View Full Version : Can't eat food - getting too skinny.

Yarrgh
02-05-10, 09:39 AM
I'm not anorexic, I just have no desire to eat.
My doctor told me hes taking away my dexedrine, which I need for school, if I don't gain some weight pronto.

I also just don't like how I look: I'm 6'3 and 148 lbs but have skinny arms like a little girl, and my ribcage pops out like skeletor.
(ladies, lets be honest here, but you do have smaller arms... and I've apparently joined you. You can call me Yarrgh-ette from now on).

I've been scarfing down smoothies because I can't manage anything else.

I don't feel sick if I do try, but it feels like I'm eating something inedible and I haven't managed to finish a whole meal yet.

How can I gain weight really quickly? What are some ways you get around feeling not hungry? Like how do anorexics start eating again - what stuff do they give you? Must be special or something...

Even when I don't take dexedrine my appetite is the same. :(

whorton
02-05-10, 09:50 AM
ok I have some Ideas but first thing is can you give me an Idea of what you have to eat on your average day.

Yarrgh
02-05-10, 11:43 AM
ok I have some Ideas but first thing is can you give me an Idea of what you have to eat on your average day.

Breakfast is generally some vitamin water and milk, I generally have lowfat because thats what I'm used to but I've upped it to 2%.

I sometimes have a croissant too.

Lunch is sometimes some stirfry, but I usually don't eat lunch because I've always got classes around noon I have to get too, so I forget.
Yesterday I had a grilled cheese,, and stuffed down a wunderbar because it had the most calories, but that wasn't pleasant.

I always try to eat Dinner, because classes are over and I've got no excuses. I've found if there isn't anything I feel like eating, then I try to get something random - like last night I had 2 bags of crispy minis (those puffed rice crackers) because they've got a decent amount of calories, and they feel like nothing when I'm eating them. Love them. They're definitely my default snack food from now on.

Generally I have stirfry again if I can't find anything at any of the cafeterias. I tried ordering a burger tonight but I couldn't eat it (except for the pickle, they top their burgers with the best pickles ever) and gave it to my friend.

I live on campus at a university, so I can't cook for myself. I'm stuck with university cafeteria food, but its surprisingly healthy in comparison to what you would normally expect.
I actually kind of wish it wasn't, because I'm picky and some of their "healthy versions" of things like mac and cheese or fish n chips are just gross. One time I bought fish and chips, bit into it, and it was just a battered brick of tofu! Thats just diabolic... Who seriously eats that?

Luckily I've found one serving person who's recommendations are pretty honest. If its gross she lets me know beforehand; I don't exactly have a lot of money to waste food with.

RedHairedWitch
02-05-10, 02:02 PM
I've been through things like this. I started drinking the weight gain shakes you buy at body building shops and it worked very well.

whorton
02-05-10, 05:36 PM
I have to agree with RedHairedWitch. I would have to recommend the Whey Protein powder add to your 2% Milk. The Whey Protein has many different favors and is about 270 calories if you mix it will 2% milk you will add about 120 calories. So if you have two of them you will have about 800 calories add to your daily calorie intake. For your lunch you could also take the powder with you to school and mix it with water for lunch.

C-digs
02-18-10, 05:13 PM
In the hospital they give you supplements on top of your regular meals (e.g. Ensure or Boost Plus- I personally prefer ensure) And how do we start eating again? You just have to suck it up and do it. You eat even if you're not hungry. It sucks and you will feel really full and uncomfortable, but it has to be done. good luck

musicpainter
02-19-10, 03:48 AM
When I was in middle school, I got a lung infection and was really sick and lost a TON of weight fast. My doctors were really worried as was my family and my doctor told my Mom to force Ensure on me. It was somewhat gross but it had enough of the key vitamins/etc to get me the fat and stuff I needed to put the weight back on. I would say go that route on top of your regular meals as the above poster suggested.

Missi
02-20-10, 01:18 AM
"I always try to eat Dinner, because classes are over and I've got no excuses. I've found if there isn't anything I feel like eating, then I try to get something random - like last night I had 2 bags of crispy minis (those puffed rice crackers) because they've got a decent amount of calories, and they feel like nothing when I'm eating them. Love them. They're definitely my default snack food from now on."

Please read that statement again. ^

I think you're doing a fair job of fooling yourself. A man that's 6'3' cannot sustain weight with this:

vitamin water
milk (how much milk btw?)
croissant
stirfry
smoothie
rice crackers

Sub cheese for stir fry and the above is breakfast and your 10am snack. Honestly. Do you know anything about nutrition at all? Do they not offer protein? Baked potato? Yogurt? granola? vegetables?

A small person would lose weight on what you've listed, I'm fairly confident they'd allow you into an anorexics meeting. ;) Is there a school nurse you can talk to about nutritional requirements? Or the science professors or even coaches could help you. Until then, drink the Ensure. Several :) Maybe see if they offer a Nutritional Science class--Two birds, one stone :) and definitely follow what C-digs said.

peripatetic
02-20-10, 05:19 AM
peanut butter.

i lose weight when i don't take my medication and it can get unhealthy feeling, not to mention gross looking, quickly, so i get why you're concerned. i don't know what the equivalent height/weight would be in a female, but i'm nearly 5'10" and usually about 125. twice i've dropped below 120 and peanut butter has always been the key to putting on the weight again.

you can get a big jar and put it on anything--i like it basically out of the jar, though, too;) you just need to plan ahead as best you can and make peanut butter crackers, put it on apples, bananas (best for gaining weight), etc.

shakes are good, too, but i have an aversion to the creamy ones, unfortunately. using extra olive oil on things can help, too, as can adding lots of snacks involving dried fruit (there are more calories in there than you think because it's so concentrated) and/or nuts and more pasta/bread/potatoes overall.

best of luck:)

peripatetic
02-25-10, 04:04 AM
hi liz,

i think you may have misread the initial post and some of those that followed. we aren't trying to lose weight. we're trying to keep it on;)

i'm sure that if i had weight to lose, though, the diet/exercise thing sounds like the standard course of action:)

<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId><META content="Microsoft Word 12" name=Generator><META content="Microsoft Word 12" name=Originator><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CV-india%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Ccl ip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CV-india%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Ccl ip_themedata.thmx" rel=themeData><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CV-india%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Ccl ip_colorschememapping.xml" rel=colorSchemeMapping><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE> I believe that the most effective, quickest & long lasting weight loss is achieved through a combination of both diet and exercise, that are in sync with each other.

Sekulr
02-25-10, 08:53 AM
My doctor told me hes taking away my dexedrine, which I need for school, if I don't gain some weight pronto.

I also just don't like how I look: I'm 6'3 and 148 lbs but have skinny arms like a little girl, and my ribcage pops out like skeletor.
(ladies, lets be honest here, but you do have smaller arms... and I've apparently joined you. You can call me Yarrgh-ette from now on).

I don't feel sick if I do try, but it feels like I'm eating something inedible and I haven't managed to finish a whole meal yet.

How can I gain weight really quickly? What are some ways you get around feeling not hungry? Like how do anorexics start eating again - what stuff do they give you? Must be special or something...

..i know what you mean, i lost about 50 pounds. Youll be alright though, just take your Dexedrine and work out. Also eat breakfast before you take them.

Jeremy
03-22-10, 09:46 PM
I have a similar problem. I began Adderall in early November, and have since lost 22 pounds. Granted, I was overweight before, but my doctor also said he would take away the medicine if I don't stop losing weight. He also suggested eating six oreos a day in addition to regular meals. Try to eat a larger breakfast before taking your Dexedrine and eat a couple of oreos on your way to your classes throughout the day. I know how you feel--food just seems repulsive. I can't guarantee you will regain your appetite, as I don't know how similar Dexedrine is to Adderall. But if you don't follow erratic eating patterns and force yourself to eat, you may start to feel hungry even when feeling the effects of Dexedrine. Good luck!

Werl
06-06-10, 05:06 AM
Try a high carb and protein diet. pasta's, sandwiches, potatoes.

barnops
06-06-10, 07:41 AM
Protein shake like 5-6 times a day (mixed with a serving of dry cream of wheat(Dont worry, it soaks up some of the liquid and turns soft.))
Also "Ensure" or "Boost" work great. Again, as often as possible.
I find that even though adderall takes away my appetite, if I'm just drinking a quick shake my body is alright with it.

ps. I'm 6'1 and 143 (Used to be 155 3 weeks ago...) so I am in the same boat as you 9I just started the above diet 2 days ago after talking to a personal trainer about the best way to add weight (not necessarily muscle weight) to my body.

Marspider
06-06-10, 05:07 PM
Eat more frequently. You probably have difficulty eating enough in one meal so try to have lots of snacks on you and eat every couple of hours.
Cheese is good. Hardboiled eggs are good as well. Eat a few throughout the day. Pasta with lots of cheese.
I don't know how your metabolism works but for me, my appetite goes up when I exercise especially lots of aerobic exercise. Caffeine increases the appetite supposedly so you can try that as well.
Go easily at the beginning to accustom your body and try to graze a lot, but you definitely need to eat more.

sans_serif
06-06-10, 05:12 PM
I find that buying a large case of Clif bars, Larabars, or Lunabars are a good way to pack in a decent amount of calories quickly. I am a college student, and always have one on hand in my backpack and a whole case in my room. They all have about 200-300 calories each and are really good! I have relied on them when I went on meds so I would not lose weight as fast. Eat one right before you go to bed with your multivitamin.

Koblin3426
07-03-10, 05:32 PM
I recently got out of rehab and I gained 25 pounds while in there. I've always had trouble with being skinny my whole life and when I went on adderall it just got way worse (I have the rib issue like you do as well). I'm just about 6 feet tall and now 160ish (yay!) pounds.

I had to basically stretch my stomach by eating a lot even if I was full. I didn't have an appetite even after that until I went on Remeron and even then my appetite isn't great.

However, I'm ABLE to eat, even if I'm not hungry (and not feel sick) because your stomach stretches eventually. I basically did this by eating a lot but varying the types of food because I have a hard time eating a lot of one type of food without feeling full/sick really fast. Also, the whey protein (EAS brand) is really good for building muscle mass when working out.

I workout 5-6 times a week and do heavier weights and lower reps (8-12) to increase mass. If you don't know how to you can just buy some dumbells and use youtube videos to learn like I did :)

Killface1981
07-06-10, 04:20 AM
Congratulations on gaining weight... but EAS is garbage, bro. It's overpriced, and not that great regardless. Unless you actually like the taste of it, go to Nutrition Depot or hit a weight lifting website. Ask what others who actually will down protein shakes and bars til they almost vomit just to gain 5 pounds of muscle. Those guys know what tastes pretty good, and what's actually effective.

I swore by Isopure, Lean Body, and other stuff forever... also the biggest part of weight gain besides lifting weights and eating is sleep.

barnops
07-06-10, 07:05 AM
Congratulations on gaining weight... but EAS is garbage, bro. It's overpriced, and not that great regardless. Unless you actually like the taste of it, go to Nutrition Depot or hit a weight lifting website. Ask what others who actually will down protein shakes and bars til they almost vomit just to gain 5 pounds of muscle. Those guys know what tastes pretty good, and what's actually effective.

I swore by Isopure, Lean Body, and other stuff forever... also the biggest part of weight gain besides lifting weights and eating is sleep.

You can also add other things to your shake!

I mix in peanut butter, honey, eggs, strawberries, etc. Pretty much anything I have laying around.
SO good!

doiadhd
07-06-10, 07:48 AM

Hi,Yarrh-esse:)

I think you will struggle a bit more with attention from thee others....as all adhder's do,as i at 6 ft,but i'll guess at 6.3,there is no getting away from hiding anything.

I can not put fat on,even fat food seems to slip out of me...if i feel this way i try to eat lots of potaoes,if mashed you can make it creamy/slippery for easy access....

The best thing for me is exercise,i can only put muscle on.

Now i have hardly done anything for the last year but am slim with muscle still,maybe due to stress/tension.(memeory musle).

If you do work out...maybe leave cardio alone,and go for weights to build up storage for distance...

Males do not stop grwing to early 20's in most cases....

(docs steroids for teen growth...if so?)

Koblin3426
07-07-10, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the advice :) However, it's what they have at this warehouse near my house, and it's 30 bucks for a 5 pound (huge!) bag of it. I don't really care what it tastes like. I'm a recovering addict and I used to drink captain straight so if you ask me it tastes pretty good lol. It's better than pure whey protein and it's wayyy cheaper than going to GMC. I got like a months worth there for the same price :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's the best whatsoever but it's fine for me :)

nonADHDer
07-08-10, 04:25 PM
After having no appetite for 20 years, all I can say is eat more frequently.

Eat on a schedule. A certain caloric value every 3-4 hours is what I do. At the end of the day, my goal is reached. Muscle growth's been enormous.

1 meal every 6-7hours as I had it before made me entirely lose my appetite as well as huge amounts of weight. I would physically at times drop to the floor because glucose levels skyrocketed. Every 3-4 hours I actually feel hungry and have the desire to eat something, otherwise it feels like I'm just floating in space.

Myke
08-16-10, 09:24 AM
if the food intake seems too much for you.. i suggest you munch on snacks every once in a while... eat a little fast to fasten the metabolism of digestion which will in turn double your food intake

Jett
10-30-10, 05:14 PM
ask your doctor, there are drinks out there with extremely high calorie content, one drink has 2000 calories, which is what an average woman needs everyday ,and 2/3 of what an average man needs, and load up on high calorie foods to eat nibble on through out the day. peanut butter,avocado, and nuts are high calorie and you don't need much for the calories to add up FAST. Maybe you can try to add mayonnaise to sandwiches, drink whole milk with chocolate syrup, add lots of butter or cheese sauce everytime you eat vegetables, etc.I would skip the butter and cheese if your cholesterol is high though. Eat a fattening snack like half an avocado and a handful of nuts as a night time snack. At night, your metabolism slows down and you don't burn off calories very quickly. Peanut butter is good! Eat lots of it! Snack on it through out the day, and since it will make you very thirsty, wash it down with whole milk. Drink a quart of whole milk every day, and high calorie shake.Also drink some water since your body needs it. Fry everything in butter or oil, too. Decrease your physical activity. It's not good to not get any exercise but parking as close to the store as possible, taking the elevator, driving to places that are only a block or two away would also help. Do everything the easy way. Take the car to the car wash instead of washing by hand, and hire people to do yard work. If you can afford it, hire a maid to do housework. Sit around a lot and spend much time doing sedentary activities.

I hope those pounds add on very quickly and soon. Also, simple carbs like sugar, high fructose corn syrup, flour, white rice, etc will increase your appetite. Do a web search on foods with a high glycemic index and eat as much of them as possible, along with your everyday diet of avocado, whole milk, and nuts. White bread has a high glycemic index as does sugar loaded breakfast cereals, and I notice a major increase in appetite after I eat them.

I hope this helps! And to anybody who has an excessive weight problem, do the exact opposite of everything I have written here.