View Full Version : It's becoming increasingly harder to wake up in the morning

musicpainter
02-22-10, 05:02 PM
I used to have hardcore insomnia. I would sleep only 3-4 nights a week so essentially slept as many nights a week as I stayed up. It was awful.

Turned out it was caused by my excessive drug use. After quitting all that, I finally slept. I would go to bed and be able to fall asleep before 3am. It used to be that if I wasn't asleep by 3am, it wasn't happening so I'd just give up and stay up.

After about a year of a normal sleep schedule all of a sudden I am finding it increasingly harder to wake up in the morning.

I go to bed every night around 11pm. I turn on my laptop and watch a little bit of some TV from the DVD'd TV shows I have. Then around 12:30ish I'm asleep. NO change in that schedule.

I know it's "wrong" to sleep to TV/music/etc but I cannot sleep without it. Long story there but when I try to sleep to silence it doesn't work and I'm up all night thinking.

I used to wake up at around 8:30-9am. No problem. But lately I cannot wake up early. I go to bed at the same time, fall asleep at the same time, but cannot wake up until 10-11am. It's awful. I set my alarm early for intervals to get myself up but I either sleep through it, or turn it off, roll over and am asleep again.

I don't know what's causing this. I try and wake up early but it just doesn't work and I cannot get out of bed until 10-11 and that's a big part of my morning gone. Luckily I don't have any reason to be up so I'm not missing a class or work or anything, but I like to at least try and be productive. I have class one morning a week at 10 which means I have to be up by 8 to leave, park, get MAX, and be downtown to campus by 9:45. It's not as though I have any taxing schedule or anything that's exhausting me.

It's just like all of a sudden I can't get enough sleep and can't wake up easily. And I don't know what's causing it!?!

meridian
02-22-10, 06:35 PM
Try googling "Top Ten Most Annoying Alarm Clocks" and get one that WILL wake you up.

But disturbances in sleep patterns can be kind of par for the course for people like us.

HTH

musicpainter
02-23-10, 03:20 AM
In high school I used to just never want to get up for school so I used to set my alarm clock so the radio would play when it went off. I always set it to whatever local station played Howard Stern in the morning and that always got me right up and out of bed.

But when I try doing that now, or set the most obnoxious ring tone on my phone, I just find myself ignoring it or turning it off in my half-sleep state.

Mantis
03-12-10, 08:26 AM
Ahh, I do the same thing.
Back in high school, I would get up really early every day without an effort.

Nowadays, getting out of bed is like the worst part of the day!
And I wake up so late >_<
Any alarms will be disabled immediately in my half-asleep state.

meridian
03-12-10, 11:30 AM
The alarm clocks I am talking about make you get up and chase them around the room, etc.

These are NOT normal alarm clocks! :eek: