View Full Version : Function Better with Less Sleep?

APSJ
02-01-10, 01:34 AM
So, I ran out of my sleeping medication a week or so ago. I had been maintaining a pretty regular sleep schedule, getting 5-8 hours a night everyday, for I think a couple of months. I had thought perhaps that I'd have 'reset' my sleep schedule and would be able to just continue with that schedule, but that proved not to be the case.(which, really, shouldn't have been surprising as I've tried 'resetting' my sleep schedule dozens of times to no avail.)

Oddly, sleeping 2-4 hours a night seems to be agreeing with me for the time being. I've been in a better mood, feel more alert, and less anxious. I remember reading somewhere (maybe somewhere on the forum) about a study suggesting sleep deprivation increases alertness due to a reallocation of resources by the brain as a survival mechanism, but I can't seem to find it. I don't know whether to attribute it to that, or to suddenly having around five hours of additional leisure time added to the day. In any event, I have a feeling it's not sustainable, and am planning on getting my prescription refilled as soon as I can, but I'm enjoying it for the time being.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Logic
02-02-10, 01:21 AM
I was told that it can take as long as 6 months to 'reset' or reprogram your circadian rhythm and get your sleeping pattern in check.
Which explains why mine is always messed up bar the odd day here and there, I embark on trying to adjust my sleep hygeine but always get bored doing the same thing and rituals before bed, hence never quite making it.

I have odd days where I get little to no sleep and seem to breeze through my day with some sort of wierd 'superhuman' feeling, but I was told by my housemate (who's a psychiatric ward manger) that he sees similar behaviour in some of his patients when they do 'forced waking' to alter the sleep patterns of the more disruptive patients. They start out fairly resistant, get angry and act up owing to the lack of sleep, but after a few days of 'wakings' they lose the resistance and come over all energetic and driven (I guess like I get rebound when my meds wear off), but that wears off too and proves temporary, when their sleep pattern is more acceptable and fits in better with the ward environment, they return to the behaviour that they had originally but with an adjusted sleep pattern (usually aided with medication though).

I go through cycles with my sleep, it's pretty messed up at the minute (hence writing this at 05:23 instead of sleeping...)

Logic

DarkCode
02-15-10, 09:05 PM
You may find that slight sleep deprivation may actually cause some people to feel euphoric. It can be a pleasant experience for some. But you may notice some sluggishness as the days number - if you haven't already.

You should really get 6 hours of sleep every day. Not necessarily all at once. But at least 3 hours at a time. Approximately how long it takes you to go through a complete cycle. You should look into Polyphasic sleep if that sounds interesting to you.

You should also take a look at the U.S. Air Force's Flight Surgeon Manual on sleep deprivation, if you can find it.