View Full Version : Importance of taking Focalin at the same time each day

uahwb
12-28-09, 02:55 AM
Is it important to take focalin at the same time every day? I usually take 10 mg in the morning, 10 mg in the afternoon, and 5 mg in the evening if I have an exam to study for. However, sometimes I change the routine and I do feel "off". Is it important to stick with a routine and if I miss a dose, for example, my morning dose, should I try to catch up in the afternoon?

Also, do you take the same amount each day? I usually take 25 mg., but some days I will only take 15 or 20. Thank you!

- wb

kibbled_bits
01-17-10, 06:54 PM
Thats a good question actually I notice on the weekends if and when our routine is different my son is less corporative. If you forget one or get up really late you could always try taking an extra 5mg (15mg IR total) to see if that kicks you into gear.

Good luck

geogator
01-21-10, 01:53 PM
I've been on Focalin XR (20mg) & generic Focalin (10mg) for the past 3 months after switching over from extended release Concerta (54mg). I also take Wellbutrin XL 300mg & Lamictal 10mg daily.

I've definitely had fewer side effects from the Focalin than the Concerta, which really made me sleepy for ~ an hour or so within about 45-90minutes after taking it in the morning & then again when the second & third "stages" would kick in later around lunch & mid-afternoon. The biggest side effect I have with the Focalin XR is I get a case of uncontrollable "yawns" about 45 minutes after taking it and again in the afternoon, no matter how much sleep I've had the night before! (Pretty embarrassing when you're having a meeting with someone & they think you're bored or uninterested!) The only other side effects I get from the XR are a dry mouth (be sure to drink plenty of water) & a MUCH decreased appetite (if I'm busy at work & don't get a chance to take lunch, it doesn't bother me very much). However, if I skip, look out later once the drug wears off, cuz I'll be an eating machine after I get home, so dinner needs to happen quickly or I'll be grazing on whatever's within reach! (Not good or healthy)

The generic script is more for a PM "boost", particularly if I have an evening meeting or function, as the XR is usually wearing off by about 3 or 4ish if I take it around 7-8:30am. I was told by the doc (correctly) that I just need to not take the boost after about 4pm or else I'll have a tough time going to bed that evening. (It's actually more like being bright-eyed & bushy-tailed at midnight vs. of getting needed zzzzz!) I have noticed, however, that I'll get a bout of grouchiness/short temper when the generic boost wears off. It's not all the time, but fairly often & particularly on the weekend. I'm speculating that when I end up taking the XR a couple of hours later than usual (say around 10 or so after sleeping in till 9am on Saturdays) & still take the "boost" around 4ish, that's when the grouchiness tends to come up (in the early-mid evening). I haven't yet tracked what/when I'm eating that day when I get in those moods but it's going to be my next step in trying to figure out all the nuances of this med.

BTW, the Lamictal was prescribed last month to attempt to "even out" the some of the moodiness & I've noticed (particularly over the last week or so) that the little stuff at work/home doesn't seem to bother me quite as much as it did before, but it's a very subtle difference, yet I still notice it nonetheless. Otherwise, I've had zero side effects from it.

Hope this helps you other Focalin users out. I too have had a tough time finding very many people who've taken it, so it's good that we can compare notes.

lefty1952
02-02-10, 05:47 PM
Newly dx'd and just got put on med. Focalin XR 10mg. and first day on it. Will update here.