View Full Version : Lexapro....What to expect

mccinny
01-19-10, 11:19 AM
I've posted in the past about this. I've toyed with the idea of taking this and others. While now, I am finally going to take Lexapro and I was wondering what I should expect. Do most people here experience sleepiness, jitteriness, other, when getting it into your system?

D

CircularingCats
01-19-10, 11:40 AM
Lexapro is a med I've been on for a long time, along with several other psych meds -- and now, I'm just starting ADD meds (Concerta and Ritalin). Incidentally, for me, the other psych meds (including the Lexapro), are working well with the new ADD meds.

Because I'm on the other psych meds, it can be confusing as to say which med does what. But as far as I know, Lexapro hasn't been one to give me any problem at all.

I take 20 mg., in the morning. If I were you, I wouldn't be too nervous in trying this med. It's not a med that I've tried that has lots of side effects, the way some of the other meds I've been on have been so. :)

xraylady33
01-19-10, 02:09 PM
Lexapro made me completely numb to the world!!!!!!!
I took it back in the summer, while dealing with some serious life issues. My depression and anxiety had gotten so bad I did not sleep for more than 12 days. Lexapro calmed and relaxed me, but I lost me in the process.

I am not discouraging anyone, as we all have different chemical reactions. Lexapro was very overpowering. It did help the depression, but after six weeks I had to go off of it, and that was even worse. I went back to wellbutrin, and had to get through my rough spot with a lot of positive thinking. Hardest time of my life. Lexapro is a strong med, and best taken in the evening.

Good luck.

mccinny
01-19-10, 04:37 PM
Did you have any problems getting off of Lexapro? I used to take Effexor years ago, and it was a major devil getting off. Wondering if any bad effects came with it? My doc told me to try it for 2 months and then maybe slide into Celexa. He explained that both were virtually the same, but Lexapro was basically Celexa with one side removed from its chemical makeup. I have taken Celexa before, but don't remember it doing much for me.

When you say, lost yourself, do you simply mean you felt out of it all the time? Completely ambivalent to everything?

I have dealt with social anxiety for years, I am curious as to how this might effect it.

D

mccinny
01-19-10, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.

xraylady33
01-19-10, 05:34 PM
What I mean about losing myself...I did not seem to worry about my usual kind issues. I had a very "sorry for your luck" attitude, which is so NOT me. Like I said...12 days no rest will weigh heavy on ones mind. Of course in school, this was the norm for me, but I had an incident in June, that threw me into a tailspin, and I slipped from the equator, into a black hole.
Lexapro was good for me for a week or two, but I am a giver, with a super direct personality...Not quite "A", but close, so numbness is my best explanation. YES...going off was horrid! Very depressed and moody! I cannot speak for Celexia, but if the pharmacology is similar you will be fine. Our neuro stimulators react to many formulations the same. This one for me was too strong. I need to feel and offer support. I took an oath, and to be so cold, and harsh was completely out of character for me.

Thank heavens my life has changed, and I hope to never be in that place again.

hollywood
01-19-10, 05:49 PM
kind of cool to be some careless though. So I guess in a way you could focus primarily on what concerned you and nothing could wax or wane your focus which would and is bad for adhd. I think thats kinda neat, and actually I think that I wouldn't mind being that cold. I'm in!

mccinny
01-21-10, 07:20 PM
So you had insomnia with the drug xray? I don't know, its been a while since I've been on Celexia, but it might be a better fit. After years of taking various anti-depressants, I'm a bit jaded about getting back on another.

D

Alpineski
09-07-10, 08:45 PM
Anxiety was lessened when I was on Lexapro, but everything (including myself) became "meh" in the process. Including my sex drive.

I went through withdrawls and/or serotonin syndrome when I stopped taking it, even though I weaned off of it. IMO there are better ways to deal with anxiety/depression than by taking Escitalopram.

hollywood
09-07-10, 10:05 PM
It depends on the situation and daily stress levels. Long it is not the answer, cymbalta has less somnolence

mal2010
09-13-10, 01:32 AM
My first week on Lexapro (not taking any other meds) I had a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. However, I would have to take a nap during the middle of the day. I also experienced a mild, giddy feeling. This initial experience wore off fairly quickly. The complete loss of libido was almost immediate. After being on Lexapro for a couple weeks, I went to a new psychiatrist and he added Wellbutrin for anxiety that was not resolved by the Lexapro. Fast forward a couple months. I'm completely apathetic. My anxiety is non-existent because I don't care about anything. Around this time, I had started taking ADHD meds again (Vyvanse to be specific) and looking back it was a bad combination for everything but the anxiety. However, I know people who've done well on Lexapro. I think as long as you don't add too much to the mix, it's hit or miss with Lexapro.

hollywood
09-13-10, 09:46 AM
what are you saying, that you dropped lexapro and wellbutrin ? I'm on that or a similar combo and not sure if it's too much.