View Full Version : we had our 1st paediatrician appt yesterday

sharon34
01-26-10, 10:01 AM
hi, well, where do i start...
yesterday we had our 1st appointment with a paediatrician for some help etc.. with our 11yr old son.
both myself and my husband left the appointment feeling none the wiser, we had to take our son in with us, and he was in the room while they asked us to tell them all the things he does that we have concerns about both in school, and at home.
i didn't like that, having my son have to sit there and listen to us all discuss his failing points, it made him even more anxious, and upset.
they also got him to do some short writing, reading and memory tests, all of which he did with ease, and he sat for the hour a bit bored, but ok, so on this assumption, the paediatrician said she can't see what's wrong with him!:mad:

rant time....
how can they see him for a 1 hour session where he had one on one tests done in a quiet, calm enviroment, and then say he is ok, because he wasn't distracted, and can read and write ok.

what they don't see, and we pointed out is that when he's at home, he is constantly fidgeting, can't seem to hold his attention for any length of time unless it's spongebob tv or his computer, he still cannot do shoelaces, hold a knife/fork that well, personal hygiene is out the window unless he's reminded. he forgets things.
at school he is getting detentions every week for forgetting homework, not remebering to write it down, for daydreaming in class, being chatty, and easily distracted. he is not naughty, he is very loving, kind, would do anything for anyone, but he's just a total fidget with no attention span, and would be quite happy to play sports all day.

we filled out a questionaire at the clinic yesterday, and scored high in the areas for typical A.D.D behaviour, but yet they still said he seems ok:confused:

just because he sat with a doctor, and did his reading and writing and was not showing any signs of A.D.D for that hour.

sorry for the long post, but i needed to write it all down, i don't know what to do next:confused:

Turbochica
01-26-10, 11:21 AM
hi, well, where do i start...
yesterday we had our 1st appointment with a paediatrician for some help etc.. with our 11yr old son.
both myself and my husband left the appointment feeling none the wiser, we had to take our son in with us, and he was in the room while they asked us to tell them all the things he does that we have concerns about both in school, and at home.
[QUOTE]i didn't like that, having my son have to sit there and listen to us all discuss his failing points, it made him even more anxious, and upset.

I would not have wanted that to happen with my daughter either. we talked privately without her these things.

they also got him to do some short writing, reading and memory tests, all of which he did with ease, and he sat for the hour a bit bored, but ok, so on this assumption, the paediatrician said she can't see what's wrong with him!:mad:

you are so right how could they come to that conclusion?

rant time....
how can they see him for a 1 hour session where he had one on one tests done in a quiet, calm enviroment, and then say he is ok, because he wasn't distracted, and can read and write ok.
valid point

what they don't see, and we pointed out is that when he's at home, he is constantly fidgeting, can't seem to hold his attention for any length of time unless it's spongebob tv or his computer, he still cannot do shoelaces, hold a knife/fork that well, personal hygiene is out the window unless he's reminded. he forgets things.
at school he is getting detentions every week for forgetting homework, not remebering to write it down, for daydreaming in class, being chatty, and easily distracted. he is not naughty, he is very loving, kind, would do anything for anyone, but he's just a total fidget with no attention span, and would be quite happy to play sports all day.
I agree its how he acts in real life , not a office visit that should be taken into consideration

we filled out a questionaire at the clinic yesterday, and scored high in the areas for typical A.D.D behaviour, but yet they still said he seems ok:confused:

just because he sat with a doctor, and did his reading and writing and was not showing any signs of A.D.D for that hour.
one hour is NOT enough time to make ANY diagnosis.

sorry for the long post, but i needed to write it all down, i don't know what to do next:confused:

what a tough spot to be in and all you wan to do is get your dear son the help he needs . hugs to you
Find another pediatrician . ask for a second opinion.