatively happy now and Im having trouble losing the extra pounds from my last baby 1.5 years ago...lol. I need some stress!

bryneyegirl133
02-23-06, 12:49 PM
yeah, im having a problem losing my weight from my last baby also although she is 3 and 1/2 months old, but belive me i will be having the same problem like you leenie and i will be the same weight 1.5 years down the road. what are some types of diets that you try?

Aizlyne
03-18-06, 09:30 PM
when I first began ADD medication (concerta) a year ago a lost about 25 pounds over the course of about 5 months. I stopped the meds because I was careless and started to gain the weight again. I've been back on meds for about two months but my weight has steadily increased anyway. THe biggest difference now I think i that I"mmore stressed and munch a lot mroe between meals. I try to eat healthy snacks but they arn't always around (or affordable). Especially when you're in college. It's very depressing to know you are getting heavier and when you see new stretch marks it makes it worse. I would love to be 150 pounds. I weigh about 190. Now granted I"m not HUGE but it makes my clothes uncomfortable and my legs hurt a lot more now.

moo4dougie
07-09-06, 11:25 AM
I am a man, and I certainly eat when I'm stressed.

ireland
07-12-06, 09:40 PM
Sounds familar to me....I 'am an extremest in Dieting..and found that impulsivity is apart of overeating. I 'am partly too blame for giving in too my cravings with or without the medication. But on the medication, I find it easier to say no to junk food and selecting healthier foods. In the beginning it used to affect my appetite and I lost weight, then gained after it lost it's affect. I 'am maintaning an am not overweight anymore..Thankfully I get restless..so I'am impulsive when it comes to excersizing(lol).
One thing where ADHD is beneficial to me...I have to excercise weather I 'am sick or not because of my restlessness even if I have a 14 hour workday I still have to excersize for an hour sometimes I try not to but it's an enforced habit.
The great thing is with concerta is it helps me curb my excersizing habit too (lol).

Wierd how ADD symptoms is different each person..

Bugs-n-Bunnys
07-12-06, 10:17 PM
My big hurdle is bulimia. When I get stressed, I binge and purge over and over and over again. In college I was up to 15 times a day. My doctor said that was me medicating my adhd. Because the purging acts on the brain the same way the meds do. Currently I'm on 30 mgs of Dexedrine twice a day and I don't even think about my problem. However, when the meds wear off, I'm right back at it. I'm trying to find a doctor who will let me take another dose or two during the day. They only last 3.5-4 hours but my day is 18 hours long.

It is amazing, when I was first diagnosed adhd and started meds (only 2 months ago) I stoped my problem immediately, like a light switch. I've had this as part of my life for nearly 20 years. I even went into a treatment center for 3 months and still managed to do it there, but the meds turned it off. I never went a day without doing it. Then I started meds and I went a day then another day then an entire week without that monkey on my back. I don't even think about it. (Until now - writing this is very difficult for me - I never share this with anyone - it is so very embarassing - but I feel its theraputic)

Thanks for listening

Bugs-n-Bunnys
07-12-06, 10:19 PM
I mean it feels treaputic to talk about it - get it off my chest.

Effie
07-17-06, 02:58 PM
My problem is that after a really stressful day or week I like to relax by ordering a pizza or getting Taco Bell and sitting around and watching TV all night.

adhdgirl
08-09-06, 01:51 PM
I did that though I have never been way overweight. I started on ritalin about 2 months ago and I have absolutely NO appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat. Anyone else have that effect from ADD meds? I know it is common. I love the ritalin otherwise and so far I am not underweight but another 10 pounds and I will be too thin. I am on generic ritalin short acting and can't take anything else because of the expense. I would hate to quit this as it has helped me so much. No side effects otherwise. Maybe after a while my appetite will be normal again.

Nova
08-09-06, 02:01 PM
I'm like Leenie.

Always have been, in that I have no appetite when I'm stressed.
I've always had to force myself to eat something on really stressful days.

This is just as unhealthy as overeating during stress.

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 10:30 PM
A good sushi roll always perks me up when I'm stressed out. Seaweed is a natural stress reliever, sushi is generally low in calories (unless you're eating like tempura or kentucky rolls), and fish is good for your brain. Cucumbers and broccoli also help too as they are crunchy. People tend to want to crunch food when they are stressed out. I grind my teeth in my sleep so its especially helpful to me to eat something crunchy but healthy during the day.

Eden
03-20-07, 10:34 AM
I eat a lot of fresh and canned fish adn I feel that when I do not I tend to have higher stress...so I think it is the omega 3 that help keep me stable...as far as stress goes...
:)