View Full Version : ADHD creates extra challenges to weight loss

velvetcactus
05-29-04, 02:32 PM
According to Dr. Lance Levy, Diagnostic and Eduactional Weight Management Site Toronto, ON www.dr.lancelevy.com
the following adhd symptoms most interfere with weight loss by either preventing good dietary habits or achieving sufficient physical activity:
Having many projects on the go~diet plans get lost in the "action"
[B]
Chronic procrastination~planning a menu ahead of time very hard
Intolerance to boredom~food is used to combat boredom or create stimulation
Problems with time management~ no time is left for meals "on time"
Impatience~ can't stick to a "game plan" for very long
Insecurity, easily disappointed and discouraged~ hard to stay on the diet track unless success comes quickly
Forgetfulness~ forgetting a menu when in a stimulating environment
Frequent search for stimulaing activities~ food is used by someone who can't get out to have excitement
Stress intolerance~ food is used to get energy levels back up
Impulsivity~ impulsive choice of wrong foods
Trouble following proper procedure~ such as a menu plan or excercise regimen because they become bored onece the novelty has worn off
Frequent mood swings~foods are used to smooth out moodiness
Verbal aggression~food can be used to suppress anger and to look more calm

Tara
05-29-04, 02:40 PM
I know my weight is related to both my AD/HD and anxiety.

Andrew
05-29-04, 02:40 PM
Same here.

Ace
05-29-04, 04:42 PM
I thought the information might just say that We get distracted. There was much more information and facets than I had thought, and they all seem to apply to me. It's a wonder any of us eat right.
I have reduced the "white foods" I eat by about 3/4, but I now have to plan ahead, and put together meals that don't have the "base" of bread or rice or potatoes. I am tired of not having the mouth feel of the crispy foods I was used to, and I am bored and fed up after 10 weeks and only 9 pounds lost (out of a goal of 40 pounds). I am impatient and irritated. I am looking for someone or something to "get even" with. I go to a gym, but I am easily set off course and do this instead. (Sigh)

Good information, though, and thanks!

healthwiz
05-29-04, 07:41 PM
1) the southbeach diet has a website, southbeachdiet.com which I joined. It allows you to make meal plans in minutes and shopping lists instantly. It is a really great tool/ Each day I printo off the meals and recipes for the day, and put them in the kitchen. When grocery shopping, I just print off the shopping list. It makes the meal planning much easier and therefore the diet much easier.

By the way, 9th day and I've lost 6 1/2 pounds eating healthy and eating plenty.

2) It seems to me, since my mind is preocupied with narcolepsy, that the symptoms above preventing weight loss in ADD might have overlap for narcoleptics. Apparently the brain is very effected by not getting good sleep, especialy not getting REM and many of the same symptoms appear for narcolepsy as for ADD. So my real question is, how does one tell the difference, whether one has ADD or narcolepsy? How many people with ADD are misgiagnosed, who really have narcolepsy?

Oh well, either way, the planning is easier on the website.

:)
Jonathan

Gregster
06-01-04, 02:57 PM
For me it's the lack of impulse control that has a tremendous effect on my weight - the seeming inability to stop myself when I am tempted to eat the wrong foods or to stop myself from eating when I am not actullay hungry and just eating for "comfort".
Medication has helped me a lot with these issues, at least so far!

gabriela
06-02-04, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Gregster
For me it's the lack of impulse control that has a tremendous effect on my weight - the seeming inability to stop myself when I am tempted to eat the wrong foods or to stop myself from eating when I am not actullay hungry and just eating for "comfort".

same here...
:sad:
losing weight is a struggle - especially when you have the "lack of impulse monster" around you all the time...

thanks to concerta, i'm now - slowly - learning impulse control, but so far my weight hasn't been on the agenda for me...
there are *far* more important things for me to use my newfound impulse control on right now!

MRB
06-09-04, 05:32 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, velvetcactus. Guys (and girls :D) if you're like me and you're just too addled to deal with South Beach, do like Oprah and do "no white foods."

So far (provided I can get my butt to the gym), it's working for me. I'm not exactly losing weight like mad, but I'm not exhausted all the time, and (unlike most of the rest of my life) I'm NOT gaining. Whew.

zzzatwheel
06-15-04, 06:36 PM
I am glad this post has been of help. I am seeing a pattern in my poor eating that bears mentioning-others may be in the same boat. Nothing has changed now that I am menopausal. I still get hormonal imbalances that program my brain to vaccuum up carbs in order to smooth out the chemical warfare going on inside me. Our stomach is our second brain-it operates of its own accord, it does not take orders from Command Central. And guess where our Generals serotonin & norepinephrine are stationed-Camp Gut! And of course their artillery is headed for Command Central. And the Estrogen is either AWOL or on KP! So no wonder the backup troops are called in to keep the peace! One of the casualties of this monthly chemicaL warfare is impulse control (amongst others). Who here does not find their meds rendered useless during this phase? And so all the supposed symptoms atttributed to ADHD are unleashed or augmented. This got me to question if the short term memory issues, impulsivity etc. are really due to less estrogen and the changing ratios of other neurotransmitters,
In short, I just find it odd I can eat properly, if not perfectly, two weeks of the month and not the two others. It indicates that ADHD somehow fluctuates...Anyone else find this?
I personally don't do menus. I eat the same thing every day so it's a no brainer and MUCH LESS stress. I see food as fuel only and have never attached the social component to it. So no 8 course meals for me! For those of you just starting out on better eating regimens take heart success will come. I HATE the expression "I lost weight' because it does not truthfully reflect the effort put into the process of converting fat to muscle. And effort as in excercise, is what makes or breaks your progress. I also don't like using "losing weight" because it implies you want to find it again! LOL! You have excess storage fuel. It needs to be used up. So leave the car at home. Use the stairs and walk walk walk! I use a pedometer and track my mileage on a map. So in one summer I may walk from my fridge door to New Orleans! I rarely weigh myself because it's my total body weight -bones and other parts that are just fine thank you! It's the yellow cushion on them that has to be shrunk! I take a piece of clothing that will fit pretty darn soon and gauge progress that way. And other ways like "Hey I can shave the outside of my ankles without hyperventillating!" Years ago at a gym there was a big banner with the following ensribed " Energy in, energy out-who gives a darn 'bout calorie counts?" Some food for thought for you!

zzzatwheel
06-15-04, 06:41 PM
are one and the same!! I guess I feel like my old self again! LOL!;)

Dreameralive_sky
09-26-04, 11:00 PM
I also have the same problem
How about when you feel like binging on junks foods maybe get someone to control your wallet, if you have no money, how can u buy unhealthy foods either outside or get them stock in your home? Right? Agree? I am rather broke so i really think it also helps me to save some pocket money for my upcoming vacation-school vacation :) Hee hee. I am killing 2 birds with a stone.

anait
10-01-04, 03:15 PM
I had a hard time getting back in shape after my fourth child - the first three were easy, I got very spoiled! :D I agree with the impulsivity problem...I kind of wake up after a couple hours, thinking, "What the heck did I eat all that for??!!" And I've struggled with anorexia since high school, adding that whole other dimension to exercise and diet.

I've found the glycemic index diet to be a near perfect fit for both my anorexia and my ADD. I don't know if this is the place to talk about its details...

neuroangel
10-20-04, 04:56 PM
I gained a bunch of weight on meds when I was a teenager (about 120 lbs gained on meds) I decided not to diet, but to change my lifestyle. Since last December I've lost 45 lbs with this attitude change.

I need to to work out again...I work at the daycare in a fitness center, it's just that I'm so tired after work....procrastination is a major issue with me right now. Just need to do it and stop making excuses. :p

As for the 'monthly battles', the cycle seems to influence many disorders, not just ADHD. The fluctuating hormones, namely prolactin (due to increase/decrease of estrogen), causes dopamine levels to fluctuate--which can lead to a psychotic episode in a schizophrenic, inattention and impulsivity in adhd, irrational decisions and mood disturbances in bipolar, I could go on and on, but I won't. :D

Cyndi

missannette
11-24-04, 09:39 AM
This is so true, every thing you wrote is exactly on target. I suffer with this on an ongoing basis. I tried to get off of my ADD medication but after 2 months and my horrible problem with the weight gain I now am going to have to go back on it. I also suffer from the other accompanying problems associated with ADD, like the unorganization and such. All the ADD medication gives me bad breath, any suggestions?

Scattered
12-15-05, 12:25 PM
I am glad this post has been of help. I am seeing a pattern in my poor eating that bears mentioning-others may be in the same boat. Nothing has changed now that I am menopausal. I still get hormonal imbalances that program my brain to vaccuum up carbs in order to smooth out the chemical warfare going on inside me.......One of the casualties of this monthly chemicaL warfare is impulse control (amongst others). Who here does not find their meds rendered useless during this phase? And so all the supposed symptoms atttributed to ADHD are unleashed or augmented. This got me to question if the short term memory issues, impulsivity etc. are really due to less estrogen and the changing ratios of other neurotransmitters,
In short, I just find it odd I can eat properly, if not perfectly, two weeks of the month and not the two others. It indicates that ADHD somehow fluctuates...Anyone else find this? I definately find this true for me. We're not just imagining it either. Dr. Tom Brown in his book Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults states in his book that, "Basic neuroscience research by Bruce McEwen (1991) suggests that estrogen plays an important role in the release and reloading of dopoamine within the brain, particularly in brain areas associated with executive functions. If this is so, significant inconsistency or persisting reduction of estrogenlevels in a woman's body may exacergate ADD symptoms in women who suffer from ADD syndrome. Declines in estrogen related to menopause may also produce symtoms of ADD syndrome in some women who have never had them before." (p. 241)

Fun fun! Eh?:rolleyes: Well at least it's not all in your head (well I guess it is in your head at that -- mine too!).

Take care,
Scattered

Prairiewind
01-09-06, 11:29 PM
Great. Now besides hair loss, bone loss, night sweats, hot flashes, giant mood swings and everything else that goes with menopause, I have WORSENING ADD to look forward to. Juuuust great.

scuro
01-10-06, 12:05 AM
...But on the plus side of ADHD, stimulant medication act like diet pills.

QueensU_girl
01-10-06, 07:53 PM
There is also the sleep side of Overweight/Obesity. Some ADD and Overweight/ Obesity are beleived to be caused by Sleep Disorders.

1. Sleep Disorders interfere with Memory/Learning consolidation, and ability to attend. This can increase ADD symptoms severity.

2. Sleep Disorders interfere with proper levels of Ghrelin and Leptin, which causes (a) excessive fat storage, (b) excessive hunger hormone in the hypothalamus.

Brutal.

Emma

zoneout
06-02-06, 12:04 AM
With me was other way around... ADD caused my sleep disorder. ADD impaired restorative sleep cycle no matter how much - I'd sleep 12 hours and still feel like crap.

After stimulant meds I am good to go on 6 hours of sleep with more energy throughout the day. And it hasn't caused insomnia. Don't even need an alarm clock anymore.

Matt S.
06-02-06, 10:22 AM
I am a hyperactive and impulsive type and weight has been an issue for me in the past... I was 270 lbs at 15 y/o and used anorexia to starve down to nothing... I am a guy who is 25 so most eating disorder treatment centers wouldn't accept me but I guess I just got bored with it or something because now I get triggered by the word "diet" and I just notice it on magazine covers... now though... I take dexedrine for adhd (the only drug that has ever worked) and it makes me underweight so I have to eat like 4000- 5000 calories per day to maintain 140 lbs. and i'm 5'9" so that is too thin...

dormammau2008
06-09-06, 08:13 PM
ia,m 5f9 an 135 lbs suffderd frpm things like you have good luck mspen dorm