View Full Version : Counter the comedown of Adderall

the420htplateau
05-31-04, 11:05 AM
what is the best method to counter an adderall come down? I'm going to ask my doc about benzos, (klonopen, xanax) because i hear they are fairly safe and CAN counter it but im not sure. Also how safe is tylenol pm (diphenhydradramine and acetaphetamine) to sleep after taking adderall? this comedown is hell! i hate these migranes, and the i get really mad at stupid things and just want to be alone.....other than that it is a wonder drug. I for once in my life balance every single one of my tasks and one suffer. (without it if i focus on one thing, the other suffers, never can seem to get it all done, so ill have cleaning days, and work days, and family days, and computer days) id think that 30 mg adderall at 10 am, and a low dose of klonopen like at 4 would be safe........feedback please

Tara
05-31-04, 11:21 AM
Maybe talk to your Dr about ADDerall XR or a different type of medication.

Let him/her know in detail what you are going through. Maybe even write it down and bring it with you on your next appointment. There could also be some co-existing conditon that also needs to me treated.

I noticed the 420 in your name. If you are smoking Marijuana that could contribute to things too.

Chinch
05-31-04, 02:26 PM
you seem like the guy from dextroverse IRC. maybe not.

anyways, for the "comedown" it depends on what you're talking about really. i would say there are a few points to the comedown.

- insomnia
- loss of energy, start getting tired
- depression or mood lowers

benzos would only help for the first one, they would make the second two worse. also, benzos are usually not prescribed with stimulants because the drugs are exact opposites in their mechanism of action.

so they defeat the purpose of one another. if you WERE to take a benzo, it would probably have to be xanax because of its short half life (around 8 hours). if you were to take klonopin or valium, those have extremely long half lives (50-100hrs), and they would basically cancel out any adderall you would take for the next several days.

even taking xanax at night would probably make the adderall you take the next day not work.

doctors probably won't do that anyways, because it puts the body into too much shock, going WAY up, the WAY down. (brain chemical levels). this is a good way to throw your body into bipolar tendencies or something.

if you take adderall on a daily basis (and not recreational one), these effects go away. when i first started taking it, i couldn't fall asleep until daylight the next morning. i also couldn't eat a bite of food. now, i can fall asleep by 1 or 2am and i can eat 2 normal meals a day. the side effects go away within time.

Vero
05-31-04, 04:21 PM
I was recommended to try DHA to counter the rebound effect. It is a perfectly harmless herbal - it's found naturally in breastmilk and formula companies are now adding it to baby formula. It's helps in promoting brain function and seems to complement my Strattera well. I don't get so lethargic during the daytime as before. I also have a friend on dexadrine who takes DHA and it helps him with the rebound too.

Gregster
06-01-04, 09:41 AM
I'd talk to your doctor about perhaps trying a different drug or delivery system if you are having such problems. Most Drs wouldn't give you something like Xanax to counter the effects of another drug in the long term. I would also stay away from the Tylenol PM as a long term solution - particularly because of the acetominaphen (sp?) - it's not good for your liver in large or long term doses.
Regards,
Greg

jimfish
06-09-04, 06:57 PM
I take between 20 and 30 mg's of adderall a day; 20 mg XR and 10 tablet if necessary. I have been taking this for over three years with different amt.s of MG's.
I take atenolol(tenormin) b/c it helps relieve some of the irritation that comes when the adderall wears off. Also, the adderall doesn't work as well for me as it used to and I am thinking about adding an ssri such as lexapro, paxil, remeron, buspar, or one of the like; do you have any suggestions and why.
I think being healthy is very important in feeling well even when adderall wears off. A B-vitamin, 5-HTP trytophan, omega 3 fatty acids(DHA), possibly other aminos are and a multivitamin are all important to take as well.
Comments?

Gregster
06-09-04, 11:07 PM
Try the Remeron if you have trouble sleeping! I love this anti-depressant. It makes me sleepy, and I sleep through the night, but I don't find myself groggy the next morning. It has good anti-anxiety properties and few sexual side effects. It will make you sleepier at 15mg than at 30mg and some people find it makes them too sleepy and stop taking it for this reason.
My $.02 worth, anyway.
Regards,
Greg

bookwriter
06-10-04, 04:35 PM
I take 20 mg adderall xr. To counter the "comedown" in the afternoon, I divide the dose....taking 15 in the morning and the other 5 at about 11:30 (about 4 hours later). The xr is a smoother process to begin with. Spacing it out is actually giving me: 15 mg for 4 hours, 20 mg for the next 4 hours, 5 mg for the next 4 hours.

This has really helped to relieve the "drop off" feeling in the afternoon. So far, it's a pretty good day, with focus in the morning, more focus mid day for writing, bookwork, etc., then, much less in evening when I don't really need it anyway.....with "smooth" transition all the way through.

Also: since I've been doing this, I have been falling to sleep so easily and sleeping sound all night.

bookwriter
06-11-04, 08:17 AM
oops! wrote that out wrong......dividing the dose is actually giving me: 7 1/2 mg for first 4 hours, 10 mg the next four, about 2 1/2 mg for the evening....because when you take the xr, only half is released at a time. Oh....how do we keep up with it all? : ) : ) : ) Anyhoo.....for the whole day I'm still just getting 20 mg.

PatMesser
06-13-04, 01:15 PM
How can you split the dose up? I thought it only came in capsule form.

bookwriter
06-14-04, 12:28 AM
Open the capsule. My son's Dr. said I could just sprinkle his on applesauce. I've done that. Also, we have a compounding pharmicist who sells us empty capsules, so I use those to make it easier. Check with your Doctor about it to see what he/she recommends.

My son is trying Strattera for the summer, so we've been weaning him off the adderall. His perscription is for 30 mg, but he's down to 10 mg a day now. I asked his Doctor to continue to write the perscription for 30 mg, because it's only about 5 more dollars......and now, it will last 3 x as long.

PatMesser
06-14-04, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Hope your son does well on Straterra.Pat

DRANSWORLD
11-29-05, 02:40 PM
I use to take about 40 mgs of adderall right when I woke up in the morning. This would make me talkative and outgoing, great for learning. I then had troubles sleeping and hated the "empty hole feeling" in my chest; where one's soul should be found. I found that If I had enough of: Painkillers, Xanax, Klonopin, Marijuana, Alcohol, or even Kava Kava Tea. Then I would be fine for a harsh comedown. While this cycle may be fun, it tends to mess up your life in a few ways. Like Clinch said, what I was doing was getting way UP in the morning, and then slowly intoxicating myself from like 4:00 pm till Ten. I had to drop out of school- I messed up my relationships - and I almost ended up in rehab. So you decide. I am still prescribed adderall, and my doc has just prescribed Remeron for sleep disturbances and depression. If I had to pick one med that proved effective for long-term managment AND slightly fun; I would pick XanaX as an effective co-existing sleep aid. (or if you can get Halcion thats even better). But i doubt a doc would prescribe it...
-Drans

AddysonsMom23
11-29-05, 04:37 PM
How long have you been on adderall? The first week I took it(XR20mg) I had bad comedowns, almost to the point I was going to quit it. Then it just stopped. I have no problems now.

bluemagic
11-30-05, 06:50 PM
I normally don't have any trouble sleeping with adderall but my doc gave me remeron to counter the weight loss that adderall was doing, but if it helps my hunger I can't ever tell since the other side effects are too strong to notice anything else. even a 7.5mg dose of Remeron makes me extremely tired for an entire 48 hours, makes waking up the morning next to impossible, and it makes me really impatient, angry, and violent.. lol kind of scary actually..

but to get back on topic.. I found the best solution to adderall comedowns for me were consistent doses throughout the day instead of all the day's dose at once so I kept a stable level until it finally dropped off late at night where I could get some natural sleep. It took me almost a year to find the perfect dose & times though.

TheBrainiac
11-30-05, 08:29 PM
What exactly do you mean by "comedown" that sounds like a reference to coming down off of a "high" Adderall is not meant to get "high" on. If you are getting high on it, eithe r you dont have ADHD, or you are taking too much. I certainly dont get high on my dose, and have little to no rebound, which is the medical term for the medication leaving the body.

If you are abusing Adderall, be very careful. If you need help, seek it...It will be the best decision you ever made...

Best of luck

Nocturnal
12-01-05, 01:12 PM
Brainiac, so you're saying it's not possible to come down from using Adderall legally? I think you're wrong and the proper term is probably withdrawal. When the drug leaves your body you no longer have it. Many people experience this, and no we're not drug addicts. In the latter part of the evenings I sometimes do get very agitated and annoyed very easily. I also get headaches as well sometimes.

Dogg
12-06-05, 05:36 PM
IMHO adderall sux. The come down is brutal. The dysphoria would leave me in complete utter despair. Ditto for ritalin.

The D-amphetamine like dexedrine is supposed to be much better than adderall. People supposedly dont have trouble sleeping on it. Doctors dont like to prescribe it for some reason.

jennyjay
12-06-05, 07:34 PM
I am on 60 mg of regular Adderall per day, I am also prescribed xanex, (.05 mg X 3 as needed per day). It works for me, with xanex, you develope a tolorence really fast, so if u feel weird or tired at first it will probally go away with in a week or two.

TheBrainiac
12-07-05, 11:17 PM
Nocturnal I think you misread my post. The original post referred to coming down off his Adderall high. If he is taking Adderall to get high, then there is a problem plain and simple.

I am also Rxed Alprazolam with Adderall, and it isnt contraindicated as Xanax has nothing to do with Norepinipherine levels. Taking a Xanax or a Clonazepam is not going to cancel out the effect of the sympathomimetic effect of ADDerall either. Do some research on the properties of each of these medications each person is different in what their physician will give them. Benzos affect gaminobutyric acid, ADDerall stimulates Norepi, Dopamine and Serotonin production within the frontal lobes of the brain. It is not uncommon for a physician to Rx a benzo in addition to the stimulant. It doesnt slam you in opposite directions. If the rebound is bad, either you have not been on the med for long, or you are taking too much. These medications are often used in comorbid conditions such as Anxiety disorders.

Abusing Adderall is another problem in itself, and yes it is possible to come down off of ADDerall legally, if you are having to "comedown" or "crash", you were most likely HIGH, and were not obtaining the ADDerall legally.

The lowest effective dose! If XR wears off too fast, then it may not be strong enough, irriitability is a side effect of overstimulation and rebound as well. This passes with time. Remember each person is different, and dosages have to be titrated accordingly, sometimes that takes a little time.

Please dont jump on me before you have any idea what is going on, its inconsiderate. Now, you may say that I assumed he is getting high on the Adderall. Yes, that too is inconsiderate, but if you read the post. One can see drug seeking behavior all over it. Im sorry, but facts are facts.

Nameless rb26
12-10-05, 04:11 AM
have a cigarette! ..kidding.

I usually just listen to music when I'm coming down. It soothes my nerves. Though sometimes it amps me up if it's hardcore music and I get ****ed off.

Ok.. what I'm doing lately is just trying to consume some nutritious food while I'm coming down and drinking lots of water. The food seems to feed my brain and give it the last bit of energy that I need to function before I finally pass the F out for the night!

Try it, it may work for you. =)

Valhallabound
12-10-05, 08:54 AM
if you are having to "comedown" or "crash", you were most likely HIGH, and were not obtaining the ADDerall legally.

Well, yes and no Braniac. If the individual is literally "crashing" hard and wrought with anxiety then, yes, they probably were high and either were abusing the substance or the dose is too high. I wouldn't jump right to the conclusion that the Adderall was obtained illegally, that can be a pretty harsh acusation with little proof. Now, I do have a "crash" of sorts some days, especially if tired for some reason, and it is more of a feeling of realizing my ADHD symptoms have returned or become more noticeable as the meds wear off. I usually take a Klonopin and look for the next day to keep trucking. I'm going to talk to my doc next appointment about the possibility of having some IR on hand along with my 30mg XR so I can take the IR "as needed" when it wears off too early in the evening.

~MJL

opteron
12-12-05, 09:14 PM
I dunno about adderall, today is the first day, and it's been maybe 10 hours? I feel no comedown or whatever (this is 20mg.)

now ritalin, on the otherhand, was horrible. I would get REALLY depressed. I hated it.

Dogg
12-13-05, 01:12 PM
Brainiac

I never took Adderall to get high. I would actually take the lowest dose and cut the pills in half.

When it would wear off it left me feeling so hollow inside. I just wanted to cry.

Mee
12-14-05, 04:42 AM
the420htplateau do not even think about it , benzos are made to use a max of about 10 days and are the most dangerous addictive drugs on the planet . I learned the hard way when I was given xanax to take to help with the comedown from Adderall ,,,, this is the place and forum that will give you the real info on benzos... http://www.benzo.org.uk/ ... If you need a benzo for ADD meds your ADD meds are not right .

These people here and Dr.'s that say a benzo is Ok to take with ADD meds is just plain wrong ... Taking a benzo long term is just plain wrong .. talk to anyone who has tried to stop taking them it is a living hell .

jennyjay I know you do not want to hear this but if you have been taking Xanax .05 3 X a day for 6 months or more you are in real trouble ( 1.5 milligrams of xanax is the equivalent of 30 milligrams of valium a day .. may not feel like it becuase the Adderall is pulling you in the other direction and you now have a tolerance ) , try not taking it for a week or so and you will see how addicted you are to it . Trust me you should get a taper schedule http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm and get off Xanax ASAP ..... I am not bashing you just trying to help ............... you have no idea how bad a drug this is and for a Dr. to prescribe it for long term is just plain wrong and negligent .

Ihavekeys?
12-14-05, 12:32 PM
These people here and Dr.'s that say a benzo is Ok to take with ADD meds is just plain wrong ... Taking a benzo long term is just plain wrong .. talk to anyone who has tried to stop taking them it is a living hell .
benzodiazapines (xanax klonopin valium etc) are so bad because you never know your addicted until one day you see someone else who is

Mee
12-14-05, 09:12 PM
most people who are on them have forgotten what it was like to feel good and if they try to stop it is hell on earth ...................

mrsvoorhees26
12-18-05, 02:28 PM
i have stopped my benzos periodically, i take clonazepam and xanax, and i have not gone through any withdrawl symptoms. i take both for panic disorder along with my adderall and honestly going off the benzos for a few weeks does not affect me that terriblly. now yes, my panic may be a bit more frequent, but that is the extent of not taking them. however everybody is different, and i agree with you Mee, any benzo can carry an effect of withdrawl and they are not the best for long term, unless you have a condition that warrents long term use such as panic d/o or even bipolar d/o. there are some of us out there that need these drugs to function well, and i am one of those persons. hopefully one day once i get more stable i can lessen the need for them, but honestly i don't see that for a long time. i would rather take my chances with withdrawl "hell" than live with the threat of a panic attack.
-heather

Ihavekeys?
12-19-05, 01:06 AM
Mrsvoorhees26,

I'm glad benzos have helped you. honestly without them I'm a wreck. I don't abuse them or anything actually i only take .25 mg klonopin at night before i go to sleep. I just started ADD meds and the first few days when i could feel the pill wearing off the klonopin did ease the rebound. ive stopped benzos three times unsuccessfully because i've been on them so long, just like Mee (haha) said, i don't remember how to act without them. I can get through the withdrawals just fine, as i see you can, but I just wish I could just go w/o them all together. benzo.uk.org has some good ideas for sloooooow tapering and thats usually what I have heard from other people. do you know of any good tricks for staying off them? i'm glad to see that they are helping you (helped me too, stopped my panic attacks completely) and i wish you success with all your endevors :)

i have stopped my benzos periodically, i take clonazepam and xanax, and i have not gone through any withdrawl symptoms. i take both for panic disorder along with my adderall and honestly going off the benzos for a few weeks does not affect me that terriblly. now yes, my panic may be a bit more frequent, but that is the extent of not taking them. however everybody is different, and i agree with you Mee, any benzo can carry an effect of withdrawl and they are not the best for long term, unless you have a condition that warrents long term use such as panic d/o or even bipolar d/o. there are some of us out there that need these drugs to function well, and i am one of those persons. hopefully one day once i get more stable i can lessen the need for them, but honestly i don't see that for a long time. i would rather take my chances with withdrawl "hell" than live with the threat of a panic attack.
-heather

Mee
12-19-05, 11:01 PM
It was hell for me to get off them it can be done but it is pure hell .

Ithahyris
07-11-06, 02:26 PM
I dunno about adderall, today is the first day, and it's been maybe 10 hours? I feel no comedown or whatever (this is 20mg.)

now ritalin, on the otherhand, was horrible. I would get REALLY depressed. I hated it.
Ditto on Ritalin. I'd get so horribly depressed a little while after I take it. It was horrible. The comedown on adderall is usually just annoying case of insomnia. But insomnia sucks very much also. I just make sure I sleep the day before so I'm ready for a 48 hr. day.

joann007
07-12-06, 10:29 AM
I'm on 20 Mg of generic adderall a day, and my biggest problem is the headaches and stiffness in the neck that result when the medicine begins to wear off. Occassionally I'm irritable, but that has more to do with my mood than the medicine. Someone once said on this forumn that if you have to take more prescription drugs to counter the side affects of other prescription drugs, then something is wrong. I agree with that, I can't imagine that all these drugs are good for our body in the long term (although I could be wrong-don't quote me on that). Here are some non-drug ways that I would approach the situation:

1. Talk to your doctor and see about switching to another type of adderall (IR or XR) or possibly trying another generic version. As many people have already commented, this medication works very differently in everyone, and your current dosage might just need a tweak.

In the meantime, here are some things that have helped me:
-explaining that to my bf that sometimes I need a half an hour alone in the evening when the medicine wears off. He understands and sometimes peace and quiet is all you need when in a bad mood
-GOLF! Beleive it or not, driving ranges are a great way to get out any frustration you may be feeling at the end of the day.
-A cup of half decaff and half caffinated coffee around 6. If I have it any later, I'll be up all night.
-For my headaches and muscles: cup of hot green tea and a warm bath. The golf also helps with this, too.

Hope this helps!

AJB187
07-12-06, 06:30 PM
When I happen to smoke pot on a day I've taken Adderall I get extreme anxiety and the comedown is much worse, therefore I would suggest against it. The best way to ease the comedown for me is eat some fruits and vegetables then take a multivitamin and drink lots of water since Adderall seems to drain most of it out of your system.

You were saying
07-13-06, 04:30 PM
my doc just prescribed me .25 of xanax three times a day for the come down and anxiety.

JustNeedHelp
07-17-06, 08:09 PM
OK im not sure taking such a mind altering drug is safe (xanax etc.) but provigil i sa nootropic a wonder drug thats used fo narcolepsy and its said to be like amphetamine but to have the wierdest feel to it (and trust me it does) ibut not like a high feel more like a normal feel its wierd but i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it for the come down my crash consists of me getting cranky and tired and sorta hungry sometimes, the provigil keeps me awake(and because im not tired im not cranky) and helps to level out my comedown SO SO SO SO much so if you have a tired comedown i HIGHLY recommend using provigil i tried it for the first time today and it eliminated my come down COMPLETELY SO HAPPY! its amazing and so good for your body unlike xanax and other anti anxiety and anti deppresant pills out there (but can get costly if you have a insurance company who says they wont pay for it but you can fight the insurance co. and make em pay for it!