View Full Version : Neurotoxicity??

Hambone
12-20-09, 10:40 PM
Anyone have any information regarding the neurotoxicity of Desoxyn when taken at therapeutic levels long term? I've tried Stratera, Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse, and Dexedrine(both IR and spansules). Dexedrine has been the best for me by a wide margin. The biggest issue with stimulants for me has been over stimulation. At moderate(dex IR/15-25mg) doses I sometimes have problems with sweating, shakiness, elevated heart rate, etc. Low doses in the 5-10 mg range are better, but tend to make me sleepy. I do occasionally find the sweet spot in the 15-20 mg range, but there is a fine line between motivated and able to focus and becoming overstimulated and almost more distracted. My diagnosis is combined ADHD and I'm 41 years old. I'm also a recovering alcoholic/addict with 23 years sober. My ADHD was left untreated for many years because I always assumed anything that actually worked was probably not a good idea for me to take. After reading Driven to Distraction I decided it was worth the calculated risk. It turns out that I'd forgotten that I never really enjoyed stimulants and haven't had any issues with wanting to make more than prescribed. If anything I take less than prescribed. I've read most of the Desoxyn info here and it sounds like I might actually be a good candidate and that there could be some benefits over Dex, notably the lack of peripheral side effects/stimulation. I've got a good doctor and we have a good relationship. I've mentioned it to him before and he said he's never prescribed it before. His concern is largely because there is so little available information on it's long term toxicity. He and I have both searched around some on the internet and the only thing I've found is prescribing info from the manufacturer. All the studies I see are about abuse level methamphetamine use, where the dose is many, many times higher than when used for ADHD. Given the lack of regulation in manufacture, I'm not even sure they're studying the same drug. If anyone has any information that could shed some light on this I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance!:)

CH

StoicNate
12-21-09, 02:49 AM
I'd recommend taking some ritalin at the end of the day of any amphetamine meds use, since it's notable for being neuroprotective from methamphetamine/amphetamine neurotoxicity.
Here's a scientific study that supports this. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701286/
It's always good to protect the brain.

Childe Roland
12-21-09, 01:58 PM
I'd recommend taking some ritalin at the end of the day of any amphetamine meds use, since it's notable for being neuroprotective from methamphetamine/amphetamine neurotoxicity.
Here's a scientific study that supports this. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701286/
It's always good to protect the brain.

Taking a stimulant like ritalin at the end of the day sounds like a terrible idea because you would get insomnia.

StoicNate
12-21-09, 05:38 PM
Taking a stimulant like ritalin at the end of the day sounds like a terrible idea because you would get insomnia.
Like a 5mg short acting dose of ritalin 2-3 hours before bed. The effect is much shorter than Adderall and Dexedrine and is weaker.
It might even put a person to sleep faster in a paradoxical way.

Hambone
01-07-10, 02:44 AM
I've got a small update. After doing some more searching I came across this. http://health.utah.gov/meth/docs/PDFs/CA%20rfd%20%20full%20document.pdf I printed it(all 70 something pages) and took it with me to my last Dr's appt right before Christmas. I spoke to him tonight and he said he thought it was VERY good information and answered a lot of questions he had about Desoxyn. I don't see him for a couple of months so I don't have anything conclusive to report, but I'll update this thread if/when I have anything new.

Yellow
04-07-10, 10:54 PM
heres an answer that ur lookin for from another post i made: neurotoxicity results mainly from 2 things OXIDATIVE STRESS, so take ur multi vitamin that has vitamin c(water sol), e( fat sol), alpha lipopic acid, and magnesium (which is anantioxidant in its own right bt also can help tolerance via milda NMDA antagaonism)

also, taking an SSRI is the second way to stop neurotoxicity, DA is smal enough to get takien in by the SERT which is neurotoxic, its like tryin to turn a small key inside a big lock and breakin it from twistin it... SSRIs obviously block the reuptake of SERT/SE so DA doesnt get sucked in too...which is why zoloft is the best, it boosts serotonin without DA deopletion....i wouldnt take desoyxn unless i had at least 25mg or 12.5mg of zolfot in the AM with it

ps that is from recreational doses, if u take 5mg, u dont have much to worry about just check out brain optimizer cognizin, it has neuroprotective agents, along with omega 3 as well