View Full Version : Do you control your Hyperfocus ?

FastForward
02-02-10, 07:53 AM
Do you feel like "hyperfocus" is something you can control ?

Like "hey, i need to get this done, let me get into hyperfocus mode" ? or is it more something you "slip into"....

I feel more like the second option... i'll tell myself i have to do something and then once it's done i'll be like "Waw, i was soooooooo focused on this i didn't even notice time passing by"... and then i'll "wake up"....

:)

Any thoughts ? Ideas maybe to control or induce a state of "total focus" ?

Peace:)

EvolutionV8
02-02-10, 08:22 AM
Loosely controlled.
When I lock into what I'm doing I don't know how much time has passed. Sometimes I don't drink enough. I go on longer than I really should. Hyperfocusing can be a big problem if other priorities need attention, or if you need to physically rest your mind and body.

fgm1
02-02-10, 08:52 AM
The latter. I can't really control it. :)

Pugly
02-02-10, 09:18 AM
Even among the things I enjoy I find it difficult to control it.

I produce electronic music, but I need a curious combination of ideas and drive to really go into hypefocus mode and get it all done. It needs to reach a tipping point, and then I become obsessed and it must be completed and I can't turn off my brain to not think about it all the time.

But this doesn't happen that often, or as often as I would like. It's gotten less as I have gotten older, maybe as a side effect of an undercurrent of depression or something.

The best I can do to control it is to have some sort of motivator that pushes through the initial boring period, and then I become naturally hyperfocused as my brain gets more into a project. But that's really the core issue isn't it? Being able to get stuff done requires that initial push to get started... and without that procrastination sets in.

kilted_scotsman
02-02-10, 09:56 AM
I find it almost impossible to control.... if something grips me, time stops and I enter a different world. It is a serious double edged sword and I need to have a grounded person I trust around to keep me from spinning out. Now, while I realise the potential I have when hyperfocussing, I also realise it majorly screws up relationships, both at work and at home.... and often that's what stops potential becoming actual delivery. I am wary of it..... and am not seeking out the conditions that trigger it like I did before..... as I need the right "handlers" around me to get anything tangible and constructive out of my hyperfocal afterburners. kilted

adhdPEteacher
02-02-10, 01:36 PM
I agree about going into a different world. I sorta lose myself. Your post hit home Scotsman...I look up and 3-5 hours of my life are poof gone, be in from the net, video games, playing on my phone, or reading...(cant put down the book)...
I do like the idea of having handlers around me. Right now it is hard, I am by myself, wife and kids have left....so there is no one to keep me on course, it takes alot of self control.

Lucky Me :)

AliKatski
02-02-10, 01:42 PM
I have learnt to hyperfocus on my breathing - as a relaxation method. That's the only 'controlled' hyperfocus I can do...

In order to hyperfocus, something must be extremely interesting. Personally, I can't make anything interesting.

That said, I find the most bizarre things interesting... ;)

XavierQ
02-02-10, 01:42 PM
I thought one of the main problems with ADHD is that you can't control it. If you could control it then you wouldn't have concentration issues, would you? You'd be even better at focusing and getting things done than 'normal' people because you don't just focus, you hyperfocus.

I can't control it and I don't experience it as something amazing. I hate it when I notice two hours passed while I was trying to write the perfect email that I don't end up sending.

Bottomimpulse
02-02-10, 05:32 PM
I've learned to be aware on my hyperfocus. I don't want to hyperfocus on negative subjects, naturally I allow myself to hyperfocus on the positive.

bziebarth
02-02-10, 06:11 PM
In my experience, the "hyperfocusing" trait of ADHD can be both voluntary and involuntary. My ADHD mind will slip into hyperfocusing on its own. By identifying what triggers this hyperfocusing, we can then learn to harness it.

I started down the path to harnessing my "hyperfocusing" after ready Anthony Robbins "Awaken the Giant Within". Anthony Robbins discusses how our mind works and strategies for controlling it. This book is where I got the idea to identify what triggers my "hyperfocusing". I found out that my hyperfocusing was triggered by activities that I truly enjoyed or felt was a competition.

I used this realization to my hyperfocusing. When I was faced with a task or activity that I just could not stand to bear, I would take a step back and take a look at the activity. I would ask, "How can I either make this interesting and/or make it a competition?" Once I could make the activity interesting adn/or a competition, my hyperfocusing would kick in on it's own.

It may just be the optimist in me, but I believe that we actually can control our mind. I believe completely in the power of auto suggestion. Even our subconscious mind will follow our orders, we just have to learn the proper form to communicate with our subconscious.

ginniebean
02-02-10, 07:25 PM
I have been experimenting with controlling the hyperfocus, when I'm alone it's much much more difficult. There are times when I'm feeling overwhelmed that I will consciously choose to focus on something and block out the massive stimuli I'm getting overwhelmed by, too soon to say.

Also, ditto on the lost time.

meadd823
02-03-10, 12:51 AM
I would love to be able to control my hyper focus - the best I have been able to manage is to realized it is happening while it is happening.

I thought one of the main problems with ADHD is that you can't control it. If you could control it then you wouldn't have concentration issues, would you? You'd be even better at focusing and getting things done than 'normal' people because you don't just focus, you hyperfocus.

I can't control it and I don't experience it as something amazing. I hate it when I notice two hours passed while I was trying to write the perfect email that I don't end up sending.

Exchange "e-mail" for the word post in the last line and the quote above describes me perfectly

JimiTheFox
02-03-10, 03:01 AM
No control at all. It usually kicks in to stir me up from boring tasks or things I really don't want to do.

The core of the ADD/ADHD issue is our lack of control: I found that the more you try to control yourself or your environment, the more you "feed the beast".

sarek
02-03-10, 03:43 AM
I have no clue how I could possibly control my hyperfocus. If I get it I just have to wait and see where it leads me.
Only immediately looming critical deadlines sometimes help. And sometimes they don't

kilted_scotsman
02-03-10, 05:04 AM
<quote>I found that the more you try to control yourself or your environment, the more you "feed the beast". </quote>

Good point well made.

Thats something its taken me a very very long time to figure out. Trying to control both my hyperfocus, and, on a wider scale, myself and my life has been the cause of debilitating stress, and resulted in untold damage to me and those around me.

kilted

chamaleon
02-03-10, 03:51 PM
no, Hyperfocus is something automatic that could NEVER be summoned.

it comes completely naturally and rarely, and only under EXTREME pressure. With hyperfocus I would say that 'normal' people really dont notice it, however if you have ADHD, you notice it monumentally because suddenly, your focus is razor sharp. Thats my experience. I can hardly ever hyperfocus, but when I can, its floods on me like a snowstorm when i have no other options

i dont believe you can 'train' kids to hyperfocus. Are people daft? And all methylphenidate does is try to emulate that incredible NATURAL hyperfocus experience. I think it achieves it to an extent (but still not the same thing, i dont think Adders should be focusing to that level every day).

Hyperfocus is the miracle symptom of ADHD, and if it can be controlled, its not the real thing.

JimiTheFox
02-03-10, 04:02 PM
<quote>I found that the more you try to control yourself or your environment, the more you "feed the beast". </quote>

Good point well made.

Thats something its taken me a very very long time to figure out. Trying to control both my hyperfocus, and, on a wider scale, myself and my life has been the cause of debilitating stress, and resulted in untold damage to me and those around me.

kilted

So did you figure out the balance between your thoughts, feelings, desires and actions (I call it the flow, when everything in you move in harmony to achieve what needs to be done)?

How can we get the best of this poisoned gift :) ?