View Full Version : Brand Dexedrine

antny
01-11-10, 10:50 PM
Hey all, who makes Dexedrine brand name? In other words, who is the primary Dex supplier? Is it GSK? I want to make sure my pharmacy gives me the brand name. I don't get generic since my insurance company covers like 99% of brand name. I'm going to ask my Dr to prescribe me Dex and see how it does compared to Vyvanse.

Also, I have a feeling I am going to need way more than normal prescribed. Like 40MG maybe from the ratios I researched. A 15MG dex spansule won't do anything since Vyvanse at 80MG is starting to get weak. 14 hours went to 6. Does this mean I have to get (4) 30 day supplies at 15MG each?? That would be 4 co-pays. Why doesn't this stuff come in like a 50MG pill.

SilentCat
01-11-10, 11:31 PM
Brand name Dexedrine is sold under GSK's banner (though it's actually now being manufactured by other, smaller companies, under license to GSK.)

Dexedrine Spansules are available in the U.S., in strengths of 5, 10, and 15 mg.

Dexedrine (instant release) tablets are no longer available in the U.S. They are available in Canada (again, manufactured by another company, under license to GSK) -- but international imports violate U.S. federal law.

Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) and Vyvanse dosages are not even remotely equivalent, milligram for milligram, because Vyvanse is a pro-drug -- meaning that the d-AMP molecule is attached to something else (in this case, an amino acid), so it's molecular weight is considerably heavier than straight dextroamphetamine. Each mg. of Vyvanse contains only a fraction of a mg. of d-AMP.

Another problem (indirectly related) has to do with the relative strengths of the different available existing amphetamine products. "Mixed amphetamine salts" (i.e., Adderall IR and XR and their generic equivalents) -- which are (approximately) 75% d-AMP by weight -- are available in much stronger individual dosage units (that is to say, stronger individual tablets and capsules) than dextroamphetamine ever was -- or at this point, all but certainly, ever will be. Adderall (IR) is available in a 30 mg. tablet. d-AMP was never manufactured in any strength greater than 10 mg.

In certain respects, this puts patients being treated with dextroamphetamine at a decided disadvantage, in terms of the options for flexibility in the dosing regimen -- and especially so, in a state like New Jersey -- where in regard to a single prescription for a C-II controlled medication, pharmacies are legally prohibited from dispensing more than "120 dosage units or a 30-day supply -- whichever is less".

Subtracterall
01-15-10, 11:56 AM
It actually says SmithKline on one part of the prescription bottle.

If going through GSK's bridges to access program, I do know that if you get 10mg capsules your maximum is 60 per month of those.

I forget if 15mg's are the same, or if it's less.

attention
01-21-10, 01:24 PM
http://www.clinicalpharmacology.com/apps/images/photo_us/020/dexe002t.jpg

These were manufactured for~60 years and are no longer being made.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/images/multum/Dextroamphetamine%205%20mg-MAL.jpg
http://images.ddccdn.com/images/pills/mtm/Dextroamphetamine%2010%20mg-MA.jpg
These Malinkcroft brand are your best bet 5@10mg IR