View Full Version : Tips for reading AD/HD Books

Tara
04-13-03, 08:07 PM
Many times books can be very overhwhelming for ADDers. Books about AD/HD do not have to be read "Cover to Cover". There's nothing wrong with skipping around to different sections.

I prefer buying AD/HD books instead of taking them out of the library. That way I can highlight, underline and even write in the margins. I also like using colorful sticky notes while I read.

pidderpadder
08-08-03, 11:00 PM
I have some other tips. You can also use sticky flags. Another suggestion is to use a bible highlighter rather than a regular highlighter, especially on some types of paper, becuase the wet ink tends to be absorbed and fade over time.

Wheel1975
08-14-03, 11:24 PM
And where is one purchased? How many colors are there? (I like to highlight in 4 to 6 colors...)

<grin>

LiLMissADDitude
09-17-03, 02:06 PM
Theyre those highlighters with diff ink made for thin bible pages. You can get 'em from Christian stores or other places where they sell bibles and accesories for church.

I've always loved reading. Only things that interest me of course. I rarely use highlighters and stuff when reading unless its something I dont like. For instance.... a textbook for school. Then I use about 5 diff colored highlighters and each color means a diff thing. Like important dates in green. Famous historians in yellow etc etc

I'm wondering.... I did this learning styles test and when I read silently I scored 100% on the comprehension test that followed. When I listened to someone else read it orally I scored 95% But when I read it out loud I only scored 35% !!!! Has anyone else taken a test like this? If ya have what'd ya score? I am wondering if my score was related to my ADHD. I always thought that reading out loud was supposed to get more info into your brain not less. The 35% that I got correct were mostly guesses!!

D.Lerious
04-28-04, 12:27 AM
hmmm...I agree that it's a good idea to skip around. Also, skim the first time around.

Nucking_Futs
04-28-04, 10:16 AM
In reading ADD book's my husband and I take turn's since most of them are so techinical and boring. We read about three chapter's a piece and write a brief synopsis of what we read for each chapter if it look's like it may pertain to me or I think he missed something I'll go back and read the chapter and so forth. That's right folk's you now know I"m a cheater lol.

Energizer_Bunny
07-23-04, 05:07 PM
I have the problem of "I LOVE BOOKS" I think it is an OCD thing. I don't even want to get rid of my books I have collected that are in boxes in outside storage. But I end up buying so many that I get confused on which ones to read first. Or I buy a new one and start another and don't finish the first one. This is true when it comes to the ADHD books I also find myself in Barnes and Nobles sitting in the middle of the isle on the floor looking at books with people stepping over me because it can take me a while to make a decision before I buy one. (hmm could be a great way to meet someone :o )

Fiction, I can completely read through........not a problem there.

auntchris
01-19-05, 01:25 PM
All good suggestions, I never knew that there were special highlighters for Bibles. Thanks for the info. I also,like to skip around in a self help book...to see the sections that pertain to me. I usually end up reading the book all the way through though.

I also LOVE books, I use to help a friend in her book store, so you cane imagine the books I have. Bunny, I also have books in a storage area since they all dont fit in my apt. I thought I was the only one who wrote in books and highlighted what I thoght was important. well that is all I have to say now. I am glad there are others out there like me .

Oh, I forgot to tell you....the first time I was highlighting in a text book for college my grandma was staying with us and saw me as she was looking over my shoulder. She gave me a look and said, " You are suppose to be writing in that book, stop it. " She didn't know it was a school book, Just a bit of humor, guess you had to be there.

solitary bee
05-07-05, 11:07 PM
"I'm wondering.... I did this learning styles test and when I read silently I scored 100% on the comprehension test that followed. When I listened to someone else read it orally I scored 95% But when I read it out loud I only scored 35% !!!! Has anyone else taken a test like this? If ya have what'd ya score? I am wondering if my score was related to my ADHD. I always thought that reading out loud was supposed to get more info into your brain not less. The 35% that I got correct were mostly guesses!!"

that doesn't surprise me at all. or should i type that 'AT ALL!!!' i know that i can read stuff out loud and not register anything at all that i'm reading. and i read well. just my mind goes off to something else and my mouth is on autopilot.

chloe516
03-05-06, 07:49 PM
I'm wondering.... I did this learning styles test and when I read silently I scored 100% on the comprehension test that followed. When I listened to someone else read it orally I scored 95% But when I read it out loud I only scored 35% !!!! Has anyone else taken a test like this? If ya have what'd ya score? I am wondering if my score was related to my ADHD. I always thought that reading out loud was supposed to get more info into your brain not less. The 35% that I got correct were mostly guesses!!
For some people it may be easier to read aloud, but generally people remember and understand more if they read silently.

jasonmark
05-04-06, 04:57 PM
Try some speed reading techniques- there are some simple ones in the ADHD movie BEING IN CONTROL: Natural Solutions For ADHD Dyslexia and Test Anxiety

janesays
05-19-06, 11:31 PM
I just read "Driven to Distraction" from Dr. Hallowell. I am now reading "Healing ADD" from Dr. Amen. And My Head Hurts. I liked Driven to Distraction better. I thought he presented alot of interesting case studies. I could relate immensly to "Will" on page 67. Thinking about the different types of ADD in Dr. Amens book just confuses me. I skipped over alot of it. The SPECT stuff is interesting. He suggests ADD is paired with another type of disorder the ADD being more prominent. It gets into alot of facts that I can't quite put together. It's hard to look at your own brain objectively like it's just another body part. It's almost disheartening to see some of the images and think that my brain has such large areas that don't "work" or have enough blood flow. It make's me wonder what I did to myself to deserve this.

addusin
06-28-07, 06:15 PM
I bought many many AD/HD books since 1995. At first I bought many on the biology and neuropsychiatry of AD/HD (and anxiety). Then I started buying books on practical advice, how to cope with relationships, with co-workers/bosses, with society, etc.

I have found that a lot of those advice AD/HD books (and self-help books in general) say the same things over and over but very few of them have any practical ideas (besides "get a non-ADD friend to do it for you"...well duh!). Um sorry, but that's a sure-fire way to lose friends and I value mine too much.

I believe it was Russel Barkley who said it perfectly when he commented on the Predominantly Hyperactive Impulsive Type (but what I think applies to other types), “ADHD-PHI is a problem not of knowing what to do, but doing what you know”

I wish some of the authors of these books would give more "how to" advice, rather than "what to do" advice.

Before you buy anything, check here or Amazon or other sites that allow users give feedback (and be sure to read all the feedback, even the ones who gave poor ratings).

Good luck!

whitedaikan
05-02-08, 11:28 AM
delivered from distraction by hallowell is really good

eleanorabernathy
05-05-08, 11:19 AM
I have the problem of "I LOVE BOOKS" I think it is an OCD thing. I don't even want to get rid of my books I have collected that are in boxes in outside storage.

OMG, this is me! Unfortunately, most of my books have been sitting in boxes in my garage since I moved in Apr. 05. :eek: I have bookcases now, just need to clean up the clutter (ahem) and make room for the bookcases so I can unpack the boxes.

and I bought three new ADHD books, trying to get through one (You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?!, 2nd ed.) and can't find the other two! I borrowed several books from my library here at work, and had started reading Driven to Distraction (until I got distracted from my Amazon order!) :D

busyhermit
05-09-08, 09:48 AM
I'm the complete opposite and it bothers me. I have such a terrible problem with reading. I think mostly it has to do with concentration and patience. I have to keep re-reading parts because my mind has wandered off to something else while still reading. Plus I just feel like I am wasting time when I have so much else to do...and just sitting there reading - I can't take it. I bite my nails, jiggle wiggle and squirm, re-read, re-read, get a headache and give up.

With the best intentions, I've bought books that would help me to know what the heck I'm doing with my home business, plus Driven to... (as well as) Delivered from Distraction. I use them to create a flat surface under my mouse pad when using my laptop on my bed. I feel guilty about it every time that I have not read them. Pathetic, really.

When do people find time to read anyways? Just curious.

nomADD
09-14-08, 04:44 PM
I have the problem of "I LOVE BOOKS" I think it is an OCD thing. I don't even want to get rid of my books I have collected that are in boxes in outside storage. But I end up buying so many that I get confused on which ones to read first. Or I buy a new one and start another and don't finish the first one. This is true when it comes to the ADHD books I also find myself in Barnes and Nobles sitting in the middle of the isle on the floor looking at books with people stepping over me because it can take me a while to make a decision before I buy one. (hmm could be a great way to meet someone :o )

Fiction, I can completely read through........not a problem there.

I so hear you. I have zillions of books (ok that's an exaggeration) and don't like to get rid of any and am constantly looking to acquire more.

Funny thing is, I will only skim most of the non-fiction stuff, but can read the fiction (esp sci-fi and fantasy) from cover to cover.

DesertDave
09-15-08, 12:39 AM
My current tactic is to get them from the library rather than buying them. That serves two purposes. If I have to get it back to the library, I'll keep reading and not put it aside (and not pick it up again for too long). It also keeps my clutter down because it goes back. If I find one I need for reference, then I'll buy it.

I'm finishing up Delivered from Distraction. I really like the writing style. I can read it while I'm on the stationary bike at the gym. (Two birds, one stone)

I no longer use highlighters. I used to but when I went back, I felt I'd over-highlighted. And you can't un-do it. Now I use yellow stickies. Especially in library books! I get so p***ed when I find a book someone has highlighted.

We're all different.

iisabelle
12-08-08, 09:54 PM
I don't allow myself to use the library because I never ever ever ever return the books on time.

Ever.

We're talking a year late.

Neurocog
06-15-14, 06:27 PM
Having similar problems with tests and unless medicated, one set of sequenced symbolic representations look the same to me if English or otherwise. Try popular neuroscience books from off the beaten path. Russ Barkley discusses how in 1992, as he waited for his boys at Boston Science Museum, he randomly selected a book, used by BBC in 1976, TV series The Assent of Man, by Jacob Bronowski. Bronowski asserted, our human capacity to stop behavior in midstream, ponder the situated circumstances, use self-talk, divert emotionality, and working with subordinate memory systems, generate complex problem solving strategies, thereby providing a cognitive niche to adapt and evolve.

Today's scientific mind-set stipulates the job of empirical enquiry requires exploring lateral networks, often sharing the same neurology, neuropsychological issues, have overlapping research focuses, even on same locations; needing to be integrated into understanding this nasty disorder. There are many sound academics studying ADHD with peer reviewed papers, never mentioned in our ADHD field as existing, with social psychology as one good example.

Read books from the fringes like Steven Pinker and The Language Instinct, recommended by Barkley years ago as a text most should read. Preferring audio books, a cheap, used hard copy is acquired the same time. As the book is read, notes inside the brightly colored highlighting with 4 varied colored flags, protrude from ages. I'm able to process two texts a week with a half dozen papers, but nobody is testing my comprehension.

I'll fail tests on materials when their presentation was written by me......It seems my assumed perspective seldom matches the test construction. The problem has been explained as my search for meaning, looks deeper then the test questions presume. In cognitive psychology it's referred to as "perceptually attuned", managed by frontal processes, and involves my language deficits. There are other test forms that allow me to frame the answers context that are passed even if little is actually understood.

The better understood the assigned materials, the worst my test scores. Just recently Steve Pinker presented an essay on writing for science (EDGE.org), when he remarked about his weakness, quickly related with called The Curse of Knowledge, as his trap. Other then relating, my custom is to stay away from fast-lose women, cheap whisky, radioactivity, and test protocols, and life become less tragic.