View Full Version : Buspar doesn't seem to be working?

innaminute
01-07-10, 10:01 AM
Hi there,

I'm on Provigil 200mg a day and Buspar - 30mg a day (15mg in the morning, 15mg at night). It seems to help my overall anxiety to a small extent, but I'm still having my "flare ups" in the morning and at night.

Ultimately, my goal is to take anti-anxiety medication and learn how to handle the anxiety behaviorally. But, so far, that hasn't bee really happening. :)

I can tell that the anxiety is making my blood pressure raise pretty high. I have a cup of 1/4 caf coffee in the morning everyday, including weekends. On weekdays, I get the anxiety and I find my blood pressure to be around 137/95... sometimes a little higher with a high pulse rate. On the weekends? Same routine and I'm at 130/80 with a lower pulse rate.

I've put in a call to my doctor and I'm waiting for one back. So, I'm wondering if anyone has found a medication that isn't a benzodiazepine, that works well for combating anxiety... I know beta blockers are an option, but I haven't done much research on it (yet).

I also read that buspar reduces the dopamine which seems somewhat counterproductive to someone with ADHD who needs the dopamine?

Any suggestions on other ones to research? I know this is the doc's job, but I like to be educated and informed about what my options are.

Thanks!

excel
01-07-10, 01:55 PM
I am on busspar too. It takes awhile to get the full effects. You are almost at the max dosage for busspar.

innaminute
01-07-10, 06:39 PM
I am on busspar too. It takes awhile to get the full effects. You are almost at the max dosage for busspar.

I've been on Buspar for close to a month... Shouldn't it be doing it's thing by now?

excel
01-07-10, 07:39 PM
I think it takes longer than a month to receive the full impact of Buspar. I could be wrong. I have taken it for years now. I took a long time ago for my excessive URination and it worked for that rather quickly. I quess it may depend on the symptoms. I remember reading that it does take longer rthan most other medicines for anxiety. I think it was the first anxiety medication not to have sedating and other side effects of the previos aniet medication. Medications may work for one person and not for another,

innaminute
01-07-10, 08:14 PM
I think it takes longer than a month to receive the full impact of Buspar. I could be wrong. I have taken it for years now. I took a long time ago for my excessive URination and it worked for that rather quickly. I quess it may depend on the symptoms. I remember reading that it does take longer rthan most other medicines for anxiety. I think it was the first anxiety medication not to have sedating and other side effects of the previos aniet medication. Medications may work for one person and not for another,

Thanks so much!

Interestingly enough, my "overall" anxiety is better. But, I get anxiety pretty much the same time every single morning and every single night. I'm pretty sure it's situational, and I know I need to do some work on the reasons why, but dang, it's driving me crazy(er than I already am). :(

excel
01-08-10, 11:32 AM
Same time every night and morning. Having unreasnabel fears and unreasonable thoghts would do it.If your have a fear of driving for example and your going on a trip would give you anxiety. Do you know where your anxiety comes from?

excel
01-08-10, 02:18 PM
Thanks so much!

Interestingly enough, my "overall" anxiety is better. But, I get anxiety pretty much the same time every single morning and every single night. I'm pretty sure it's situational, and I know I need to do some work on the reasons why, but dang, it's driving me crazy(er than I already am). :(
I have taken BuSpar with Zoloft, Paxil and now Cymbalta. And now BusSpar, Cymbalta, and Adderall

innaminute
01-08-10, 10:24 PM
Same time every night and morning. Having unreasnabel fears and unreasonable thoghts would do it.If your have a fear of driving for example and your going on a trip would give you anxiety. Do you know where your anxiety comes from?

Yeah, I do know where my anxiety comes from. I keep meaning to sit down and write about it, and I've started working on it with my psychologist, but with the holidays, it's been a few weeks since I've gone in.

That's the hard thing - I know I need to work on stuff, but I never get around to it. (Ha!) I just don't *stop* and *breathe*, and when I do, I get anxiety because it's holding me up. Go figure. :)

excel
01-09-10, 12:54 PM
Mine comes fron not getting enough oxegen whrn i was born

innaminute
01-10-10, 09:36 AM
ahhh... I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks. :(

I don't know if there's a medical reason behind the anxiety.

I just got a book - The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It has good reviews and figured that might help me some. Here's hoping.

I'd rather not have to take another medication... I'd rather learn ways to get past the anxiety. But, if it's chemical... maybe my learning will help supplement medication.

How do you deal with your anxiety?

excel
01-10-10, 12:19 PM
Excercise these days and biofeedback which are only tempory. medication is reaaly the only thing that keeps it away for me. I hate taking medicine as well

innaminute
01-10-10, 08:02 PM
thanks. i just got back to the gym today after not going for a while. hopefully i can get into a good routine and it'll help.

thanks again.