View Full Version : diagnosis?

amyamyamy
01-24-10, 09:53 PM
hey i'm a seventeen year old girl and for the past year and a half i've been seriously considering that i may have adhd-i. the only issue is my mother, who refuses to believe that i may have a problem. she likes to ignore the fact that i have reached out to her for the first time in my life and instead criticizes me and makes a joke out of it.
anyway, i was wondering what your diagnosis stories are like? do you have understanding parents that are willing to help?

i'm not diagnosed yet, but i'm going to see a doctor soon. the thing is, i not only "coincidentally" have the symptoms of adhd-i, i've researched it a lot and i know that i have it. i mean, i try really really hard to pay attention in class but my mind wanders and by the end of class i have no idea what i learned. even while copying notes, i can't retain the information and make careless errors in my work. i can't follow through with my work, and when i find something that interests me, like art, i'll get hyperfocused for a short amount of time and then get bored and move onto something else. i'll get distracted by something and not want to go back to what i was doing before. even when i force myself to read for homework, the slightest sound distracts me. i literally have to clamp my hands over my ears and read out loud to try and not get distracted. of course, then i notice the pencil at my desk and how it's red, and not yellow like a normal pencil, that's weird, i wonder where they made that pencil. i don't even like red, why am i using a red pencil. the scarf i wore today was red and i wore it with my black and white striped sweater, i like that sweater, i should wash it because i spilled tea on it, maybe i should go have some more tea... then i get up and make some tea and not go back to my homework.

i know this is common for a lot of teenagers, but it's affecting me socially as well. i get social anxiety often and when i'm with more than one person i feel very uncomfortable. my mind tends to wander often so i don't make conversation, so it leads to me getting ignored.

so sorry about this loooong boring story of my sad life. but could you maybe share your stories of diagnosis and what it was like before you were diagnosed? what kind of treatment are you seeking? how long was it before you were actually diagnosed with adhd??

coddersjnr
01-26-10, 02:17 PM
I'm ditto'ing this completely. I have the exactly same problem as you, so exact it's bang on to what I am like. I've spoken to my mum once about it last year but she laughed it off, and I don't have the guts to go see my doctor because I hate speaking to people I don't know by myself.

Keep me posted on how it goes with you

dude102
01-26-10, 02:30 PM
hey i'm a seventeen year old girl and for the past year and a half i've been seriously considering that i may have adhd-i. the only issue is my mother, who refuses to believe that i may have a problem. she likes to ignore the fact that i have reached out to her for the first time in my life and instead criticizes me and makes a joke out of it.
anyway, i was wondering what your diagnosis stories are like? do you have understanding parents that are willing to help?

i'm not diagnosed yet, but i'm going to see a doctor soon. the thing is, i not only "coincidentally" have the symptoms of adhd-i, i've researched it a lot and i know that i have it. i mean, i try really really hard to pay attention in class but my mind wanders and by the end of class i have no idea what i learned. even while copying notes, i can't retain the information and make careless errors in my work. i can't follow through with my work, and when i find something that interests me, like art, i'll get hyperfocused for a short amount of time and then get bored and move onto something else. i'll get distracted by something and not want to go back to what i was doing before. even when i force myself to read for homework, the slightest sound distracts me. i literally have to clamp my hands over my ears and read out loud to try and not get distracted. of course, then i notice the pencil at my desk and how it's red, and not yellow like a normal pencil, that's weird, i wonder where they made that pencil. i don't even like red, why am i using a red pencil. the scarf i wore today was red and i wore it with my black and white striped sweater, i like that sweater, i should wash it because i spilled tea on it, maybe i should go have some more tea... then i get up and make some tea and not go back to my homework.

i know this is common for a lot of teenagers, but it's affecting me socially as well. i get social anxiety often and when i'm with more than one person i feel very uncomfortable. my mind tends to wander often so i don't make conversation, so it leads to me getting ignored.

so sorry about this loooong boring story of my sad life. but could you maybe share your stories of diagnosis and what it was like before you were diagnosed? what kind of treatment are you seeking? how long was it before you were actually diagnosed with adhd??

Your story sounds like mine. Don't bother trying to convince your parents- it will only further annoy you and/or lower your self esteem. Instead, try talking to a school counselor, then discuss your problem, then suggest a diagnosis. You don't have to take a full blown one.. I heard its like 20 dollars copayment if you have insurance. Show your mom and try to convince her... if that doesn't work, try to find a relative to help you.

As for social anxiety, try supplements B-Complex (jarrows formula), fish oil, or l-Theanine. They all helped me tremendously, and without it, I get very paranoid, anxious, stressed and my anxiety skyrockets.