View Full Version : Introducing the Ipad

distracted40
01-28-10, 12:35 AM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0009044&Email_PageName=P0009044-&Email_OID=dfd5b430bc4db2c2836d0227ad9ac0c4&cp=em-P0009044-&sr=em

I cannot wait to try one of these time suckage devices out.;)

Sorry couldn't make nice link.

Driver
01-28-10, 12:44 AM
Like the iPhone, it's going to take a few iterations before the iTampon is of any use to anyone.

meridian
01-28-10, 01:10 AM
Like the iPhone, it's going to take a few iterations before the iTampon is of any use to anyone.

Sorry Driver, but you are way off on this one.

The iPad has the same screen dimensions as the Kindle DX (9.7 in), is full color and only costs $10 more. Right out of the gate it runs 140,000 iPhone Apps plus the iWork suite ($10 per app) meaning it is a robust presentation device.

I have the first iPhone. Bought it the week it was released. It has only become more functional as software updates and apps have enlarged its capabilities. The 3G and 3GS are faster and have GPS, that's about it.

iPad is easily the best thought out, and most mature new product intro I've ever seen in 30 years of industry watching.

People said of the iPod "too little, too late and too expensive" boy were they wrong.

Of the iPhone they said "too expensive, Apple isn't a phone company" wrong again.

Apple started this whole personal computer business (no they weren't the first, but they were the first to make it work) and has been declared dead over and over again. Now they are a $50-60 billion a year company.

Apple is doing something very very right and the iPad is the precursor to a whole new generation of personal devices. IMO of course!:)

Driver
01-28-10, 01:35 AM
Fanboy much?

ADHDTigger
01-30-10, 07:06 PM
With 20 years of IT in my past, I have to say that I agree with Meridian. Here's why.

I have been a laptop owner and user for years. It made sense to buy laptops instead of desktops because portability was a key issue for me. Then the Eee's came out.

The Eee was small, lightweight, and easily portable- more so than my 17" Mac Book Pro. It provided me the ability to reach the web and my email easily and stowed in a tote bag instead of a dedicated bag designed to protect it. What it lacked was memory.

Since the Eee had been a gift, I decided to take a look at the newer ASUS running Windows XP. Nice machine, made even better by the larger HDD and slightly larger screen. I carry that baby around when I travel and can reach anything I need to get at. Stuck Open Office on it so that I had a viable word processor and spreadsheet on the fly and made sure it had the ability to get to my email and such. So far, I haven't regretted the purchase for a moment.

When my Mac Book took a serious power spike, I decided to replace it with an iMac. I do not regret that choice as I now have a very comfortable home base in addition to a good traveller. The only downside is that my netbook only speaks Windows.

With the emergence of a device that gives me ultra portability, access to the applications that I want to run, a large enough screen to browse the web, built in WiFi, and seamless integration to my wholly Mac environment, I can see the day when my beloved netbook becomes an unused device.

What I want to see them do is give it a web cam- my Touch has a small stand- not a charging station but simply a way to set it on a surface at a comfortable viewing angle- and at least one USB port. I'm not an early adopter so I am happy to wait until the second generation of this device. Besides, my netbook is already doing what I need it to do- ultra portable computing- and there is no reason to believe that it won't meet that need for some time.

meridian
01-30-10, 10:28 PM
Fanboy much?

Oh yeah, totally!:D

meridian
01-30-10, 10:31 PM
What I want to see them do is give it a web cam- my Touch has a small stand- not a charging station but simply a way to set it on a surface at a comfortable viewing angle- and at least one USB port.

The Apple designed cover acts as a stand for the iPad. and as for USB, the iPod dock 30-pin connector is mini USB at the other end of the cable.

Camera, oh yeah, that would be tre cool. I think it *may* have been left out of the 1st gen to keep costs within target.

FrazzleDazzle
01-31-10, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking it will be a great affordable asset for those in the photography business. ;-) Too bad it doesn't make phone calls too tho......but I bet they are working on that lol!

scarygreengiant
01-31-10, 02:01 AM
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/bananaslugsrule/20154_300021077473_300018867473_451.jpg

ADHDTigger
01-31-10, 03:38 PM
The Apple designed cover acts as a stand for the iPad. and as for USB, the iPod dock 30-pin connector is mini USB at the other end of the cable.

Camera, oh yeah, that would be tre cool. I think it *may* have been left out of the 1st gen to keep costs within target.

What I heard Jobs say on the subject is that they saw the use of the device as lying flat on a surface- that touch screen keyboard- so they didn't see a valid use for a camera. I see Internet phone calling via Skype or even Yahoo IM and want a camera and microphone for that purpose.

I have service through Verizon or I would own an iPhone instead of the Touch. I primarily use my netbook on public wireless and would want to continue to do so with an iPad.

Driver
01-31-10, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking it will be a great affordable asset for those in the photography business. ;-)

I doubt it. I doubt it has a full 24bit colour screen and you won't be able to colour correct it with a Spyder3 et al.