View Full Version : Focalin prices, side effects, experiences

saddboy
02-05-10, 07:05 PM
Hi I tried Focalin from a friend who was on it, I really liked it much better than methylin which I'm on now, but I dont have insurance. I know its new and theres no generic for it yet, but how much do you guys pay without insurance, if any. The side effects of focalin was better than methylin for me, it had less dehydration and thirst than methylin, less appetite suppression, stronger and better focus, but I had a headache the next day with focalin but not with methylin. But I only used focalin for a few days. Any similar experiences? Thanks.

kibbled_bits
02-06-10, 01:01 PM
Actually there IS a generic for Focalin, I think it's quite inexpensive, normally 2-3 doses a day is equivalent to the Focalin XR. My son is on generic Focalin (IR) on the weekends because it wears off sooner and can be used as a booster for after the XR wears off.

There is no generic yet for Focalin XR, last I checked my sons prescription, it would have been over $300 for his one month supply of Focalin XR. The warehouse pharmacies won't save you anything either, I called their pharmacy and they told me that they are really only cheaper on generics

saddboy
02-06-10, 06:11 PM
there is generic for focalin?! wow someones been lying to me, thanks alot!

Scarletta
02-09-10, 04:49 PM
If i could ask, what is good about Focalin? I tried a free trial of the Focalin XR which did not work for me, but I'm wondering about the immediate release Focalin. I really like Ritalin a lot. But I've found some people who think Focalin is the best.

Any particular reason- like, how does it differ from Ritalin?

Thanks!

saddboy
02-09-10, 09:33 PM
It is much stronger than Ritalin, its the same chemical compound but different structure I think, so its the more active type, called dexmethylphenidate. For me I had much deeper focus, people talking and walking by a little loudly while I was studying didnt bother me one bit. And there wasnt much side effects for me compared to Ritalin, thats why I wanna use Focalin, but you should stick with what works best, from reading on these forums about peoples experiences I learned that each drug works differently for everyone.

JR1973
02-10-10, 11:07 AM
Novartis recently updated their Focalin website and they now offer a 30mg capsule now. They also now have a prescription card that that helps with the out of pocket price for Focalin XR. It may be helpful.

http://www.focalinxr.com/info/offer/copay-card.jsp

J

sPacie~Gracie
02-12-10, 01:04 AM
Go to the Website and apply for the Assistance program where you could get discounts.
http://www.focalinxr.com/index.jsp
and print out the card.

lefty1952
02-14-10, 12:49 PM
Been on Focalin XR for a week now . Yes i do get some headache. But over all help me a little. This is the first med i have been on. Guess we will go from here.

saddboy
02-19-10, 04:08 AM
what about heart rate and pressure, did they go up at all?

Josh_kelly
02-28-10, 08:15 AM
generic focalin by teva is garbage compare to the brand by novartis. I would try the brand first

when people switch to another medication, its better to start with the brand first because that would give a clear indication if its working for you or not. I know that many people can not afford brands and they have no choice. But most of the time (especially for ADHD) the difference between brand and generic is night and day. Plus almost all brand companies have prescription assistance programs where, with somepaper work, you can get 3 months supply of free meds. Some would send you cards for 40% off their products (go to the brand manufacturer website directly not those scam discount cards where you have to pay a fee). below is the one for novartis

http://www.patientassistancenow.com/index.jsp?usertrack.filter_applied=true&NovaId=2935376844068972750

http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/about-us/our-patient-caregiver-resources/paf-enrollment.jsp?usertrack.filter_applied=true&NovaId=2935376844068972750

when people switch meds and they start with the generic. They might have bad side effects or feel the medication is not working. So they assume that its not the right medication for them. And switch to another and another. Wasting time and money experimenting.

I never tried focalin XR. I have tried focalin IR and its a dream. More smooth, lasts longer and have less jittery effects than Ritalin.

Once I decided to go with the generic and felts like I wanna get out of my skin. Extreme up and down and finally crash and a tired feeling like I have not slept in days or feverish.

Next day I dropped by doctor's office to write me a prescription for the brand. Smooth sailing after that.

I try to stick with the brand as much as I can. I dont have insurance and choosing brand over generic makes a big dent in my wallet. But I d rather be on no medication that to be on generics.

Of Course, there are many exceptions like sandoz (generic manufacturer but owned by Novartis) their ritalin is brand made by novartis but have a different imprint) and sandoz products are top notch.

Its a swiss based company as apposed to Teva of isreal or Corepharma, impax of india). Sandoz have great quality standards (follow strict European protocols) as apposed to israel or India (where they follow no protocols) FDA have no jurisdictions overseas so they can not monitor quality of what's coming in. They test it when the foreign company applies for a license. But do they keep testing ?
and their shameful history speaks for its self.

hollywood
03-01-10, 10:32 AM
focalin ir is pretty good. I may go back to it next rx along with concerta. I upped my concerta back to my college level whopping dose. Things are going better , it's early and if you have some sides being on the right dose but cutting your sleep I hear intuniv is good for countering that.

ChrisB3712
01-25-12, 11:39 AM
I've just started Focalin XR and I picked up the coupon off of their site, thanks so much for the link. I'm really digging Focalin so far, I can concentrate more easily (although these are the early stages, I've only been on it for a month.) Can the discount be combined with insurance?

G252013
05-24-12, 08:53 PM
generic focalin by teva is garbage compare to the brand by novartis. I would try the brand first

Once I decided to go with the generic and felts like I wanna get out of my skin. Extreme up and down and finally crash and a tired feeling like I have not slept in days or feverish.

yes it is all about the brand, generic just heats you up like an oven and nothing else, nothing

hollywood
05-25-12, 12:57 PM
We all know Novartis is the sh i z n #*t

G252013
05-25-12, 01:19 PM
its bulls*it, because the brand was not available last time i filled

hollywood
05-25-12, 01:49 PM
I bet your miss that metal taste don't you ? Anyways about to get on effexor, it's been the only one that doesn't make me feel tired at all. Not sure why that is.

G252013
05-25-12, 01:53 PM
Yup

5char

G252013
05-25-12, 01:53 PM
just call me robocop, you terminator?

hollywood
05-25-12, 01:58 PM
why is effexor the only one that doenst screw up my adhd ? It doesn't make me tired at all. Why do all the other serotonin meds mess me up while this one I'm more efficient. Not sure what the deal is . I guess they say its not only the serotonin component but its also the selectivity .

hollywood
05-25-12, 10:53 PM
Not sure why more people aren't contributing to our kingdom. I guess it's because of the fear of the throne!

G252013
05-26-12, 07:04 PM
its not easy ruling the streets of the koncrete jungle

hollywood
05-28-12, 05:37 PM
Tell me about effexor

G252013
05-29-12, 12:33 PM

LauraF915
06-01-12, 07:42 PM
Not sure why more people aren't contributing to our kingdom. I guess it's because of the fear of the throne!

Maybe there aren't a lot of people on Focalin? Most people I tell that I'm on Focalin have no clue what it is (I've even had doctors ask me what it is)...

G252013
06-03-12, 12:16 PM
Maybe there aren't a lot of people on Focalin? Most people I tell that I'm on Focalin have no clue what it is (I've even had doctors ask me what it is)...

Same, only P doc's are familiar