I have a very low pain tolerance.
Is anyone have similar experience?

daveddd
12-29-09, 09:12 AM
exact opposite

Logic
12-29-09, 10:34 AM
I think my tolerance for pain sits quite high; Examples of this would be:

I turned up at A&E a few years ago with a 'swollen knee', and the staff were quite shocked to discover that I'd been hobbling around on it for almost three days before I decided a trip to the hospital might be needed as my knee had swollen to the size of a watermelon and had gone a funny colour... It was broken, and I'd torn the cartilage and damaged the ligaments. I needed surgery to pin it back together as the damage was so extensive.

I had a 'headache' for a few days but thought nothing of it, my parents took me to hospital (I was about 17) as they noticed that after I'd done anything (like make a drink or close a door) that I kept going back again and again because I couldn't remember if I'd turned off the tap or if I'd closed the door properly.
One X-Ray later, turns out I'd fractured my skull and was probably concust from crashing my dirtbike in a ditch about three days earlier.

I've been hit over the head with various objects over the years working on the Doors; ceramic ashtrays (quite heavy), pool cues, pint glasses, fists, a brick on one occasion, and although they caused damage, I don't recall experiencing 'pain' as such and carried on fighting until I'd done my job and threw them out into the street.
It's normally somebody else that will point out to me that I'm bleeding or appear injured. (oddly enough though I can't stand needles and can't look when they're stitching me back up :D )

Logic

shysmile
01-14-10, 10:08 AM
For me it depends on the type of pain. If I'm surprised by it (like for example being accidentally elbowed in the arm by my brother's sharp elbow, or burnt by unexpectedly hot sink water) I can be a real wimp and I'll almost always let out this loud horrible somewhat involuntary obnoxious yell of pain, lol.:p

But aside form the shock the pain isn't really all that bad to me. My yells make it seem worse. I'm actually not too bothered by pain overall.
Though I've luckily not had to deal with much serious long lasting pain of any kind before.

Cacho
01-14-10, 12:31 PM
Hmmm... I've specifically been told by a doctor that my pain tolerance is very high.

I also broke my nose w/o knowing it. I got home at the end of the day, looked in the mirror, and realized it was broken. Didn't feel a thing. (not in a fight, just some TOUCH football :o )

leapofaith
01-14-10, 12:36 PM
I have a ridiculous threshold for pain. I learned while in therapy that the combination of ADHD and being raised in a abusive home tends to increase a persons threshold for both emotional and physical pain.

Makes sense to me. With the ADD it was "painful" to compensate at times, I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult". Being raised in a abusive home, a child must find ways to cope, for the sake of mere survival.
This built up tolerance for pain can be a good thing at times. Other times in my life I have stayed in situations a lot longer than a "normal" person would have. Because my "normal" tolerance for pain is not normal.

Make sence to any one else?

tash11
01-16-10, 06:24 PM
for me it depends. I can not stand needles. They hurt me for hours or days.

But I got a crown a few months back with no Novocaine (because that comes in needle form) and it just felt cold. Not painful.

Some "pain" I really really don't mind. Mostly the kind that is instant and goes away in an instant. Pain that lasts and lasts (like a headache) just annoys me.

Maurice
01-16-10, 07:56 PM
Yes ADXP I have to go along with you on that low threshold for pain.

At one time I was pretty good at "biting the bullet." But after having ten surgeries on my right arm for giant cell carcinoma my pain threshold went to zero.

I have a very low tolerance to pain now. On top of that I have had chronic pain for over 30 years.

mildadhd
01-17-10, 01:23 AM
I have wondered about this question and never talked to any body before about it.
Since taking medication, I realized that I have a much higher pain tolerance before I started taking medication.
Like I feel more physical pain when I have better focus.
I really am not sure why,but I think about non labor jobs in the same topic.
Like I want to use my mind, instead of my aging bones.
Thanks for bringing the topic up ADXP. I also notice some types of pleasure in pain since talking the medication. Still hate those fingers and toes bumps and paper cuts and jelly fish stings and bee stings and school.
FunnyHead

Crazygirl79
01-17-10, 08:17 PM
I'm very strange in this regard, on one hand I have a high pain threshold when it comes to major accidents, serious injuries and being punched in the head by my ex but when I cut my finger or more recently slipped and grazed my knee I'd really feel the pain...how strange is that?

brain chatter
03-04-10, 04:51 PM
headaches i can't deal with...maybe cause when i was 6 i started having migraines and it lasted 3 yrs..

had to be in complete darkness and puked most times

other than that...high threshold...dentists don't scare me...no novacaine here...unless major

carped1em
03-07-10, 08:18 AM
I have a freakishly high pain tolerance but a veeeerrry low discomfort tolerance.

For example, broke my back in a car accident & didn't know for several days. Still worked delivering pizza's at night, office job during the day and made thanksgiving dinner for 20.

A moderately nasty headcold will reduce me to a multi sick day using, blubbery mess in no time flat. I can't even bring myself to make my own soup usually.

Werl
06-06-10, 04:53 AM
This is also a common thing with dyslexics. I'm tge same.

Marspider
06-06-10, 05:16 PM
I don't know if it's to do with the tendency of many on that spectrum (dyslexia, ADHD etc) to forget about their bodily functions but I have a fairly high pain threshold.

I have eczema and tend to itch if I have any allergies and I've heard that people who have a high pain threshold have a low itch threshold. I guess vice versa. Practically anything that touches me will make me itch.
Also I'm quite clumsy and used to knocking myself about and often will wonder about mysterious pains and bruises on my body and how they came about. I've been very physical most of my life so I'm quite used to being knocked about. And I know how to fall from martial arts. Pain doesn't scare me as much.

I do hate stubbing my toes though and have stopped refusing medicine for headaches. (they get worse otherwise)

Rebelyell
06-06-10, 05:18 PM
I can't be broken mentally as for physical pain I'm a lil *****.

deladaisy
06-10-10, 10:41 PM
If I get cut or scraped or get my finger caught in something I freak out and can't handle it but I loooooooooove getting tattooed and I have many piercings that other people get squeamish over. I guess it's the mental drive. I want the body modification so badly that the pain doesn't even matter.

footinmouth
10-19-10, 11:39 AM
Going to have to go with the opposite for me. I had my kids without meds, and it really wasn't all that bad, to me. I accidentally stabbed myself in the leg with a serrated knife one time (went into the leg almost 2 inches), and it was like nothing. I was giggling the whole time.

I've broken my foot falling down the stairs twice. Each time, I walked into the doctor's office to have them laughing when I tell them I broke it. They x-ray it and are like, "How the hell are you walking on that?" LOL

So, here? Pain tolerance is unusually high. I'm not sure why, though. Probably has to do with sensory desensitization and poor attention. I am usually like, "Ow! That ****ing hurts! Ooh. Butterfly." lol j/k

kittenparty
12-12-10, 02:56 AM
I have the opposite problem! Fairly high tolerance of pain. I sit really well for large tattoos and barely flinched at the piercings I've gotten.

Though my tolerance for auditory pain is extremely low. Don't know if that's the same kind of pain, but any sound that hurts my ears is almost unbearable. I used to have ear issues as a kid though.

tipoo
12-12-10, 11:33 AM
Mines the opposite. I think I just don't pay attention to pain unless its extreme, lol. Like when its -40 degrees Celsius out and I'm outside with people, they spend the whole time talking about how cold it is, what parts of their body feel like they will freeze off, etc. Me on the other hand, my brains in lala-land, the pain of the cold doesn't even register.

salleh
12-12-10, 12:44 PM
I think I have a low tolerance for pain ...very low.....oh the only place I don't freak out at needles, is at the dentist, for some reason , those don't bother me....mebbe because they use a numbing agent on my gums first ....ya think ????

other than that, needles ...{{{{{{{{{{{shudder }}}}}}}}}}}}....I had a C-section , and once I was awake again, I wouldn't let them shoot me up with demerol, ( and c-section pain is pretty fierce, after all they're cutting about half way through you ...., well at least it's a deep cut ) .....I prefered to take a pill, which was not nearly so effective.....

....I KNOW that's stupid, a brief pain of a shot, compared to not really getting rid of all the pain ....but that's how much I hate needles......I don't even have pierced ears !......How some of you guys have multiple piercings and tattoos .....I have no idea ......

....My usual idea of dealing with pain is take pills till it goes away ....ended up with tinisitus.....from taking so many aspirin from the ages of 19 to 39, when I had at least one headache every day .....

HollyBowers
12-14-10, 01:32 AM
My pain tolerance is more about emotion than physicality. Like others have said, if it's a shock, then I yell really loud and often act like I'm dying of it. :P If it's something I'm frightened of, like a blood draw, the anticipation will make it ten times worse.

My pain tolerance in and of itself, however, isn't that bad. It'll be interesting to see how I deal with childbirth. The anticipation/fear of getting an epidural, for me, is worse than that of idea of giving birth. I would also like to be unmedicated for other reasons. However, any time I think about it, I have all these messages in my head from when I was a kid and my mum would brush my hair not-so-gently and make me yelp. "Oh, you're pathetic when it comes to pain. I'd like to see YOU have a baby. You'll never do it."

I heard that a lot when I was younger. Getting over that and the internalized fear/worthless feelings is going to be my biggest obstacle.

Velvetdragon
12-14-10, 12:56 PM
I honestly have no idea. I don't know how my experience of pain compares to other people. It's something that bothers me sometimes. I have no idea how to find out. Haha.

Luvmybully
12-14-10, 10:59 PM
my daughter has a freakishly high pain tolerance. a few examples:

She had a baby with no pain meds.

She once broke her wrist in gymnastics and still tumbled on it for 2 more hours. She only stopped because it was so swollen it wouldn't bend anymore. She flung that cast around so much it took 10 weeks instead of 6 for it to heal.

As a 4 month old baby she did not cry when she got her 4 shots, she just GLARED at the nurse like "OMG I can NOT believe you just did that to me" The nurse was really freaked out.

My husband also has a high pain tolerance. He played soccer as a goalie for an entire season with a broken finger. He couldn't play with it splinted so he just left it.

When he is sick with a cold however he gives us his last will and testament and is convinced he is dying.

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 01:32 PM
I have a high pain threshold for most things... it was only after 3 hours of a back tattoo that I finally had enough, thankfully he was done.

I've also broken my ankle and got right back up and kept on going...

Fuzzy12
03-20-12, 06:19 PM
I think, it's quite difficult to judge this since pain is so subjective but I guess, I've got a rather low threshold for pain, both emotional and physical. Uggh..though I hate to admit it. :rolleyes: I don't deal well with any kind of discomfort, especially feeling too warm and stuffy. Hm, I've got a low tolerance for frustration and boredom as well. Seems like in general I'm not that great at coping with or tolerating anything. :confused:

Fraser_0762
03-20-12, 06:31 PM
I'm a hollow steel cube with cotton in the centre.

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 08:09 PM
I'm a hollow steel cube with cotton in the centre.

that makes me think of a pinwheel cookie- chocolate yumminess on the outside and marshmellowy stuff on the inside... oddly enough i like those but don't like the two ingredients normally by themselves, lol

pooka
03-20-12, 10:02 PM
I have a fairly high pain tolerance...I'm a bit of a klutz so I'm constantly tripping and bumping into things. That said, I've never actually broken a bone or had any serious injuries. I grew up with the "shake it off" method of healing taught to me by my dad, who was always more concerned about whatever I'd hit ("did you dent the wall with your head??" "that coffee table is expensive!") than about my injury. Even as a little kid I never really cried from physical pain. As soon as I had fallen down I was back up again in a flash going, "I'm all good!"

Spacemaster
03-20-12, 10:10 PM
I like the "high tolerance for pain, low tolerance for irritance" thing. That's sort of me, especially when it comes to itching.

I can sit for almost 4 hours straight of tattooing, but if I am itchy, I want to just freak out.

I cannot handle dental pain.

When I had my son, I had back labor. It was so bad I screamed bloody murder. I cannot even express how horrible the pain in my back was, except maybe it was like someone was stabbing my spine with a knife and twisting. I didn't even feel anything in my, uh, lady parts. all in the back.

It seems to me that most of my intolerable pain is nerve pain of any kind. (teeth, lower back due to snowboard tumble,back labor, etc.) Muscle pain doesn't really bother me.

Sometimes I'll have a migraine that actually scares me, because it's so bad I think something really bad is happening in my brain, like aneurysm or something. I'll weep in bed.