View Full Version : Returning to medication, what should I use?

dracosensei
12-27-09, 03:53 AM
Hello, my name is Jairus, I was first diagnosed with ADHD when I was 8, I spent the next 10 years of my life on ritalin, the highest point being about 120mg a day. I did go one semester in high school off ritalin cold turkey. I pass I think 1 class that entire semester. But now I'm 26, I haven't been regularly on medication for over six years. I'm considering returning to medication because I need to further my education and in my current condition I fall out of practice once the novelty has worn off. Before I went off medication my doctor had me try a few other options, I believe I tried concerta which didn't seem to have the same "kick" that the old fashioned ritalin had, and I tried something else that really messed up my sexual activity, myself and my wife did not like it.

I was on Ritalin for about 10 years, my biggest complaint was how irritated I became when I was coming off the meds. Is there a alternative that gets the same results as the ritalin, but a less bumpy of a ride. What works for everyone else?

4everblackeyed
01-15-10, 02:25 PM
I think its all trial and error...I find im still struggling with the rite med! And i also am an adult in college- furthering my education....Find a psych and start one by one with the meds.....its a long, frustrating ordeal....By the way Ritalin, i found too is harsh. There are some new meds out there, maybe one will jive with u! good luck?

ps-has anyone heard of this new med tenex?

wsmac
01-15-10, 08:11 PM
I tried four different meds, then gave up completely on them...
Ritalin
Adderall
Strattera
Concerta

As I have posted elsewhere, The first three were taken during years of some really difficult emotional moments and I wonder if that kept me from realizing any benefit from the meds.

The Concerta was the last one and although I still was going through some heavy stuff, it wasn't like the earlier years.

But now that I am beyond so much of all that, I have been toying with the idea of trying the meds again.

If I do, I'll do just what 4everblackeyed mentioned, and find another good doc to see... someone who knows adult ADD/HD.