View Full Version : Help in New York

VWGhia74
06-07-04, 01:23 PM
Hi. This is my first post on the ADD Forums. I'm a struggling Grad student with no insurance living in Manhattan. I've not been formally diagnosed with ADD but I'm convinced, based on my own readings and history that I do have it. I try very hard to watch my diet according to Dr. Amen's suggestions and find that it usually does make a difference. Unfortunately, during the school semester the diet is not enough. I just finished my first semester of grad school and lack of motivation and procrastination were a huge problem as well as the overwhelming feeling of failure when something was too challenging, which really just means...I didn't get it immediately, and I wanted to give up. My summer semester is starting today and it's already not good.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to find some help. I've tried on my own but can only find rather expensive doctors and I can't afford that. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawn

paulbf
06-07-04, 01:31 PM
Howdy,

You might be able to get a general family doctor to prescribe ritalin if your symptoms are that clear or see a therapist on a sliding scale rate and get reffered to a psychiatrist who will be full price but only need one or two visits at that point. It may not be that simple but might be and will at least get you rolling. Also check local med schools for screening programs at discounted rates.

VWGhia74
06-07-04, 01:34 PM
Thanks. I'll look into it.

Andrew
06-07-04, 02:20 PM
If I recall, NYU Medical Center was running an Adult ADHD screening program for a while.