View Full Version : curry chicken salad

dervish
01-18-10, 02:23 PM
This is a fantastic dish which can be eaten by itself, on a bed of lettuce with other veggies of you liking, as sandwich filler or as a topping for crackers, or pita chips.

Now I dont measure anything so your own judgement and a little bit of experimentation may be required.

Quality ingredients are a requirement. here is the list.
1 chicken, whole or breast
1 bag of grapes
1 pint of plain yogurt (if yogurt is unsweetened you may wish to add a simple syrup to the mix but I do not)
1 bag of almonds (whole or sliced)
1 jar or bottle of quality mustard (must have seeds, not that yellow French's stuff)

I add a touch of chili paste for spice but this can easily be left out
common spices such as salt pepper and sugar
1. Boil the chicken or chicken breast for a lower fat version.
2. brown the almonds in olive oil while the chicken is boiling and set aside
3. slice about 1 or 2 cups of grapes into 1/2s or 1/3s
4. when the chicken is cool and shred into a large bowl
5. add a good squirt of mustard and about 1/3 a cup of yogurt and a small dash of chili paste (you can use mayo instead of yogurt if you choose but go easy on the dressings, you want to taste the salad not the mayo/yogurt)
6. add a decent amount of high quality indian curry, salt and pepper to taste. Like i said I do not measure anything so all measurements provided are really just random guesses so good luck with that.
7. add grapes and toasted almonds an mix everything together adding more curry, condiments, salt or whatever as needed.

If done as a salad you can make an excellent yogurt dressing simply by making a simple syrup to add to the yogurt until you have reached the right consistency and sweetness (which should be lightly sweetened). Next add ginger, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and a touch of cloves to the yogurt, a good Goram Masala will similar ingredients but I add a little extra ginger and cinnamon when I use this, and drizzel over the salad.:)