View Full Version : at the Dentist...

Teach35
05-31-04, 02:33 PM
Does anyone else have problems with going to the dentist?

Everything about the denstist makes me very anxious. I have many fillings from years of soft teeth. I've had very nice dentists, too, with one exception. But the very thought of going to the dentist makes my teeth hurt and talking about it makes me well-up with tears. Even several novicaine shots don't help, I still feel like I'm in pain.

Here's the things that bother me: the sound of the drill, the vibrations from the drill, laying upside-down, looking at the dentist (especially when you get the up-the-nose view), the sound of the dentist breathing, the taste of the filling materials, the feel of the cotton on the mouth-opening device, the suction sound, and having to be still (I fidget).

I'm white-knuckled all the way, my whole body tenses up the whole time. I've tried thinking about other things, closing my eyes, concentrating on the music playing. Nothing seems to work. One mean dentist I went to actually mocked me and called me a "little girl" for feeling this way.

I have to have two fillings replaced soon, and I'm wondering what has worked for anyone else who feels this way. What about nitrous? Or super-sound-blocking headphones?

Thanks - H

paulbf
05-31-04, 03:52 PM
When I was a kid my dentist didn't give me enough novacaine then I had someone who said no I was not supposed to feel any pain at all. More novacaine worked though that needle is excruciating to me. Nitrous is wonderful but you might have to pay another hundred bucks or so for it.

I've had a lot of dental work done and need to go badly now and am avoiding it.

Ian
06-01-04, 12:27 AM
I began to have difficulty making appointments. I have always had trouble with dentists and doctors. Most of the fear centres around skin punctures.

It bothered me that as I age I was not going to be able to assist those very people that are going to try to help me, so I got into this fear with my councillor and we made some progress.

I had done a bit of research on the web and had some ideas of my own. Surprised? Not likely.

Hellene, my councillor is a nurse so she began by telling me stories about medical stuff until it made me uncomfortable. Through this we began to learn my limits and how to push them. We started very small and worked up. I was eventually able to give her a subcutainious injection and poke myself too. I went with her when she had blood drawn as well.

We worked on this for maybe four sessions over two months or so. I did a lot of work on my own. One of the most effective things I did was to watch some very graphic non-fiction "emergency room" type shows on tv.

While I was working on the increased exposure to the sights and sounds of the things that I found uncomfortable I used a technique that is very effective in keeping my head clear. I gathered that my blood pressure was dropping like a stone when I passed out at the dentist. I learnt that I can spike my blood pressure ten points by clenching the big muscle groups in my butt and legs. If I was feelling a little woogy or thought I might be feeling that way sometime soon, I'd begin clenching for a count of five and then off for five slow beats.

Also I did not realise that you could get a helping hand from chemistry for this stuff! I was introduced to lorazepam.

Between the three approaches I've been able to appear like a normal human being under the care of my well meaning competant dentist. I not only feel more self respect over this but I feel somehow that I'm being respectful of his skills by being a less troublesome patient. I'm sure I have been no great prize over the years for many medical staff.

I have had blood taken without a problem and a number of other encounters with the devil but in all instances I think I have appeared like an adult and not the panic stricken "deer in the headlights" that I was before beginning to work on this panic.

The down side is that the exposure and clenching practise has to be maintained in case I'm subjected to circumstances that might surprise me. I'm behind on this. I'm behind on everything.
Hope this helps. Ian.

Teach35
06-01-04, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm interested to hear more about nitrous. You said it's wonderful, and I've heard that before, but I wonder...
Does it feel like there's pain but you don't care? Or does it help you not to feel it (vibrations and such)?

I'll have to look up lorazepam, too. I don't know anything about this one.

Thanks again -H

jaimegerise
06-01-04, 11:48 PM
Ok, I must be, like, the ONLY person I ever knew who actually likes going to the dentist...I must be bonkers or something! It's very relaxing to get my teeth cleaned! If I could afford it, I'd let them clean them every week!

Don't particularly like the cost though...hehe.

paulbf
06-02-04, 12:16 AM
You can feel them poking around but don't care on nitrous. Even without it I'll admit to relaxing at the dentist if the novacaine is adequate I close my eyes and drift off.

jaimegerise
06-02-04, 12:27 AM
ack don't need anything for me to feel like a relaxeddoot heh

Jellybean
06-02-04, 12:49 AM
I never get enough novacaine. I am very pain intolerant. They think I am full of it when I request more novacaine. I got nitrous the last time, that was the way to go.

The shots hurt very bad to me.

The drilling hurts and tickles something fierce. I put up a good front I think, but I am very whimpy painwise.

I feel very anxious as to when that huge needle will suddenly cause the pain.

muffin47
10-25-05, 08:04 PM
I dislike it all. They put you through all that pain, and then charge you an arm and a leg for it.

ggrozier
10-25-05, 09:47 PM
I have bad teeth too. Always tried to avoid the dentist, but eventually they will get you. Relaxing music helps--my dentist plays new-age type music for meditation and relaxation, which relaxes me. I concentrate on that and don't pay attention to what's going on. Maybe you can take in an ipod-type player and listen to music you enjoy, or that relaxes you.
Always keep your eyes shut--never look at all the equipment, the dentist, the assistant,etc. Once they start on me, I never open my eyes until they're finished. If you don't see it coming, maybe you won't think about it.
Also my dentist uses the nitrous. I don't think it does anything for the pain, but it is very relaxing--almost like when you get anesthetic for minor surgery and you start drifting away--it doesn't put you to sleep but you are very relaxed.
And you might look for a dentist who's sensitive to your anxiety--if they don't take you seriously they don't deserve your business! The other day my dentist was discussing compassion and being in it for the satisfaction of helping people and relieving pain and trouble--you want someone like that.

speedo
10-29-05, 11:00 PM
I sympathize with tensing up. Every muscle in my body seems t otense up when I am in a dentists chair. Niitrous can help, but It is way too intoxicating... I have so far bitten two dentists without realizing it. Nitrous is kind of odd... you can feel everything, but not at the time it happens... it also has a mildly hypnotic effect so one can easily zone out totally while the dentist works.

Me :D

Does anyone else have problems with going to the dentist?

Everything about the denstist makes me very anxious. I have many fillings from years of soft teeth. I've had very nice dentists, too, with one exception. But the very thought of going to the dentist makes my teeth hurt and talking about it makes me well-up with tears. Even several novicaine shots don't help, I still feel like I'm in pain.

Here's the things that bother me: the sound of the drill, the vibrations from the drill, laying upside-down, looking at the dentist (especially when you get the up-the-nose view), the sound of the dentist breathing, the taste of the filling materials, the feel of the cotton on the mouth-opening device, the suction sound, and having to be still (I fidget).

I'm white-knuckled all the way, my whole body tenses up the whole time. I've tried thinking about other things, closing my eyes, concentrating on the music playing. Nothing seems to work. One mean dentist I went to actually mocked me and called me a "little girl" for feeling this way.

I have to have two fillings replaced soon, and I'm wondering what has worked for anyone else who feels this way. What about nitrous? Or super-sound-blocking headphones?

Thanks - H

Ian
10-30-05, 12:33 AM
I've never had nitrous. I take Ativan and all is well with the world. The whole truth is that I try and keep myself exposed to those types of proceedures through video and live stuff to keep my threshold for it lower than it might be without the exposure.

I still don't like it, but I don't make a mess of the appointements any more.
Cheers!

SnappyCloud
10-30-05, 02:28 AM
I actually enjoy going to the dentist. I go at least twice a year for a relaxing cleaning. Recently, I had a root canal done - no pain, no fear. When I was a child, I feared the dentist and needles. I don't know why I don't anymore, but I'm glad I don't.

fasttalkingmom
10-30-05, 04:58 AM
I HATE the Dentist for all those reason.

I spent years at the dentist and ortho. Now that I'm older I just can't take it and avoid going.

I need to replace fillings (old fillings starting to fail) Ins. doesn't cover the cost and I can just imagine what that'll cost !

I need a bridge ... $900.00 +

I need 2 caps.... $1000.00 +

Ins. doesn't cover any of this, another reason the Dentist makes my skin crawl, MONEY !!

ggrozier
10-30-05, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I had a root canal last month (at least the fifth) and it was extremely relaxing. Maybe the music, maybe that I told her in detail that the root canal before that (by a different endodontist) had to be stopped because there wasn't enough novocaine and that must not happen again! It was awful, feeling the drilling get closer to an un-deadened nerve, and signaling him to stop and put in more med, and he did it several times before it was enough, and until then I felt like Dustin Hoffman in that movie (Marathon Man?).

Anyway, it was amazing that a root canal can actually be a pleasant experience. I need two more for now, and definitely am grateful to have found this woman.

crime_scene
10-30-05, 12:25 PM
For the root canal I had, I spoke to the endontist about my fear and she recommended the little blue pill approach (essentially a sleeping pill deal), popped 1 hour before.

Now there are differences in dental professionals, this I know, because she was ALSO very very gentle. The dental lounge chair was unbelievable comfortable, and they brought me a blanket to keep warm and apparently...I fell asleep. What a root canal treat, if that's possible!

For my regular dentist, I discussed with him my issues with fear, and we came up with a workable solution that has been absolutely awesome.

1 hour before, I take a sublingual pill, then during the session where there is drilling, I have nitrous, which I can control with my breathing. It has been a godsend.

Oh, and yes, my teeth are VERY sensitive, so I also have freezing, and a generous amount of it.

There is often music or tv on in each cubicle, plus the dentist chats away while he works.

It's worked out so well that I am now able to make appointments and keep them, and have no problem with making an emergency appointment if I feel something is not right.

What a peace of mind, I tell you. In both cases, I really only got those arrangements because I talked to them about my real fears and said I needed work with them to find some solutions that would allow me to undergo the work, which had to be done.

That was the angle I took, if this is any help.

cs

GlamourDollXoXo
03-29-09, 01:42 AM
I love going to see my dentist. He's the same dentist I have had since I was little. When I need dental work such as fillings or a root canal I bring my ipod and turn it up full blast and I get gas and novacaine and I feel like I'm on cloud nine and the time just flies.