View Full Version : Finding brand name Dexedrine

((Vibe))
01-07-10, 02:00 PM
Hey everyone, hope this is in the right place.

If I'm not mistaken, although GSK has halted production of Dexedrine it is still available (though hard to find)

Most of the places I call only have generic and say that they can't order brand name, or that it's backordered, or not available etc etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I might be able to go to get my script filled with name brand dex?

(I'm in SE TX btw, Houston area)

Any input is appreciated. Thx!

Trooper Keith
01-07-10, 02:21 PM
Medications can only be kept on pharmacy shelves until their expiration date, which is usually 2-3 years after it is manufactured. With Dexedrine no longer being produced, and the expiration of these medications causing them to be off the shelves at pharmacies, I strongly doubt you'll be able to find brand name Dexedrine ever again.

((Vibe))
01-07-10, 04:19 PM
Medications can only be kept on pharmacy shelves until their expiration date, which is usually 2-3 years after it is manufactured. With Dexedrine no longer being produced, and the expiration of these medications causing them to be off the shelves at pharmacies, I strongly doubt you'll be able to find brand name Dexedrine ever again.

Wow is that really the case? Drugstore.com shows that they carry "Dexedrine" but doesn't offer anymore information than that. What about the stuff made by GSF? Is it possible to mail order it or anything?

Say it ain't so. :(

Trooper Keith
01-07-10, 04:56 PM
I'm not familiar with GSF? I don't believe it's legal to mail order CII drugs, but I really do think the problem you're going to run into is that it hasn't been manufactured in at least two years, and so most of what still exists is probably expired or soon will be. If I'm not mistaken, and I could very well be, Barr/Teva is the only game in town for Dexedrine now.

CptNemo
01-07-10, 05:59 PM
KMiller is right on the dexedrine part.

Call GSF to verify,but their dexedrine spansules are GSK brand,which is the best you will find these days,in the US.

SilentCat
01-11-10, 12:05 PM
Hi, KMiller --

In the U.S., there's no federal prohibition on mail-ordering "Schedule II" (a.k.a. "C-II") medications -- but the restrictions are considerably tighter than for C-III, C-IV, or C-V prescriptions. As I wrote last night in a different thread, concerning that very question:

Essentially all AD/HD neurostimulants are classified as C-II under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act. C-II is the most heavily restricted class of prescribable meds (C-I exists, but is a category of substances deemed by the U.S. DEA -- rightly or wrongly -- to have no medical usefulness whatsoever. Under virtually all circumstances, C-I substances are prohibited from being prescribed at all.)

C-II, also called "Schedule II" (it's a Roman numeral, thus would be read as "C-2" or "Schedule 2") prescriptions are subject to far more stringent controls and record-keeping requirements for both doctors and pharmacies than the requirements which apply to C-III, C-IV, and C-V.

In addition, with mail-order pharmacies it can become somewhat complicated because you're dealing not only with U.S. Federal drug control law, but also the drug control laws of the state in which you (and presumably, your doctor) are located, as well as whichever other state's laws may apply to the particular mail-order pharmacy in question. Believe me, it can get confusing.

But the basic rule is that there is no federal prohibition on domestic mail-ordering of C-II medications. International importing is, however, strictly prohibited -- you can't have 'em shipped in from Canada, etc. (not without breaking some serious laws, at least.)

There are other, additional "distinctive" restrictions as well -- "distinctive", in that they apply only to the C-II category.

(Unlike C-III, C-IV, and C-V scripts...) C-II prescriptions may not be FAXed to a pharmacy.

In terms of how many days' supply of a C-II med may be 1) prescribed by a doctor, and 2) dispensed by a pharmacy, that also depends on both Federal and applicable state(s) law(s). At the end of 2007, the DEA enacted some modifications in federal policy (which, for all intents and purposes, used to be that C-II prescriptions weren't to be written or filled for anything more than a single 30-day supply -- period.) That's been changed, but the wording's a bit confusing. Here's the link to the DEA's comments and discussion of the 30-day vs. 90-day supply issue, and the reasoning behind the changes they chose to make:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2007/fr1119.htm

Now, just as before, C-II prescriptions may not be written with refills, though the wording of the recent changes create some rather creative (or, depending on your point of view, just plain silly), er... "workarounds..." in that policy. You'll see what I mean when you read the DEA information. But I've had out-of-state mail-order pharmacies tell me on the phone that they would be more than happy to fill a single 90-day C-II prescription, if my doctor elected to write one -- my intuitive impression, though, is that most M.D.'s won't write for 90 days on a single C-II script (for multiple reasons, but probably including the fact that the DEA is also looking over their shoulders.) As I said, it all really can become pretty confusing.

Some states allow 90-day fills, others don't.

Another state-to-state variable is how many days after the date shown on the prescription the patient has to get the hard copy into the pharmacy's hands, before the pharmacy considers it "expired", and thus null and void. For example, a mail-order pharmacy in Alabama told me they had to receive the script within 7 days (!) of the date it was written. Pennsylvania, 30 days. (30 days seems to be more common for C-II scripts. If I recall correctly, most other prescriptions for "less" controlled medications expire six months after they're written -- but they also allow for refills, may be FAXed in, etc.)

I'm sure there's more that I'm just failing to recall, offhand. But I think I've hit most of the major points, at least, in terms of legal questions connected with filling U.S. C-II prescriptions through the mail.

Regards,
--SilentCat

Trooper Keith
01-11-10, 12:33 PM
Thank you. I'm familiar with the Controlled Substances Act, policies regarding refills (and workarounds like writing three prescriptions dated a month apart), and so on, as I work in a pharmacy. It is not, however, a mail order pharmacy, so I have no frame of reference. Thanks for the heads up.

I know in some states the actual mailing of the script itself is illegal, which was probably the basis of my reasoning.

SilentCat
01-11-10, 01:51 PM
Hiya, KMiller --

Wow... In some states, the act of mailing it is illegal?? Given that you're "in the trade" (that you work in a pharmacy), I'm sure that you're more aware than most just what I mean in describing the situation as "complicated" (in trying to sort out overlapping -- and sometimes contradictory! -- restrictions imposed... First by the Feds, and then additionally, by not even just one but possibly two -- or perhaps more -- different states!)

Among my "favorite" state-level controlled substance laws is one in New Jersey, with which I'm well acquainted, N.J. being my home state:

Consider this bone-headed N.J. C-II dispensing law. On a single Schedule II prescription, a N.J. pharmacy is restricted to dispensing no more than "120 dosage units or a 30-day supply, whichever is less". Using d-AMP tabs as an example, if you need anything more than 40 mg./day (four 10 mg. tabs * 30 days = 120 dosage units), you're "S.O.L. in N.J." -- so to speak. ;)

To illustrate why I call the NJ Schedule II dispensing law "bone-headed": In tablet form, d-AMP exists only in 5 mg. and 10 mg. dosage units. Consider a regimen of 40 mg. per day (not at all unreasonable for an adult, being treated for AD/HD.)

For a 30-day supply, a doctor might write that either as (four 10 mg. tabs/day) or alternatively, as (eight 5 mg. tabs/day). In terms of the State's goal of "controlling the substance"? Those two dosage regimens are effectively the same -- the same amount of the drug. But under NJ pharmacy law, the first prescription is legal to dispense, while the second (equivalent) prescription is illegal.

Now that's bone-headed!

Subtracterall
01-15-10, 12:32 PM
Hey everyone, hope this is in the right place.

If I'm not mistaken, although GSK has halted production of Dexedrine it is still available (though hard to find)

Most of the places I call only have generic and say that they can't order brand name, or that it's backordered, or not available etc etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I might be able to go to get my script filled with name brand dex?

(I'm in SE TX btw, Houston area)

Any input is appreciated. Thx!

Glaxo Smithkline makes them.

SK is on the prescription bottle itself. So it's probably some permutation of GlaxoSmithKline, SmithKline, something to that effect.

Spansules [capsules], they do have, if they don't, they can order them.

If they're telling you otherwise they likely simply don't know.

Ask for the pharmacy manager....ought to get that straightened out pretty quickly.

I know because my Doctor's pharmacy has to order a large box that says Dexedrine in huge letters on the front and is designed to look all snazzy for some marketing purposes....and it's ordered from GSK... paid in part through the bridges to access program...through GSK.

drossum
08-20-11, 11:21 AM
I have had narcolepsy for over 35 years and have taken Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) to control the effects of the disease. Recently Glaxo Smith Kline stopped manufacturing Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) and passed on the license to CorePharma with distrubution through Avedra. I can no longer obtain the GSK spansules. The CorePharma spansules give me headaches, something I never had with the GSK spansules. I believe that there is something in the CorePharma formula/process that is different than GSK.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem

tigert
08-22-11, 06:27 PM
I have had narcolepsy for over 35 years and have taken Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) to control the effects of the disease. Recently Glaxo Smith Kline stopped manufacturing Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) and passed on the license to CorePharma with distrubution through Avedra. I can no longer obtain the GSK spansules. The CorePharma spansules give me headaches, something I never had with the GSK spansules. I believe that there is something in the CorePharma formula/process that is different than GSK.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem

Corepharma claims that they have not changed anything in the formulation, that they are still made in the same factory, etc.. but I'd trust them about as far as I could throw them. I haven't used their new brand dex but I did get headaches from corepharma adderall years ago, corepharma has a reputation for cutting costs and producing cheap junk..

I use the both barr IR tabs and the barr spansules, both are decent quality in my opinion. I used GSK spansules for a while but didn't feel it was worth the extra $ over the barr spansules.

Canadian4Life
08-22-11, 11:00 PM
I am on dexedrine spansules and here in Canada I'm pretty sure the only ones are brand name. I get GSK brand spansules covered because of this on my insurance. I have never seen dextrostat or any dexedrine tablet ever around here it's all spansule

tomlinson
08-23-11, 04:57 PM
[...] I really do think the problem you're going to run into is that it hasn't been manufactured in at least two years, and so most of what still exists is probably expired or soon will be. If I'm not mistaken, and I could very well be, Barr/Teva is the only game in town for Dexedrine now.

KMiller is right on the dexedrine part.

Call GSF to verify,but their dexedrine spansules are GSK brand,which is the best you will find these days,in the US.

Glaxo Smithkline makes them.

SK is on the prescription bottle itself. So it's probably some permutation of GlaxoSmithKline, SmithKline, something to that effect.

Spansules [capsules], they do have, if they don't, they can order them.

If they're telling you otherwise they likely simply don't know.

Ask for the pharmacy manager....ought to get that straightened out pretty quickly.

I know because my Doctor's pharmacy has to order a large box that says Dexedrine in huge letters on the front and is designed to look all snazzy for some marketing purposes....and it's ordered from GSK... paid in part through the bridges to access program...through GSK.

I have had narcolepsy for over 35 years and have taken Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) to control the effects of the disease. Recently Glaxo Smith Kline stopped manufacturing Dexedrine (http://www.dailystrength.org/treatments/dexedrine) and passed on the license to CorePharma with distrubution through Avedra. I can no longer obtain the GSK spansules. [...]

Having done some research on this issue, I've found that GSK does not list Dextroamphetamine as one of its products on either its USA or Canada websites.

http://us.gsk.com/html/medicines/index.html
http://www.gsk.ca/english/index.html

And it's a fact that in 2010, CorePharma acquired the U.S. NDA for Dexedrine<sup></sup> (dextroamphetamine sulfate) SPANSULE<sup></sup> sustained-release capsules.

So, the Spansules are no longer available from GSK - and haven't been since late 2010.

http://us.gsk.com/html/media-news/pressreleases/2010/2010_us_pressrelease_10084.htm

(Perhaps some pharmacies and distributors still have product on their shelves, but it's very close to the expiration date.)

Barr (a division of Teva) continues to offer generic sustained release dextroamphetamine sulfate "Spansules", as well as generic IR dextroamphetamine sulfate IR tablets.

So, it appears quite certain that:

1. Barr (generic) is the only choice in the USA for IR dextroamphetamine sulfate, the brand name of which is Dexedrine.
The brand name IR is no longer available in the USA.

2. Barr (generic) and CorePharma (brand) are the only choices in the USA for sustained release dextroamphetamine sulfate, the brand name of which is Dexedrine Spansules.