View Full Version : No Thoughts

EshkaronsEngine
01-18-10, 01:52 PM
When I read that people are distracted or cannot attend because they have so many competing thoughts I envy them.

Does anyone else relate to the horrible existence of not having enough thoughts going on in their head so really there's just a void. I call it "thought poverty".

The only time I have an adequate number of thoughts in my head is when I am taking a mental trip into hypomania and then into mania.

Is this SCT or a just a symptom of low-grade depression.

Cacho
01-18-10, 01:56 PM
Do you feel really tired when you have this thought poverty?

EshkaronsEngine
01-18-10, 04:13 PM
No, that doesn't come into play. This thought poverty really comes to the fore when I am depressed though. A frustrating aspect of it is that people don't notice. I think over the years I developed the body language that says I am thinking and people would actually think I am intelligent. For example when I was trying to convey my thought poverty to my older brother he said Oh "You were just in your own little world." To which I said "Don't you get it, there was no world."

What I'm getting at is of course I have thoughts of some kind for me to be able to converse. As when my brother said when I would say something when I was desperately depressed -"See, you're thinking, you would have to be to be able to say that"

It is only really when I get the energy from when I go toward mania that visual thoughts etc. start to pour in in involuntary waves. Otherwise my brain really just reacts and only can do things out of habit.

The Audience
02-10-10, 05:01 AM
What makes you think you have thought poverty?

Maybe when you are manic, you are thinking too much, but when you are not manic you feel vacant due to the contrast. But maybe that's NORMAL?!

EshkaronsEngine
02-10-10, 10:29 PM
NO most of the time my brain is honestly begging for something to think about. The way I think most of the time is like my brain is a cow and my thoughts are the grass. My brain ruminates on the same damn thoughts all day just like the cow does on the grass. So you can say that I'm ruminating and not thinking unless you define thinking as an endless loop on the same subject breaking it down till you wish you could crap it out.

meridian
02-10-10, 11:43 PM
Boy, I love the clearer mind I have on ADHD meds (Strattera in my case).

My brain used to race along at lightspeed with all kinds of obsessive and negative junk. Now I actually can hear what's going on around me and pay attention for longer periods of time.

Funny how people with curly hair want straight hair and vice versa!

"Thought poverty" almost sounds like bliss to me!

daveddd
02-11-10, 12:15 PM
NO most of the time my brain is honestly begging for something to think about. The way I think most of the time is like my brain is a cow and my thoughts are the grass. My brain ruminates on the same damn thoughts all day just like the cow does on the grass. So you can say that I'm ruminating and not thinking unless you define thinking as an endless loop on the same subject breaking it down till you wish you could crap it out.

i had a really bad problem with this

wellbutrin helped , but gave me side effects

lamactil helps me now

i had a cross of constant rumination and/or constant thought fragments that were indecipherable

EshkaronsEngine
02-11-10, 02:31 PM
Thanks meridian and daveddd for replying. Interesting enough Wellbutrin and Strattera are the 2 meds im taking at the moment and the only ones in the past that were giving me results that mattered. This time round taking them they have worked picking me up outta deep depression but the attention affects from the Strattera are missing. I am probably going to experiment with Desipramine and other meds that affect NE to see if I can't potentiate Strattera's effects. The thing I found with Strattera is there is such a tiny sweet spot where it would work. Ex. I have to split my 60s in two to make 90 and that is literally a bitter bitter pill to swallow. Give or take a few mg and there wouldn't be an effect.

EshkaronsEngine
02-11-10, 02:44 PM
To get back to this "Thought Poverty" if I can define it. I freely admit that
this might just be a subjective experience(though I don't think so) regardless I still DO experience this and would love to know if anyone else has.

Thought Poverty : the perception that your mind is empty or nearly empty of thought and a yearning for this vacuum to be filled.

Good question The Audience. The thing is is that I experienced this before I ever went manic. It was partly this realization that drove me into deepest despair and depression.

EshkaronsEngine
06-16-10, 01:24 PM
Just want to say that the thought poverty has cleared up. An interesting byproduct of not having thoughts is that I had no identity and would pick up every cotton picking identity that passed my way. I would've made a great medium. One night I think I allowed Leif Erickson in my body. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper. To those who are interested I think this is called the chode in eastern mysticism. When you allow the spirits to completely consume your body making yourself a sacrifice to the Mother God.

doiadhd
06-16-10, 01:37 PM
i had a really bad problem with this

wellbutrin helped , but gave me side effects

lamactil helps me now

i had a cross of constant rumination and/or constant thought fragments that were indecipherable

Very helpful thread Esk,

daveddd i am also on lactimal/mil and believe i could benifit from it alot if i could have something to accompany it,smoking at the moment...and can not stop really because would turn a bit nasty...

But after a few days on this med it is showing me good signs...very much so on the eyes...with focus effecting order in the brain from my 5-6-7 days on it.