View Full Version : Medication Questions

gichny13
01-14-10, 11:11 AM
Hello. I am new here. My son is 9 and he was diagnosed with ADD in the first grade. We've muddled along until now with the help of great teachers, but things are getting a bit worse. To make a long story short, we've decided to try medication. Here is my dilemma: We tried Concerta (extended release). I gave it to him on a Saturday morning because I wanted to try it at home before I sent him to school on it. I gave it to him at 9 am, which is later than I would have on a school morning and later than the doctor recommended. He was fine during the day, but he could not go to sleep until 2 am. Now the doctor is suggesting Metadate extended release because they have better success with it and difficulty sleeping. I can't seem to find much info on this drug, though. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does anyone have experience with Concerta and sleep? Should I ask the doc to let me try Concerta again earlier in the day? Thanks in advance.

tessmesser
01-14-10, 12:40 PM
Metadate CD was designed to replace immediate-release methylphenidate twice daily. Pharmacokinetics of this preparation suggest that the clinical benefit would be expected to extend over a period of approximately 6-8 hours, covering the school day but not into the evening. This is in contrast to the Concerta that has a clinical benefit over a 12 hour period. Both Metadate and Concerta are the exact same medicine. The amount of time they last is just different.

Tess http://primarilyinattentiveadd.blogspot.com

Vickie
01-14-10, 01:25 PM
tessmesser has said it well. Work with the doc to get the medication that works best for your son. To reduce sleep issues, go to a shorter extended release med like Metadate.

Basically the immediate release ritalin lasts about 4 hours (so is taken a couple times a day), metadate is 6-8 hours and concerta is 8-12 hours long (depending on the person). The goal is to find a med and dose to get long enough effect without sleep issues and tailor the dosing to your son's individual needs. With any of the meds, as your son adjusts to the dose, the med may not last as long or be as effective and the dose needs to be increased. Usually, once the optimal dose is found, the dose will stay the same for at least a while (my daughter has been on her current concerta dose of 54 for a few years now). This type of dose titration is standard during the initial period where you are trying to find the optimal dose.

gichny13
01-14-10, 04:39 PM
Thank you!