View Full Version : Piracetam

dude102
02-20-10, 09:32 PM
Anyone tried this with success?

EshkaronsEngine
02-21-10, 02:04 AM
Since I see no one has posted at all I'll just say that I was sorely disapointed with Piracetam after I had researched it as being like the first nootropic and stuff. Anyways I usually always notice a reaction of somekind when I take vitamins or amino-acids but this was like drinking water.

dude102
02-24-10, 02:58 PM
Since I see no one has posted at all I'll just say that I was sorely disapointed with Piracetam after I had researched it as being like the first nootropic and stuff. Anyways I usually always notice a reaction of somekind when I take vitamins or amino-acids but this was like drinking water.

What type of ADHD do you have?

EshkaronsEngine
02-24-10, 03:25 PM
To be fair I haven't been officially diagnosed(mainly cause doc said who cares take meds and see what works, that's what matters kinda thing - I respond to Strattera and Wellbutrin, most probably Inattentive. My brain chemistry does fluctuate so I actually just popped a couple Piracetam and within fifteen minutes noticed some euphoria, so it ain't water to me this time round, but I highly doubt it has a significant overall impact though but I will keep this up for a bit to see.

dude102
02-24-10, 04:03 PM
To be fair I haven't been officially diagnosed(mainly cause doc said who cares take meds and see what works, that's what matters kinda thing - I respond to Strattera and Wellbutrin, most probably Inattentive. My brain chemistry does fluctuate so I actually just popped a couple Piracetam and within fifteen minutes noticed some euphoria, so it ain't water to me this time round, but I highly doubt it has a significant overall impact though but I will keep this up for a bit to see.

could be a placebo effect but keep me updated.. i heard it takes weeks to build up in the system.

EshkaronsEngine
02-24-10, 04:36 PM
yeah i read that as well and that when this happens that's when it stops working or something. I could be getting it mixed up with some other amino acid though. I personally think that meds etc.. can have an intial reaction, like i just had with Piracetam just because it is so foreign to the system. There may be no science behind it just because they haven't found it yet I don't know. But as far as I can remember with this piracetam it has more of an effect on overall well-being than attention. I'll take some again tomorrow and see if i get same effect but I won't take it as suggested like 2 pills 3 times a day.

dude102
02-24-10, 06:31 PM
yeah i read that as well and that when this happens that's when it stops working or something. I could be getting it mixed up with some other amino acid though. I personally think that meds etc.. can have an intial reaction, like i just had with Piracetam just because it is so foreign to the system. There may be no science behind it just because they haven't found it yet I don't know. But as far as I can remember with this piracetam it has more of an effect on overall well-being than attention. I'll take some again tomorrow and see if i get same effect but I won't take it as suggested like 2 pills 3 times a day.

I heard you should also take it with a choline source. I dont think there is any tolerance issues with piracetam, but I have read on some topics that it stopped working for them... so they had to cycle it. Seems to have a buildup effect as well as downregulation.

EshkaronsEngine
02-25-10, 05:23 PM
It was pretty cool that I noticed last night that I was pulling words outta thin air. I mean I had no trouble at all remembering names, I mean like no time-delay at all. I think it may be affecting the area of the mind that many people have posted where they have problems with words on the tip of their tongues but wouldn't be able to get them out. I think this would help. So it seems to me that it had improved some memory recall capablities.

I took 2x800mg pills again today and did not notice the mild euphoria effect I experienced yesterday and subsequently do not think that I will experience the memory recall effect either that I had experienced last night(I'll post about it if it does give me better recall).

Now I remember my previous conclusions about this pill. I think it is something that only works when it is not used every day and does not build up in your system. I am going to experiment a bit and see if i can figure out how long i have to wait b4 the beneficial effects return.:rolleyes:

dude102
03-01-10, 04:20 AM
It was pretty cool that I noticed last night that I was pulling words outta thin air. I mean I had no trouble at all remembering names, I mean like no time-delay at all. I think it may be affecting the area of the mind that many people have posted where they have problems with words on the tip of their tongues but wouldn't be able to get them out. I think this would help. So it seems to me that it had improved some memory recall capablities.

I took 2x800mg pills again today and did not notice the mild euphoria effect I experienced yesterday and subsequently do not think that I will experience the memory recall effect either that I had experienced last night(I'll post about it if it does give me better recall).

Now I remember my previous conclusions about this pill. I think it is something that only works when it is not used every day and does not build up in your system. I am going to experiment a bit and see if i can figure out how long i have to wait b4 the beneficial effects return.:rolleyes:

Yeah pulling words out of thin air is what I really need to be able to do.. also with accuracy. have you tried amphetamines or other meds?

EshkaronsEngine
03-01-10, 03:54 PM
Yeah pulling words out of thin air is what I really need to be able to do.. also with accuracy. have you tried amphetamines or other meds?

Good news your post reminded me about this. I just popped a couple more piracetam and feel the euphoria back. Last time I took this was the 25th. I'll post again when I see some memory recall.

I have tried Ritalin and Dex but they gave me bad rebound depression. I remember the Dex helped me think outta the box a little bit but the Rit was incredible at keeping me focused. But my main problem is lack of mental energy, like trying to get the thoughts coming and staying (It's like I have ADD "without the noise" so there really wasn't a point on putting a straight jacket on a mind that was distracted but wasn't thinking. The Strattera seemed to keep thoughts up in the air so to speak so that I could work on them and add to them. Although it's not doing such a good job of this this time around for me.

EshkaronsEngine
03-02-10, 03:12 AM
Good news your post reminded me about this. I just popped a couple more piracetam and feel the euphoria back. Last time I took this was the 25th. I'll post again when I see some memory recall.

I can't say this time around that it really helped me with recall, though I was in a more social environment last time. One thing though is that I think it does help with mental stress regardless and also that to me it reminds me of how ginkgo biloba worked, like u can tell it's pumping more oxygen upstairs. So my experience with Piracetam is that I feel euphoria for around 45 minutes - 1 hour followed by around 8 hours of sustained mental strength and then if I'm lucky that memory recall thing though for me it didn't materialize until like around 8 hours after taking it, though now when i think of it i think i had a beer that night so maybe that potentiated this reaction, so in another few days i will try again and this time have some beer with it.

dude102
03-04-10, 03:24 AM
Did you try it with a choline source?

EshkaronsEngine
03-04-10, 04:02 AM
no cause i wanted to make sure it was working on its own first - i'll take some Phosphatadyl Serine next time though. Could u explain the term down-regulation a bit please?

dude102
03-04-10, 05:12 PM
your body adjusts to the chemical imbalance after supplementing yourself with a certain chemical and produces less of it, since it can easily obtain it, then when you stop using the chemical, the body produces less of that substance than normal, so you are in a sense dependent on the substance. You'd have to do your own research though, I'm not an expert.

EshkaronsEngine
03-05-10, 07:30 PM
I popped a couple more Piracetam along with PS. I don't think the PS adds anything synergistically with Piracetam(PS can stand on its own and has its own effects). Maybe it would help over the long haul like if u decide to take it day to day but that's not where my interest lies. I'm drinking a .5% beer right now and do notice a quickening of info flow so go figure?

dude102
03-06-10, 04:25 AM
I popped a couple more Piracetam along with PS. I don't think the PS adds anything synergistically with Piracetam(PS can stand on its own and has its own effects). Maybe it would help over the long haul like if u decide to take it day to day but that's not where my interest lies. I'm drinking a .5% beer right now and do notice a quickening of info flow so go figure?

when I have alcohol sometimes I can think faster as well.... coincidence?

dude102
03-11-10, 09:47 PM
I heard some negative effects associated with long term use of piracetam, so you better watch out:

imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=30157&view=findpost&p=390519

Atsuko
04-07-10, 06:02 PM
(ADHD, predominantly inattentive here, procrastination is ruining my life)

Piracetam made me euphoric for a few days and possibly gave some brain-enhancing effects for a few days but I never could get it to work again after that. The brain fog went right back. I played with the dose a lot but never found anything that had any effect. Yes, I stayed within the appropriate range (1 gram to 3+ grams, I know it's sensitive, but nothing worked and I tried it long enough at various individual ranges to know they didn't work).

The effect was noticeable when it did work, for 3 days on my first use ever. Even if I discontinued it later on and picked it up again, it never worked again.

For the first successful 3 days of use, not only was I euphoric (at the time I thought I was just being smarter, but now I think I also had euphoria) but words came out very easily, even when drunk. I asked my sister questions about her financial business and understood well, despite being drunk. Outside of this too, I felt smarter...

I ended up basically replanning my life on these 2-3 days where it worked as I felt like I could do anything. I later realized that although it did help my speech/comprehension during these days, most of it might have been euphoria because in truth, I did spend time writting about how I could accomplish this and that and tons of things... but I didn't actually take any steps toward any of these things!

And to top it off... and this is important... 2 things:

1- I was then depressed for 2-3 months because I had felt like I could change my life and discovered I had fooled myself, that I would still have difficulty progressing just like before.

2- I re-tried piracetam/choline 2 more times (after dumping it in the garbage each time) hoping it might work again, thinking I just didn't get the dosage right, and even tried other racetams. None of them worked BUT I FELT LIKE IT HAD SLOWED DOWN MY KIDNEYS! Basically I would drink a lot of water as I usually do, would go to the bathroom, and little urine would come out. I then felt sharp pains in my lower back (where I guess kidneys are), and in the front, where I figured my bladder was (dunno the word... crotch? pelvis? pubic bone? behind that) I discontinued use and didn't have anymore problems.

In case this last comment interests you, here's more. I then I went to forums.somethingawful.com where I had learned of piracetam. There are 2 posts with about 2000 replies on piracetam (titled "I'm gay for piracetam" and "I'm even gayer for piracetam") and noticed some very scary comments hidden among so many others. One person said that he had used piracetam/choline for a few months and eventually his kidneys STOPPED for more than a day and he had to go to the emergency room, and almost died from having delayed this at first. He said he felt like an idiot for having followed forum advice on taking it and warned people against it. After that, I thought of my own kidney pain, lack of pee... and of the fact that I could hardly find anyone who had taken piracetam for more than a week with any success... and felt like an idiot too.

I want to say two things... One, among the tons of people who go nuts when they try it, I have very very rarely seen anyone claiming that they are still on it after a significant period of time and with positive comment on it. Two, I now read some of the claims with a grain of salt. So it is used in Europe? You know what, they speak French and English in europe. I speak both languages. How come all the positive info on piracetam is from the perspective of an American who knows "they use Piracetam in europe!" yet I never find any info from an european source on it?

I do not recommend anyone try piracetam outside of a doctor's recommendation.

june1986
04-12-10, 06:04 PM
Hi Atsuko,

I'm still a novice in my piracetam knowledge, but I can tell you that if you're interested in more information, especially pertaining to other countries' views on piracetam, there are a lot of good articles out there. I see that you posted negative piracetam posts, but then said not to trust anything on internet posts. I too agree this can be dangerous, but I do think that you can find just as much good as bad, and one person's experience does not deny, nor accredit a certain phenomenon. I feel that many people have bad or good experiences due to several other factors interacting with a certain drug. It might not be that the drug itself is bad, but that someone has underlying conditions, or even normal conditions (i.e. a certain acidity of the stomach) that changes experiences from one person to another.

Anyway, if you're interested, I recommend going to google scholar and typing in piracetam. The problem with doing a google search in the US is that most hits/websites are US related or originate in the us (as opposed to say, forums in other countries).

The following articles are from Sweden, just for a taste of information:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120064136/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119920648/abstract

I do agree, if you're having problems like that you should stop immediately, and seeing a doctor is always good. I just wanted to add some information :)

Atsuko
04-12-10, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the link and for your comment as well.

The first link doesn't work though - it gives me a cookie session expired error... is it accessible only when logged in?

I want to say that I don't think people should not believe anything based on Internet post. Actually, it is from forum posts (feedback from users) that I both learned good and bad things about it. I want to say "users beware" in this case only because among so many users who post great comments, I rarely heard anything good from long-term users.

For anyone interested in using piracetam, I'd rephrase my opinion as such: interested users should make sure to base their decision to use it based on long-term users' feedback and ignore anything from people who are happy about it after a week. Not because they shouldn't believe the latter, but rather because any info on short term benefits is essentially unimportant since what matters far more is long-term benefits and potential harmful effects.

And if they can go the extra mile and read scientific studies, that is even better - but I would avoid being a Google Newbie like myself, and instead go to Google Scholar as suggested :)

EDIT: The links now work... maybe I had to visit them twice for the site to first set cookies.
If others have problems, try these instead, I removed URL parameters that might have caused the problem:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120064136/abstract
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119920648/abstract

Naussicaa
04-27-10, 08:57 AM
Piracetam has never worked for me. I have taken attack doses, low doses, and regular doses. I still take it everyday in the hope it does something, I hear it is helpful with my dexedrine.

Apparently it does does nothing. No noticeable effect, no problem, and since I have purchased a crapload of it I take it anyways. No noticeable bad effects. I take baking soda in the morning, and it makes me pee all the time (drinking a lot of water too).

Naussicaa
04-28-10, 09:01 AM
Im sorry I lied. I wanted to say it does do some stuff.
I take it choline to prevent headaches. It can give me a headache if I dose that incorrectly.
I do not like to eat sugar at all, I water down my juices and avoid candy because I do not like the taste. I hear that Piracetam fixes blood sugar, and that other people do no crave sugar, but whenever I take it I craaaaaaave sugar, I must have it. I look for delicious sugary foods like cheesecake, blueberries and add syrup to my yogurt.