View Full Version : Best sleeping mask

Angels
12-23-09, 01:21 AM
I was going to try homeopathy to help with my ADHD, but I'm currently jobless and don't want to spend money on things that I have to "try-in-see" if it works (at least not until I get a job). I've been reading around and one thing I keep finding is that getting more sleep will help with ADHD, and I can tell you that I'm tired most of the time. Even if I go to bed early my mind is to active to let me go to sleep. I've been monitoring how I sleep at night and one thing I keep doing in bed is covering my eyes (I believe I'm light sensitive).

I recently got a cheap sleeping mask, but I find it very irritating since it puts pressure on my eyes and also light leaks through around my nose, I usually take it off in the middle of the night.

I've looked online and these sleeping masks seem good:

- Lights Out Sleep Mask
- Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask
- Mind Fold Relaxation Mask
- Heat-Sensitive Memory Foam Sleep Mask
- Revolutionary, Patented SLEEP MASTER Sleep Mask

But like I said before, I'm jobless and I don't want to spend money on a sleeping mask just to find out it's not good. I would like to invest in a good sleeping mask and I would like anyones opinion or suggestion on which one is the best to get (even if I didn't list it above)...

Thanks,

Driver
12-23-09, 01:40 AM
Firstly. If you want a free way to try homeopathy. Get some sugar, mix it in with some water and drink it: you'll get the same benefits.

Secondly, I dare say you're going to find any mask uncomfortable as most ADD'ers move a lot when they sleep. I recommended you try a different approach and darken you room instead.

wsmac
12-23-09, 01:50 AM
Can you sew?

If so (hahaha), then experiment with your own designs or copy those you think look the best.

If you don't sew, then try this...

Cut out some fabric (you can get really cheap pieces from thrift stores, or from friends/family who do sew) in the shape and size you want your mask to be.

Make two pieces... top and bottom. You can use softer fabric for the bottom portion that will contact your face.

The two pieces of fabric that will be over your eyes can be glued together just in a line around the area covering your eyes, so the fabric directly over your eyes isn't all stiff from the glue.

There should be fabric enough outside the eye area to close up into a tube, which you can fill with very small seeds or grains enough to mold to your face. This should come out to be like those flax pillows/masks.

Perhaps another, cheaper, easier option would be to fill a gallon size ziplock baggy, or something similar (one of those newspaper bags used to keep the paper from getting wet when sitting out on your driveway?), partially full with grains/seeds to make a simple mask.

You can cover this with a cloth of some sort... cloth napkin, hand towel, small pillow case?

How about a sock (clean, if you prefer), filled with batting? You could fix a tie string/cord/ribbon to it so you could tie it to your head.

Can you tell I'm just brain-storming here?:D

Maybe you could train two small furry animals to lie carefully and quietly over your eyes, not only blocking out the light, but providing warmth and a vibrating massage (from their soft purring/breathing) to your weary eyeballs!

How about Kiwi's? No... not the people from New Zealand!
Cut one in half, hollow out enough green middle to keep from putting pressure on your eyeballs, wrap an elastic bandage around your head and not only will you sleep in darkness, but I just can't help but think all that wonderful kiwi juice is doing wonders for your complexion!

Just keep those furry little animals away!:eek:

I thinks me is running out of ideas, I am!:p

Angels
12-23-09, 01:53 AM
Firstly. If you want a free way to try homeopathy. Get some sugar, mix it in with some water and drink it: you'll get the same benefits.

Lets just stick with the sleep mask question... :)

Secondly, I dare say you're going to find any mask uncomfortable as most ADD'ers move a lot when they sleep. I recommended you try a different approach and darken you room instead.

The main problem I have with the cheap sleeping mask is pressure on my eyes, moving around is not a problem with me and darking my room is not an option at the moment.

wsmac
12-23-09, 02:09 AM
Hmm, you replied to someone else's reply but not mine... guess that means you are considering what I wrote?:D just kidding!

I have a soft silky mask that works okay, but not as good as I'd like.
The elastic straps (two of them) are pretty worn out but still hold the cover over my eyes for the most part.

I've looked at those firm, molded ones but I don't want to spend money on them if they don't work.

So I'm a bit like you... I really don't like light for the most part other than when I want to be outside in the daylight... but I haven't found the best solution for this yet.

Using a pillow just means that eventually I will be covering up my whole face, which is also uncomfortable.

I've used t-shirts, pants, jackets, towels(actually, towels seem to be one of the better ideas I've had), and stuffed animals (the fake kind, not stuffed real animals!:eek:;) ).

I've even tried knit caps. I once found a cap that looked like those old-timey sleep caps you see in story books, with the tall peak that flops over.
I'd pull it down over my eyes, but it slipped off too easily while I was sleeping.

Tomorrow I may pick up one of those molded eye covers for a trial. If I do, I'll dig up this thread and let you know how it worked/works for me.:D

Angels
12-23-09, 02:15 AM
Hahaha no wsmac, I like your I idea, I just wanted to read your response in more detail before I replied. If use your suggestion, it will be to take your idea to modify the cheap sleeping mask to make it better.

wsmac
12-23-09, 02:25 AM
Hahaha no wsmac, I like your I idea, I just wanted to read your response in more detail before I replied. If use your suggestion, it will be to take your idea to modify the cheap sleeping mask to make it better.

All kidding aside... I actually like the sock idea! Socks can be had for cheap.
You could even use two kid size socks, attach the toe portions together at the nose area, and fix some sort of elastic to the cuffs to tie around your head.

I'm still trying to figure out a better way to just pad the outer area and leave the eye area unfilled, to alleviate any pressure to the eyeballs.

Oooh Mr Kotter! Mr Kotter! I got it! (sorry... flashback to an old t.v. show)

Foam! Spongy foam! I remember that to build up a really good bike seat (harley davidson bike, that is), it's best to use laminations of foam rather than one solid block of foam.

Also gun/photography/electronics cases... you build up the foam area, then shave/cut/trim away the space you need!

You could cut oval foam pieces then cut out the center portion for your eyes.

Or

You could layer several thin layers of foam/bubble wrap (maybe even the kind from postal envelopes).
For the bottom layers that will be against your face... just pre-cut an oval out for your eyes, then glue solid ovals over them. Slip these into the toes of the socks and.... voila! Eye shades!

Damn I'm good!:p;):D

Angels
12-23-09, 01:28 PM
wsmac, I finally read all your responses thoroughly, and while I do like your DIY suggestions, I don't want this to turn into a project (however I'll give the sock idea a shot). I've tried using a pillow as well but like you found out, it's very uncomfortable, I usually just use my covers to cover my face or just sleep on my belly.

I'm still probably going to order a sleeping mask but not until after December, so if anyone is reading this, I'm still open to suggestions.

At the moment, I'm kind of leaning towards the SLEEP MASTER Sleep Mask or the Lights Out Sleep Mask (from Megellan's Travel).

wsmac
12-23-09, 02:14 PM
Hey Angels,

Is this the mask your first link is supposed to head to?
sleepmaster .us/

I couldn't get the first link to work.

The second one, though, is one of the masks I've thought about getting.
I'll be out shopping today and I am keeping an eye out for sleep masks.

I understand what you mean about taking on a project... I tend to dream of too many, start too many, and not complete enough of them.:D

Angels
12-23-09, 03:09 PM
Not sure why the link didn't work but yeah that's the one I was referencing too.

Angels
12-24-09, 02:29 AM
I understand what you mean about taking on a project... I tend to dream of too many, start too many, and not complete enough of them.:D

I guess you and me are the same wsmac, usually when I start a project I keep procrastinating on it to the point where I never finish.

wsmac
12-24-09, 02:54 AM
Well, I have to wait until Christmas... I may be getting one as a present.;)

I looked at some today and here are the ones I saw and tried out...

Eagle Creek Comfort Plus Deep Sleep Eye Mask
The Eagle Creek ones did better than my old mask and better than the really flat ones I tried on at this store today, but they weren't the best of the lot. These had a small plastic buckle, leaving me to wonder if I'd feel it when I slept with the mask on.

Bucky Sleep Mask Eye Shades with Ear Plugs
The Bucky were the best fitting for me, and the most comfortable for my eyes. The strap is velcro and hopefully the hook side won't catch hair.
Well, I can't find the third mask online, but it was just flatcut from thin foam with a thin fleece-like cover... didn't do much for me.

Here's the one I have had for a while... mine is blue.
It has two narrow elastic bands. These are now really worn out on mine.
I find this mask allows a bit too much light in, although I've just stuck with them all this time until I found a better mask.
The soft material has been really nice, and for that I have liked them enough to use them over a pillow.
Flents Siesta Mask Reusable Sleep (from Hocks dot com)

Angels
12-24-09, 06:37 PM
The reviews for the Bucky Shades Sleep Mask seem good (found on Amazon), I find it irritating to feel the hair on my eyelids brush against something, did you have the same problem when you used this mask? And did you have problems with the Bucky letting light leak in around your nose?

Today I finally received my "AEROFLOT" sleeping mask (see eBay for reviews) from China that I ordered a month ago (before I bought the other one).

It feels a little better then the other sleep mask that I got at the dollar store, the advertisement says it uses smooth polyester, sponge and non-woven fabric. I'm going to try it out tonight and let you know how it goes...

EYEFORGOT
12-24-09, 08:11 PM
moderator's note: per guidelines, physical links to sellers of these products have been removed, but you can put the address of the location in your post. Member can cut and paste. Avoids spam, or questionable links members might feel uncomfortable clicking on.

Carry on with this very helpful thread.

Angels
12-25-09, 08:51 PM
I had a headache last night so I didn't feel like wearing the sleep mask I got off of ebay (320464894478), but this morning at around 7am I woke up and wasn't able to fall back to sleep (light was entering my room), so I put the mask on. The mask had the same problems as the dollar store one (pressure on my eyes and light leaking around my nose) but it did help me fall back to sleep and also the mask felt a little softer, however when I woke up 2 hours later, my eyes felt very dry, I'm not sure but I think it's because I wasn't able to move my eyes around freely, either way I'm not wearing the two masks again (my eyes still feel odd as I type this)...

wsmac
12-26-09, 02:11 AM
Well, I got my bucky sleep mask for Christmas today! :D

I'm going to give it a trial in the morning probably, but definitely Sunday morning since I work the swing shift tomorrow night and will sleep in late after that.

Angels, have you thought about just a black drape over your face?
I suppose depending on how you sleep and move around, the drape might just get swept aside and be totally ineffective, but if you don't move around much, perhaps a drape/mask would work.

I'm imagining a square-ish piece of soft flannel.
Since it would be one piece of dark fabric, maybe it wouldn't put pressure on your eyes?

Angels
12-31-09, 11:38 PM
I've tried using a black t-shirt is a drape, however I found that the slightest movement will let light leak in.

So how was the Bucky sleep mask wsmac?

wsmac
01-01-10, 04:58 PM
I've used the bucky a couple of times now and it works better than that soft blue one I've had for a long time.

The size and fit of the mask take a little getting used to, but nothing that makes me not want to use it.

Maybe I'll post a pic of me wearing it, if that's of any value to you or anyone else, Angels.

Angels
01-01-10, 05:23 PM
You don't need to take a photo of yourself, but I would like to see the inner part of the mask (ie. the side that covers your face).

Logic
01-02-10, 04:57 PM
I struggle to sleep with anything over my eyes/face but have tried it a few times when I was on permanent nights and struggling to sleep during the day. I used a fleece 'neck tube', pulled it over my face and folded it back on itself so it only covered my eyes/forehead area. seemed to work okay, it stayed put quite well because of the elastic cord running through it (first time I did this though, I woke up quite freaked out by it though as I didn't remember putting it on...)

Logic

wsmac
01-02-10, 05:21 PM
I used a fleece 'neck tube', pulled it over my face and folded it back on itself so it only covered my eyes/forehead area. seemed to work okay...
Logic

Why didn't I think of this?
I have one of those fleece bands to cover the ears and forehead... that would probably work really great!

Thanks for the new idea!:D

I'll upload pics soon of my bucky

Angels
01-03-10, 07:06 PM
Wsmac, what is the exact name of your Bucky sleep mask? I'm thinking about ordering the Bucky 40 blinks sleep mask...

wsmac
01-04-10, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure about the name, I'll have to go see.
There is no other name other than Bucky, on mine.
My mask also has a little pocket on front, top center, for the earplugs that came with it.

Here's some pics I took of mine.
In one, I hold up the 'pillow edge' or light dam that is down along the cheekbone and nose bridge area of my face.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_yO7G_3DXDF4/S0F-BMEOkaI/AAAAAAAAA-0/WsxZ6gpUCsU/s800/Pictures1.jpg
<src=http: lh4.ggpht.com="" _yo7g_3dxdf4="" s0f-bmeokai="" aaaaaaaaa-0="" wsxz6gpucsu="" s800="" pictures1.jpg="">
</src=http:>