View Full Version : ANYTHING out there to GAIN weight??

cinfid12
01-07-10, 07:21 PM
I am getting so frustrated its not even funny. I cannot put on weight, adderall kills my appetite but Ive been off it until I go back to school which is next week. I still havent been able to put on weight I believe my appetite is still lower than normal.

What is out there to increase my appetite???? I am getting pretty PO'd with this weight loss. I'm looking into allergy meds because the side effects are weight gain. But i want something thats going to make me hungry more. Please don't suggest marijuana, I know it gives you the munchies, but I also need to be studying although Im getting pretty tempted. Any ideas???

squeekybrain
01-08-10, 04:18 PM
Were you having trouble with your weight before the medication and the meds are simply making it worse?

I have trouble with weight as well. I have always had some slight aversions to food, I hate chicken, I hate beef, I don't like salty, and when eating a regular meal I feel like I don't want anymore after a handful of bites unless I was seriously starving before I sat down to eat. For reference, I am 5'2" and weigh about 92-94 lbs. Some of that is due to my very slight bone structure. My wedding ring is a size 3, and most people's ring fingers wouldn't be that small even if they were pure bones.

Anyway, I have been / am there. I am nursing a baby and it's all I can do to eat enough calories so I don't feel faint. I have always been this way.

Whether the meds or you have this predisposition anyway, here's what I do. I eat a milkshake most days. When it's too cold for those (even tho I live in So Cal), I get a big steamed milk from a coffee place with some flavor in it, and always ask for whipped cream on top. I force myself to drink instant breakfast in the morning when I don't feel like eating. I also force myself to eat say, maltomeal or oatmeal at night when I don't feel like eating. I prepare each with whole milk instead of water and put whole milk and brown sugar on top.

IF you are truly considering another drug to increase your appetite, consider marijuana. I know this is a controversial recommendation, but I assure you it is far less harmful for you than allergy medications, if it is harmful at all. You can try using it at night when you don't have to be anywhere or function well, have some snacks ready to eat, and you will chow down on them and actually enjoy them, then you can go to bed or gel in front of TV or whatever. The only caution to the wind with this is if you have had addiction problems in the past, or if you begin to feel paranoia while using it.

Also, exercise stimulates appetite. When I can get a good hour of cardio in, I'll eat a plate of pasta and a side of bread like nobody's business.

Those are things I do or have done and they have worked very well for me.

Then, just get ready for people to hate you when you say you have to force yourself to eat :D

Edit: I just saw your line about marijuana... pft ADD skimmed right over that even though your post is short enough to read the whole thing LOL. Anyway, you can still do it at night after everything else is done. You don't need to do it all day. You can add a pound in 10 days with just 300 extra calories a day. That's an english muffin with butter & peanut butter on it! So very late night snacking can have a big effect on your weight gain without also making you less hungry during the day. That's the problem with a smoothie, let's say, that has 600-800 calories. Sure, it's a lot of calories, but defeats the purpose if you then don't eat. So just think of small things that will give you a few hundred extra calories a day. It makes a big difference, and it's why it's so easy to gain weight too. Just small things can give you an extra pound every month, which makes it 12 pounds a year. It sneaks up on people that way because the extra calories add up fast.

RedHairedWitch
01-08-10, 05:46 PM
Weight gain and protein powders (milk shakes) can work wonders.

really
01-08-10, 10:31 PM
Ritalin actually helps me eat more, strangely. I still prefer Adderall because of the better results.

This is not healthy at all, but a friend of mine is doing this:

Eat two boxes of fat-loaded mac and cheese in the AM (Calories: 2,000+).
If you can muster another in the evening, eat two more boxes (Calories: 2,000+).

That'll cram weight on if you're desperate. I am looking into ways to get high quality nutrition for minimal eating -- got a lot of work to do there!

(And I also know that SSRIs tend to promote weight gain, so if you have a comorbid like anxiety or OCD or depression and you're on an SSRI, give it a little time)

cinfid12
01-08-10, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers, I have done protein shakes but i feel like I need to find another powder that contains more calories. THe mac and cheese sounds good but there is absolutely no way I can force down two boxes at once haha. Trust me I've used marijuana before and yes it definitely increases my appetite, the only problem for me is that I sometimes feel a little "out of it" the next day. My friends usually are fine but I dont know why it affects me that way. But I would rather not use this method if I don't have to.

really
01-08-10, 10:56 PM
I don't know if this is any use -- but I have heard of nutrition researchers who, when they want to conduct experiments, get pills that are chock-loaded in whatever they want, sometimes calories and sometimes essential nutrients.

I don't know anything about that, though. If you find anything, let me know.

whorton
01-09-10, 12:05 PM
I have to agree with RedHaired Witch on this one. Whey or Soy protien would probably be your best bet. I would add it in as a snack 2 - 3 hours after Breakfast and Lunch. They both provide about 180 calories when mixed with with water. By if you mix it will milk you add anywhere from 90 to 150 calories to the 180 calories the Protein mix already has. I like the Chocolate Fudge personally of the Whey Protein.

Sam's club I know carries the EAS Whey Protein in a 5lbs bag for about $30. It comes in Chocolate, Vanilla and I believe strawberry flavors.

Cro-mag
01-13-10, 11:35 AM
Do you exercise? Doing C.V. in the morning before you eat will increase your appetite. Also lifting heavy weights in the evening will help you gain weight. Even if you are female do some weights and have some protein drink afterwards. Protein in the morning, plenty of carbs and fat throughout the day and a high protein meal in the evening.

Also a good Idea to take vitamins and minerals. Whether you are underweight or overweight getting the right balance of nutrients helps no end. I advise you read "The Optimum Nutrition Bible" by Patrick Holford to begin with.

Stimulants not only inhibit your appaetite they also increase metabolism and inhibit the absorbtion of vital nutrients.

StoicNate
01-14-10, 04:36 AM
I'm also very skinny off meds. I try to eat more meat, like chicken and turkey to keep my weight normal.
When I was on meds I made myself protein shakes, the ones that had carbs and weight gaining properties every 2 hours and ate some granola.

inattentiveprof
01-15-10, 07:16 PM
Ensure plus is very easy to drink, digests quickly and gives you 300-350 calories.