View Full Version : Bad to take Tylenol/Advil PM on a regular basis?

Grasshoppaa
01-09-10, 04:12 AM
Title pretty much sums up the question. Is it actually bad for you to regularly take OTC sleep-aid drugs such as Tylenol PM or Advil PM, besides the fact that they make you feel hungover in the morning? I have been taking them about 3+ nights a week lately because Ive been having trouble sleeping.

Also, is the otc sleep-aid only medicine (its basically the PM-only part of the Tylenol or Advil PM) and better/worse to take?

Thanks!

APSJ
01-09-10, 04:22 AM
I don't know the answer, and am also curious about this.

My largely uneducated guess would be that between a sleep aid with or without a painkiller, you might be somewhat better off taking it without if you're not in pain. Advil, anyway, can be hard on your stomach.

I've been taking over-the-counter doxylamine succinate for years, although not on a daily basis, and haven't noticed any problems. I don't take it very often anymore because I have a prescription that is more effective and doesn't leave me feeling as tired the next day, but I do still occasionally, when I forget to take the prescription pill on time(the script takes longer to work), or in an effort to conserve them (it's also a good deal more expensive).

I've mentioned that I take it to my doctor, and he seemed to disapprove of using antihistamines for sleep in general, but he didn't seem worried, and didn't give me a clear reason for it. My sense was that it was more a preference for the prescription than concern about the OTC meds.

Maurice
01-09-10, 04:38 AM
I don't know the answer, and am also curious about this.

My largely uneducated guess would be that between a sleep aid with or without a painkiller, you might be somewhat better off taking it without if you're not in pain. Advil, anyway, can be hard on your stomach.

I've been taking over-the-counter doxylamine succinate for years, although not on a daily basis, and haven't noticed any problems. I don't take it very often anymore because I have a prescription that is more effective and doesn't leave me feeling as tired the next day, but I do still occasionally, when I forget to take the prescription pill on time(the script takes longer to work), or in an effort to conserve them (it's also a good deal more expensive).

I've mentioned that I take it to my doctor, and he seemed to disapprove of using antihistamines for sleep in general, but he didn't seem worried, and didn't give me a clear reason for it. My sense was that it was more a preference for the prescription than concern about the OTC meds.

You are correct about the Advil use although in the long run Tylenol is just as bad or worse on your stomach. The only reason I can think of about your doctor not caring about your taking antihistamines to sleep is because drowsiness is the side effect from then and if you can get help by taking them to sleep there is really no harm done.

Grasshoppaa
01-09-10, 05:26 AM
Hmm, good to know, and thanks for the quick replies!