View Full Version : 4 year old with ADHD.......

mumoftwo
12-28-09, 03:17 PM
Hi
I have a four year old in the process of being diagnoised with ADHD. He has driven us to distraction since birth. He cried ecessively since birth and as soon as he could move he was into everything to the extream. He never played alone, constantly cried for attension. Broke things, had wild tantrums, wouldn't acept no. Hit, bit and punched me and his brother. Constantly asked for food he didn't want...... The list goes on. I know that people say that ADHD can't be diagnoised at such a young age but there has always been something different about him. He is exhausting to look after and totally different from my son of 7 who went through the normal toddler stuff.

Anyway the Educational Psycologist and Paediatrition suspect (though won't diagnoise ADHD) because of his age. The Paediatrition has prescribed Ritalin but it isn't making any difference. He he been given 2.5mg and now 5mg once a day but it doesn't touch the sides. We are desperate for something to 'take the edge' off of his lack of attension and agression. I am scared that it won't work. With the school holidays upon us we need something to help - it's painful just getting through the days. He has also taken to rubbing his security blanket agains surfaces and I worry that he is developing OCD. He is also very insecure.

I don't know how people cope without medication for their children with ADHD, we feel like we barely survive - one day at at time. He requires constant supervision, he can't occupy himeself for longer than a couple of minutes, unless you give him new toys or a new environment each day.

Will stop moaning now!! Roll on the end of the school holidays!

x

MGDAD
12-29-09, 03:57 PM
It is tough, and some kids are tougher than others. 5mg is a reasonable dose for a child that small. If it does not work, you might want to look into a different medication.

Aggression is not a symptom of ADHD. That is more of a problem of regulating his mood. Stimulants wont help with that.

Little kids can be tough to diagnose. Make sure you find someone that is really good at it. Sometimes the younger child psychiatrists are more up to date on the research. Although not necessarily.

JennyH
12-30-09, 04:28 PM
Hugs. It's tough. I was told by my child's behavioral/developmental pedi that aggression/anger is in fact a sign of ADHD because it points to a low frustration tolerance, and she made a pretty big deal out of it. My son is only on Clonidine, .1mg twice a day (once in the AM and once in the PM.) It has certainly taken the edge off, so to speak. She wanted to start him on Ritalin first, but I said no stimulants and wanted to try the Clonidine first. He's been on it about a month now, and it's working very well.

MGDAD
12-30-09, 04:51 PM
Hugs. It's tough. I was told by my child's behavioral/developmental pedi that aggression/anger is in fact a sign of ADHD because it points to a low frustration tolerance, and she made a pretty big deal out of it.

I think there is a difference between impulsive responses to frustration vs anger that leads to destruction and lasts more than a few minutes. ADHDers are impulsive, but not necessarily prone to anger/rage.

Dizfriz
12-30-09, 05:49 PM
I think there is a difference between impulsive responses to frustration vs anger that leads to destruction and lasts more than a few minutes. ADHDers are impulsive, but not necessarily prone to anger/rage.

You are right in that ADHD kids are normally not any more angry than any other kid. It is just that they cannot regulate the expression of anger very well that makes them seem so. The 30% rule can apply here. They express their anger more like a younger child. The tantrums can come more easily and the outbursts are not as easily controlled as with non ADHD kids.

This is mostly a treatable issue with either medication, behavior management, or a combination of both showing a lot of success.

They can 1. become better at controlling their expression of anger and 2. medication can make it easier for them to do this.

Dizfriz

rickymooston
12-30-09, 08:56 PM
I don't know how people cope without medication for their children with ADHD, we feel like we barely survive - one day at at time. He requires constant supervision, he can't occupy himeself for longer than a couple of minutes, unless you give him new toys or a new environment each day.
x

My ex has a son like that. Its hard. He is not medicated yet. I'm ignorant about the benefits of medication; some people have good experiences with that. If it works, I don't see an issue with that.

Some ideas:
Channeling his energy
1) Get him involved in some kind of sports. Get a ball for him to kick around. You don't need to change the actity all the time. Be enthusiastic and it generally can be contagious. If you can afford to register him in organized sports ...
2) Read him stories but intereact with him during this time. Answer his questions and/or ask him questions about the stories.
3) Teach him how to brain storm. Choose a topic of interest and get ideas from you and him on that topic. Get him to learn early that he is creative.

Improving his coping skills:
1) Teach him to listen by never talking at him!!! If he is not looking at you, if he is talking about something else, he is NOT listening to you. Get his attention first. "hey hey, excuse me, look at me ...". Once he is looking at you, be intereactive. Get him to summarize everything you say.
2) Time outs. This was what my ex used as punishment. It seems to work; watch super nanny with him.
3) Don't tolerate him feeling he is stupid.
4) Don't tolerate him behavior badly; see 2 and generally mild assertive behvior

Coping techniques for you?
1) Tofu fa, ...
2) Hired help
3) ...?

wadcorbe
12-31-09, 08:44 AM
I have a 5 year old with ADHD, and we were finally able to get her diagnosed at age 4. She sounds very similar to your son. We saw a child psychologist who specialized in children with ADHD, and when we decided that we could no longer cope without medication, she gave us the name of a psychiatrist who also specializes in children with ADHD. She has been on 36mg of Concerta since June, and it makes a world of difference. Good luck to you, I hope you find the answer you're looking for!