View Full Version : any advice or suggestions on dealing with adhd asd children

antzpantz_4011
02-19-10, 04:27 PM
Hi my son is 7 years old has been on ritalin for about 2 years is now on 9 tablets 10mg a day he has 3 at 6am 3 at 10am and 3 at 2pm, He ios also on prozac and 3 melotonin. he has a diagnosis of ADHD variant and ASD. We need help desperately. If you have any tests or any other suggestions to what we can do in order to be 100% sure that the diagnosis is correct we would be greatful to here it. He is not having learning problems but his behaviour is extremely impulsive irrational and very much hard to handle. Diet changes have been tried with no success. Ritalin seems to make him a bit more manageable but still not working as well as it once did. Thanks for your time.

Lady Lark
02-19-10, 05:45 PM
The thing is, there is no 100% accurate test that can be done for these thing. No blood work, no x-ray, nothing. It is symptom based, and that leads to misdiagnosis because many disorders have the same symptoms, but a different root cause.

My son started with a ADHD diagnosis, like most do, and ended up with a dual diagnosis of ADHD and Asperger's. Medication alone wasn't enough, behavior modification alone wasn't either. Put the two together though, and he made amazing progress.

If you're unsure of the diagnosis I would highly recommend seeing a developmental pediatrician, and finding a good play therapist.

solsken
02-19-10, 10:30 PM
The thing is, there is no 100% accurate test that can be done for these thing. No blood work, no x-ray, nothing. It is symptom based, and that leads to misdiagnosis because many disorders have the same symptoms, but a different root cause.

My son started with a ADHD diagnosis, like most do, and ended up with a dual diagnosis of ADHD and Asperger's. Medication alone wasn't enough, behavior modification alone wasn't either. Put the two together though, and he made amazing progress.

If you're unsure of the diagnosis I would highly recommend seeing a developmental pediatrician, and finding a good play therapist.

Ditto with this. My eldest son (who is adopted and we don't have much of his history before age 2) is almost 11 now and was first diagnosed with RAD, then ADHD, then finally ASD. He no longer meets the RAD diagnosis. But he definitely still has ADHD and ASD. It is getting easier with age. We had very tough early years and followed very structured and consistent behavior management plans. We have had to play around with meds. We've had to do that with all 3 of our kids (they all have adhd). Every person and their biochemical makeup is unique, so what works for one has no effect or worse for another.

Find a support group if you can. Research cites having a support group as one of the biggest positive factors in helping a parent.

OP, I wish you all the luck. Things are definitely getting easier for us. The toddler, preschool, early elem years were just so challenging. Sometimes I would lock myself in my bathroom and sob it was so hard. Our son was really aggressive and explosive. The defiance was continual, plus he did not sleep. :eek: If I can be of more support, please do not hesitate to ask.:)