View Full Version : Have you found.....

adhdPEteacher
02-08-10, 11:35 AM
That you are drawn to tech?
I dont know, I love computers, cellphones, flat screen tvs...stuff like that. I am always looking for new software, new things to play with,...the best phone....and then of course I hyper focus about it.

I am still trying to find a smartphone like the htc touch pro 2, that I can use to get organized. Right now I use gmail, outlook, stuff like that.

At school, we have groupwise, novell so I am not sure what I am going to do about that.

I am just not very good anymore at paper/pencil stuff, and no one seems to understand...

Anyone else that way?

daveddd
02-08-10, 01:42 PM
heck yea, i got all the good electronics

but i go through similar phases, while the old ones collect dust

currently it s tools, i am gettin together a huge collection of contractor grade tools , for what? no idea

and i currently get sound and vision magazine, crutchfield , and some other tech magazines

mike91163
02-08-10, 02:03 PM
That you are drawn to tech?
I dont know, I love computers, cellphones, flat screen tvs...stuff like that. I am always looking for new software, new things to play with,...the best phone....and then of course I hyper focus about it.

I am still trying to find a smartphone like the htc touch pro 2, that I can use to get organized. Right now I use gmail, outlook, stuff like that.

At school, we have groupwise, novell so I am not sure what I am going to do about that.

I am just not very good anymore at paper/pencil stuff, and no one seems to understand...

Anyone else that way?

Hey Ryan, is this a trick question? I'd bet 95% of the guys on this forum will respond in the affirmative! :):):)

Yup, I have all the "toys" too...37" 1080p LCD HDTV in the living room, 47" 1080p LCD in the basement rec room...both with Sony A/V HDMI receivers, and full 7.1 speaker systems. Our main computer I custom-built, Core i7-920 processor overclocked to 3.8Ghz with water cooling, 12 gigs of DDR3 RAM, 4 hard drives, 2 LCD displays (23" and 20"). My cellphone is "only" a LG Env Touch...if a smartphone/Blackberry works for you, more power to ya...but I have found that using a "classic" pocket planner and pen is easier. YES, I do put appointments and such in my phone, but for "writing" extensive notes and reminders, I can't be bothered with typing it into the phone-just easier to scribble it down. To each his own...

BTW, here's an article that describes syncing Groupwise with Android-based phones: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/2029-sync-novell-groupwise.html

Not sure what version your school is running...but worth looking into.

mike91163
02-08-10, 02:13 PM
currently it s tools, i am gettin together a huge collection of contractor grade tools , for what? no idea

You too???

I have to tell you, though, as a homeowner like you, I will NEVER, EVER again buy "consumer grade" tools! When my wife and I bought our house 7 yrs ago, I had a $50 Black and Decker 3/8" electric drill...and the damn thing fried itself while I was drilling 3/4" holes in 2 x 10 floor joists to run NM electrical cable. So, I went and bought a $180 Milwaukee 1/2" regular/hammer drill; and that will be the LAST drill I will have to buy for the rest of my life!

Better to buy the good stuff, and have it forever, than replace junk every few years...

daveddd
02-08-10, 03:12 PM
know what you meAN

i just bought a 30 gallon 200 psi dewalt air compressor

so far i have filled my tires with it

adhdPEteacher
02-08-10, 03:58 PM
I just spent like 2 hours searching for a frecking snow shovel! All the stores were out around me.
No, no not a trick questions. I have groupwise at school, right now only have a stupid LG lotus phone, which at the time I thought it was ok, and worth my time and effort.
All this time, I used to go crazy trying to organize things, do alot of research etc...it was adhd, not being picky lol.

I havent gotten into tools but I like to go to home depot and search things out.

For what I am not sure. But I love tech stuff, I brought home the ps2 from our school so I could have something to play with.....I could play video games for hours and I am 37...so go figure.

mike91163
02-08-10, 11:07 PM
I just spent like 2 hours searching for a frecking snow shovel! All the stores were out around me.
No, no not a trick questions. I have groupwise at school, right now only have a stupid LG lotus phone, which at the time I thought it was ok, and worth my time and effort.
All this time, I used to go crazy trying to organize things, do alot of research etc...it was adhd, not being picky lol.

I havent gotten into tools but I like to go to home depot and search things out.

For what I am not sure. But I love tech stuff, I brought home the ps2 from our school so I could have something to play with.....I could play video games for hours and I am 37...so go figure.

I hear ya re: snow shovel...and to think, your county had the LOWEST snow totals in Virginia with 11-12 inches! And, more coming tomorrow :(...and we're gonna get it here in NJ pretty good, too...(got 7" this past weekend)

My "trick question" comment was in the context of almost ALL guys would respond YES about loving tech toys...

Regarding Groupwise: I know what it is, but not real familiar with it, never used it...talk to your district's tech people-maybe they know or could find out if your phone can be synced.

And, last year, the wife and I bought a Wii...keep in mind we don't have any kids...and I'm 46, the wife 49...and yes, we have played it for hours, too! Game consoles ain't just for kids anymore!

adhdPEteacher
02-08-10, 11:40 PM
I have a wii, but I want to get rid of it. No one wants to play besides me, and it gets boring. My daughter is too young, and my son well he is 3 months old....on top of that for the last 2 months I have lived here alone.
So...
with that being said....anyways, tech is pretty darn cool. I really want a htc touch pro 2, but do not have the $$, tried ebay, and craigslist. I saw a tp1 that is all tricked out....custom roms etc...for like 160.00

Wife thinks all these gadgets etc are a waste of money.

oh well.

Cacho
02-09-10, 02:37 AM
SHINY... NEW... EVER CHANGING... RANDOMLY UPDATING... INFINITELY TINKERABLE... MUST HAVE! MUST HAVE!!

yup. The constant and randomized stimulation of technology is irresistible to me.

F5! F5! F5!

ADHDTigger
02-09-10, 06:59 PM
I have a wii, but I want to get rid of it. No one wants to play besides me, and it gets boring. My daughter is too young, and my son well he is 3 months old....on top of that for the last 2 months I have lived here alone.

I want a Wii so BADLY!!! I want to lose serious weight but I can't make myself stay on a calisthenics program and the snow and ice are here until at least April or May. I refuse to go to a gym because there are just some things that a fat woman should never do. One of them is to appear anywhere in spandex!

Wife thinks all these gadgets etc are a waste of money.

oh well.

Your wife is, by that statement alone, obviously insane. I geek, therefore, I am!

Nallia
02-09-10, 07:11 PM
I LOVE technology. I love it so much that I'm back in school to get my BS in IT (not a girl :p ).

We're backwards here. My husband is the one who thinks all of my gadgets are a waste of money. lol

Bishop72
02-09-10, 07:56 PM
I heard a really neat term to label this compulsion to have the latest and greatest:

Neophilia is defined as a love of novelty and new things. A neophiliac or neophile is an individual who is unusually accepting of new things and excited by novelty. The Neophiliacs: Revolution in English Life in the Fifties and Sixties was a 1970 book by Christopher Booker.
The word has particular significance in Internet and hacker culture. The New Hacker's Dictionary gave the following definition to neophilia -
<dl><dd>The trait of being excited and pleased by novelty. Common among most hackers, SF fans, and members of several other connected leading-edge subcultures, including the pro-technology ‘Whole Earth’ wing of the ecology movement, space activists, many members of Mensa, and the Discordian/neo-pagan underground (see geek). All these groups overlap heavily and (where evidence is available) seem to share characteristic hacker tropisms for science fiction, music. The opposite tendency is neophobia.</dd></dl> Recent research uncovered a possible link between certain predisposition to some kind of neophilia and increased levels of the enzyme monoamine oxidase (otherwise known as ADD - sorry, couldn't resist! :D)

Quoted from Wikipedia.

Fezzik
03-11-10, 06:07 PM
I love my Droid and I am hopefully about to build a Quad core computer you know so I can do my school work on it. LOL.

Oh and hopefully going to school in the fall for Networking and I am currently learning Python 3 programming somewhat slowly but more rapidly than I learned Qbasic in highschool.