View Full Version : Spooler Subsystem App Stoppted Working And Was Closed

netsavy006
02-20-10, 08:37 PM
My computer is windows 7. My brother's is windows vista. I try to print anything be it something off the internet or a word document, I get the error in the topic title. What can I do to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Andy...

mike91163
02-20-10, 11:40 PM
Hey Andy! This is usually caused by one of two things:

1--A print "job" stuck in the print "spooler"; or

2--A malfunctioning/corrupt printer driver.

By the way, both these fixes work in Vista or Windows 7.

All right, here we go... for #1:

--Click Start-then, in the Search box, type (without the quotes), "services.msc", and press Enter.
--The Services window opens...scroll down the list (it should be alphabetical) to the Print Spooler. Double-click it-a new window opens. In it, a little more than 1/2 way down, look for Service Status; it will probably say Started. If so, click the STOP button. It should say "stopped" fairly quickly.
--Leave those windows open...go back to and click Start; in the "search" window right above that Start button, enter the following (without the quotes, and NO spaces): "c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\" and press Enter on the keyboard.
--A Windows Explorer window will open right to this folder-make sure by looking at the top bar-left to right should match what you see above, except that it will begin with "computer" first. Anyway, the right "column" of the window should be EMPTY.
--If there ARE any files in there (usually, but not always in the form of xxxxxx.spl), DELETE EVERY one of them.
--Once you're sure this folder is empty, close this window. Now, you should be back at the Print Spooler Properties window. Click the Start button here, let it start, then click OK. Now close the Services window.

Now try to print something...if it prints, problem solved!

If you still can't print, go to the website of the printer manufacturer...look for a "support" or "downloads" link right on the main page...then follow their instructions. Please note that if they do not list a driver for Windows 7, you CAN use a Vista driver safely on Windows 7.

Good luck...and please PM me with the results!

Mike