View Full Version : Any one else have a child with both ADHD and PICA ?

Ames33
02-11-10, 11:15 AM
Just wondering so that maybe if so someone could give me some thought s on how to get my daughter to stop eating all these strange things?

LynneC
02-11-10, 11:33 AM
Hi Ames33, what are you currently doing re the pica?

You've checked into mineral deficiencies?

Ames33
02-11-10, 11:42 AM
I am just sort of watching her like a hawk and I have locked uo all the cupboards with dangerous chemicals etc.
I tell her if I catch her eating something not to eat it that she might get sick or get a belly ache . We have a little thing where I say ok Jolie what goes in your mouth ? She replys food and drink , then I ask her if what she is eating is one of the two she says no and stops eating it for now but will later try to eat it again .There are instances where sh ejust cant stop because it is there ... I have to tie her hair back so she won't eat it ( I know alot of kids chew on their hair but my child eats it )
When she is at school I am not there with her so I often hear about how she ate the crayons ,glue ,grass, wood chips ,chalk etc. I have told the school they have gotten a written letter from her doc stating she has Pica but they don't have enough people to supervise ... I am worried she will find something dangerous to eat at school I don't know what but you just never know.

Ames33
02-11-10, 11:43 AM
Yes She has a bunch of blood tests she just eats it because she gets the urge to I guess

LynneC
02-12-10, 10:48 AM
Ames33, first off, I don't have any special insight into pica; these are just things I would try if my child was diagnosed with pica. (in addition to the things you are already doing, of course)

To rule out any nutritional deficiency (which probably isn't very likely) make sure she's getting a good children's multivitamin with zinc and iron.
At 5 years old, I think one additional nutritional supplement that you might want to consider would be fish oil (EPA + DHA). You can find gummies in the health food store that she should like, or a product like Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil (liquid)that is flavored and doesn't taste like fish.

Pica in AHDH kids can also be related to the dopamine issues that ADHD kids suffer from.
She's not been formally diagnosed, is that correct? Once she has a diagnoses, if you choose to put her on meds, her pica may subside.

This must be very stressful for you, having to constantly watch what's going into her mouth.

Ames33
02-12-10, 01:25 PM
I have Jolie on a both my girls on a mullti vit. and the gummie fish oil vit.
Jolie has been formly diagnosed with both pica and ADHD we have tried 2 meds both didn't work. We are currently researching other meds so we can try the next one. I am thinking so far from the things I have read that the next med will be Concerta ...(the doctor suggested I research and choose the next next med out of a list of meds he gave me.) I just have to make another appt. with the doc.
It has been very trying having to watch her so closely I wonder in some ways if the ADHD is making her Pica worst because I can tell her not to eat something and literally 5 seconds later the item ,if it is something constantly within her reach , will be in her mouth again. I just worry about her.