View Full Version : Your experience

Jeepboy
06-08-04, 01:34 PM
I am currently awaiting my doctor's determination of wether I'm bipolar or adhd or a bit of both. My question is regarding the meds given for bipolar. What have been your experiences concerning mood changes? Do you stop switching moods at the drop of a pin?

NightStar
06-28-04, 12:38 AM
I was originally mis-diagnosed with Depression (age 16) and placed on Prozac - my family and friends said that I had an immediate change in temper (which before then I don't believe existed at all).

What I noticed at first was a general feeling like I could run around the block a few times I was just so manic - happy all the time for no given reason... then the temper set in.

After they rediagnosed me with Bi-Polar / high aggitation, they placed me on Lithium and Ametriptiline. I don't know which one cased it, but I did not like it one bit... it stole away my highs, no longer feeling passionate about life. I felt like a zombi, and disliked it so much that I eventually quite taking meds (age 20).

Since then I have had no medical insurance, and have just couped day to day on my own... jumping jobs all these years never settled into anything long term. Eventually married, and really don't feel like I had when I was younger, kind of like I had lost the manic highs for good... I am not depressed, but in general feel blah about things. So have a feeling that the meds I did take years ago had permanent side affects, I really don't know - just that I am not the same as I was back years ago.

Recently with work I have reconsidered seeking treatment, since I have a whole lot of trouble with racing thoughts, distractions, and memory day to day. I am thinking that I need to once again be re-diagnosed.

lolacutie
07-27-04, 02:44 PM
Well I was just diagnosed with ADD and Bi-Polar today, and my doctor gave me Trileptal. She going to sort out my mood problems, them move on to my ADD issues.

EYEFORGOT
07-27-04, 05:47 PM
Lamictal for me, just started today. Effexor sent me into manic, doctor hasn't touched the ADD yet. I hope the mood swings stop at the drop of a pin. I'd like that a lot. Keep us posted.

wadew1976
09-12-04, 10:58 PM
Well I was diagnosed with Bi polar and ADHD and I was put on seroquel and Trileptal. They made me sleep 14 hours a night I put on 50 pounds in 4 months or so and I just wanna sleep! My ADD is till not under control so Im gonna start with concerta which I was on before and it worked well. Im going off of my Bi polar meds right now so I can not sleep as much hoping my manic stuff doesnt start again. Does anyone have any bad side effects to Bi polar drugs? Would love to hear how everyone is doing with these issues. Thanks! Wade from Seattle

T-Bass
06-17-05, 12:11 PM
Every since I started Lamictal, my mood has been stabilzer, I'm constantanly ****ed off, shouldn't it be the other way around, I guess that's up to me.

T-Bass

JRJ
07-28-05, 07:19 PM
Wade,
Remember, in treating ADD and bi-polar, you have to put the first things first. Stabilizing your mood & energy levels is necessary before moving onto ADD specific symptoms. (Variable attention, impulsivity, poor organization skills, lack of motivation....) Frankly, bi-polar illness is the more dangerous of the two( --to your self and others--kind of dangerous) Get to know more about both conditions, their symptoms, treatment and coping options. Be totally honest with your treatment providers. New treatments have allowed higher levels of functioning than ever before. You deserve the best, but please don't make major decisions on a whim or by yourself.
Being treated for both disorders has vastly improved my life. I hope you'll find relief as well. (Finding the right combination can be tricky, but don't settle for just OKay. My medication cocktail: Lamictal, Lithobid, Straterra and Focalin)
Joan
JRJ

MIC367
09-25-05, 07:51 PM
I take Trileptal and wouldn't trade it for anything. I tried to switch to Lamictal but started having problems...switching over....
So I started taking my Trileptal again and I feel fine! It definitely keeps the moods in check and if you take it at night, (I take 600mg) it just makes you a little sleepy... but definitely works for me. I also take Lexapro, Concerta and Klonapin.

Matt S.
01-25-06, 05:44 PM
I am ADHD combined type and bipolar I and i only take Topamax 100 mgs. and Adderall XR 25 mgs 2 x daily and that levels me out okay

wadew
01-25-06, 06:47 PM
Adderal made me feel cracked out of my mind and had sexual issues. I dont think im ever gonna have it where im cured but the ups and downs every once in a while suck! Im on 100 of lamictal now. When i get stressed out my brain goes in circles and i start to get confused and tired. I usually just crash!

Nova
02-12-06, 06:40 PM
Bipolar-2 w/ADHD/TLE.
Currently taking Topamax 400 mgs. daily.

My 'mood swings' are triggered when I'm in a setting where I'm frustrated, feeling like I'm in the middle of a busy sidewalk where 'everyone is shoving and pushing' and can't seem to find a peaceful resolution to the problem at the time, and I'm being 'hammered' to give someone an answer/solution/composition etc. instantly....
Work's a little demanding at times...(0:

So I guess to answer that question...in order to prevent 'mood swings'..I would have to prevent being in situations where everyone would not be rude..would be willing to be helpful and polite, not put their needs first or say the words 'I don't know/don't care' as soon as I start to ask a question....
So I guess that answers that question...doesn't it ? (0:

And, depending on the severity of the level of my frustration, I have a tendency get extremely depressed afterwards (which is not equal to regular sadness).

The Topomax helps with my depressive state and my TLE.

Thanks,
Nova