View Full Version : ADD/Anti-Anxiety/Anti-Depressant/Benzo Question

mrcold
01-29-10, 10:32 PM
(I copied this same thread from the Anti-depressant board hoping someone would see it.)

This is my first post (technically second now I guess) on here, so a really quick background...34 year old male, on Effexor XR for 4ish years. Mostly at 150 mg, but recently switched to 225 mg of the generic tablet form (which I'm not sure I like) and added in Xanax 1mg twice daily as needed. I also recently had a sort of epiphany regarding the ADD...and went to see a psych. So currently I have the 225 venalfaxine (sp?) as well as 20 mg Adderall XR twice daily (one dose only really lasts me 4-5 hours). I've got a bit of a addictive personality and I'm a bit concerned about abusing the adderall. I've overdone it a few times by taking 3-4 in a day to extend my workday by a few hours (not minimizing, just disclosing). But aside from those few days, the Adderall has been great from a functionality standpoint. It's also been good for my depression, though when I've exceeded my dose, my anxiety kind of kicks in.

Anyway, the point of this...I have some sexual sides from the higher dose of Effexor. Lack of libido mostly, trouble achieving orgasm occasionally, but no ED. The adderall hasn't helped this much because of the vasoconstrictive effects. I have tried going off Effexor to switch to something else (Prozac, Cymbalta, can't remember the 3rd) a couple times but things haven't gone well. Ok, I've gone on too long, let me get to my questions:

1) Has anyone found a suitable replacement for Effexor?
2) Has anyone combined Effexor with something else like Wellbutrin to counter the sexual sides and possibly get the Effexor dose down?
3) Has anyone found that other ADD meds such as Dexadrine or Vyvanse go better with an antidepressant than the Adderall XR?
4) Does Vyvanse last significantly longer than Adderall XR or is that a marketing "truth"? I'm curious if I could REALLY get by with one a day in the morning.
5) Have you found a good sleep med to use with stims that isn't completely addictive but is effective? I don't really want to keep taking Xanax for sleep...

Thanks for reading my novel.

mrcold

mccinny
02-01-10, 02:12 PM
I can only speak to the Effexor angle. I've never taken ADD meds before and haven't taken two SSRI's together. That being said, I took Effexor the longest of the bunch. For about 3 years I think. It finally stopped working, or at least the dosage I was on wasn't doing it anymore.

I had a lot of sweating and pretty bad sexual side-effects as well. Withdrawal was a nightmare on this drug. I tried Celexa, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and a couple more. None of which seemed any better to me. A couple, like Zoloft made me feel unstable after 6 months of use.

I would recommend talking to your doc and coming up with a plan of action. You might have to try a few other drugs before getting the right one. I will say, if the side-effects of Effexor worry you, Wellbutrin is very good in that department.

Again, I can only speak from my experience and a good doc will be able to get you on the right track. Wish you the best in this.

D

mrcold
02-02-10, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the response! I actually think my new head doc is great, other than the time it takes to get in to see him. I think the plan I will propose is:

Drop the effexor xr back down to 150 in the AM.
Add in 150 Wellbutrin at noon or in the evening.
Go to either 30 mg adderall xr twice a day, or vyvanse 70 once a day.
Lunesta for insomnia.

Anyone have any comments, thoughts? Thanks again.

hollywood
02-02-10, 04:41 PM
do your adhd meds work in the mix of all that other stuff or does it counter the positive attributes of the adhd meds? I try to add other medications at times but find my ability to focus goes down. I think I would rather be a bit irritable and be able to get stuff done rather than vice versa.

mrcold
02-03-10, 12:23 PM
I was on effexor and xanax before I ever had adderall, so I'm not sure what effect they have on the adderall. However, I know the addition of adderall helped immensely with productivity/functionality. If I would drop the effexor, the adderall may counter depression...but my GAD would likely go through the roof.

hollywood
02-03-10, 04:16 PM
mrcold,

well I think my issue is some of the pns stimulation that I get from my adhd meds so I was thinking intuniv or tenex may help but I'm not so sure. I do feel as though adding cymbalta would be a good thing for me but even when I try a really low dose I feel whacky for a few hours and then while adjusting I feel out of it at night and so on. I wonder if those side effects go away. I was okay on the first few days but getting up in the morning was rough and so on...

mccinny
02-03-10, 04:34 PM
Good luck working with your doc. Sounds like you have doctor that listens to you.

D