View Full Version : ADHD Coach for Law Student?

flirtingwithfate
01-16-10, 12:06 AM
I'm in law school and could really use some help. I'd love to find someone who understands ADHD and law school. I'm in Texas, but phone coaching would help solve any geographic limitations.

May be hard to find something so specific. I'd appreciate suggestions if you know someone for this. Thanks!

ToneTone
02-08-10, 12:03 PM
There are tons of adhd coaches (some under add coaching) on the internet, people who work by phone.

I think any number of them should be able to help you.

There's nothing all that different between law school and medical school during the first two years, or ph.d programs for that matter. Tons of reading, etc ... Little weekly accountability .... big tests at the end of the term ...

The point is you don't need someone deeply familiar with law schol. Most professionals know generally what law school is like (first of "torts" "contracts" etc.) ... What they don't know, you can explain. And since there is no magic bullet here, you will doubtlessly be explaining the structure of school over several weeks ....

So I think a lot of coaches can help you ... In law school, in my English teacher understanding, you have to do a ton of reading and there are big tests at the ends of the terms ... so you have a lot of unsupervised reading and study you must do. Any half-wit of a coach can understand that and see the challenge that poses for someone with adhd.

They're probably going to ask you to submit a schedule, plan a schedule. They're going to suggest you get exercise and find breaks in your day ... .they will help you shape your day such that you don't walk around 24 hours a day thinking you should be studying (and feeling guilty that you aren't).

They'll probably encourage you to join some student study groups, etc ... Buy alarms, buy watches, set regular alarms to monitor your time ... carry planner ....

That's just off the top of my head.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to get a coach .... good luck counselor!