View Full Version : Am I alone?

Insane1
01-21-10, 08:23 PM
In every other group Ive been in, everyone has been happy with ADD and believed it to be a gift, but it causes me so much pain, am I just a loser who can't cope with it or do other people suffer with it too?

meridian
01-21-10, 09:52 PM
Welcome, and no, you are certainly not alone.

But I have found that I feel better when I remember to count my strengths rather than my weaknesses and try to function within the parameters given.

Read some of the threads around here and you will find the usual silly Forum games, and the most intensely personal, serious, frank and reflective discussions I've ever encountered on the net.

ZiggyFry
01-21-10, 10:03 PM
I agree. It can be a bad thing. If I didn't have it, I'm sure I would be a totally different person. Maybe I would have had a 4.0 gpa as opposed to the sorry one I've got now.

However, it often comes with positive aspects as well. I would still rather be the different (good or bad depending on who you talk to :P) creative, often twitching person that I am as opposed to someone who's totally normal.

Sin.Ziggy.

meridian
01-21-10, 11:34 PM
Didn't realize this was a teens forum, sorry.

peripatetic
01-22-10, 04:46 AM
overall i would say there is an incredible variety of people on these forums and different takes on the 'gift'/'deficit' to go along.

if you're afraid that you are alone in feeling frequently overwhelmed, concerned about keeping your sh*t together and possibly have a track record of not exactly succeeding in doing so, i can assure you that you are not.

i've struggled. not every waking moment of my life, not always significantly, but sometimes profoundly.

like meridian, i'm not a teenager.

nevertheless, i do recall being diagnosed when i was a teenager quite clearly and i can sympathize if you're not feeling 100% on board with the 'gift' crew. it's great that people accentuate the positive, and i hope you have many identifiable positives in your life (adhd-related or not), but it's also ok to vent and express your frustration. it doesn't make you a loser and it doesn't mean you're a negative person.

you're just being honest about your circumstances and trying to work through them; i think maybe that's the best any of us can do in life, really;)

best wishes and welcome to the forums:)

michinyuja
01-23-10, 12:18 AM
it's more natural to hate it.

only people who've had lots of people (friends, family members, teachers..) tell them OVER AND OVER that it is a gift that they have to learn how to use are happy and mostly content.

so do you want to feel better about yourself?

start by surrounding yourself with people who make you feel better!!

now, i don't mean people who are exactly like you and don't care if you don't work, don't go to school, don't leave the house...people who need you to make them feel better about themselves.

i mean bright, kind, honest, confident people who see all the awesomest things about you and love you so much that they will always help you achieve your dreams.

GOOOOOD LUCCCKKKK!!!!

darkangel99
04-21-10, 07:45 AM
I don't like having ADD either i sometimes struggle a lot.
I don't feel as if it is a gift because it can get me really down sometimes because i lose stuff rip things apart trying to find the item i'm looking for and find it in a completly different place and my concentration is really bad too

Werl
05-25-10, 11:46 AM
Well, it all depends on who is in the room with you :D.

Just joking around, I HATE my ADD. I'm medicated, so you wouldn't notice it during the day.

Michiko74
05-28-10, 09:56 AM
In every other group Ive been in, everyone has been happy with ADD and believed it to be a gift, but it causes me so much pain, am I just a loser who can't cope with it or do other people suffer with it too?

Are you sure it was ADHD they had? :p Just kidding!

You are in no way a loser at all. It's nice those other people have been able to see the good in their ADHD. But I don't think they're giving the complete picture. I've had a *lot* of bad days with ADHD. And while I'm happy with my life, there are still things that make me upset and angry. The chaos it's caused me really makes me doubt that whole 'gift' of ADHD/ADD.

If it is a gift, then I've had to pay a very high price for it. Sometimes that can make it very hard to appreciate.

mystes
06-02-10, 04:41 AM
You are no longer alone coz ur already in this forum

cheers and welcome!:)

mctavish23
06-06-10, 11:55 PM
I've NEVER considered my own ADHD to be a "gift," unless you're referring to the kind

that "Jokey Smurf" delivered.

Welcome to the FORUM

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)