View Full Version : Paint help

Megs
01-19-10, 10:41 AM
I am painting my countertops in my bathroom, I have primed and base coated them with a kitchen and bath alkyd paint. I wasn't thrilled with the solid colour countertop and am now sponging over them to add texture. They are looking fantastic so far! I want to use some fun metallic colour for a finishing texture, but all I can find is water based acrylic in these colours.

Can I do that? I know acrylic doesn't stick to oil based paints well, but if I sponge with acrylic and then coat with polyeurethane, will it hold? I am not even going to try to attempt this until I know for sure, I don't want to end up with a sticky mess.

Also, does anyone know where I can find some oil based paints in fun metallic colours? I''m looking for a small 2 oz bottle, and keep in mind I am in Canada.

Turbochica
01-19-10, 11:34 AM
I have no clue about this but your idea sounds great, if the paints work together.. Here is what I would suggest. I would call a local paint store and run your idea by them. They should know if that will work or not.

Megs
01-19-10, 12:09 PM
Yay! A friend of mine suggested that I try Wallack's craft store in town. They have an amazing selection!

I'll definitely show the end result when I am finished!

PeteM62
01-19-10, 08:56 PM
Use a clear de-waxed shellac sealer between your coats. Zinsser bulls eye shellac sealer in a spray can is what I use. It may not say de-waxed on the can, but if it is a sealer it is de-waxed. I use it to stop oil penetration from knots or oily wood when finishing wood. Found this out the hard way when I polyurethaned some cocobolo (expensive exotic wood) and the finish never dried! This has always worked for me. Of course, please try on a sample before committing!

Looking forward to seeing the results!