View Full Version : Please help if you can!!!!!

aamicallef723
02-23-10, 09:39 PM
My 10 yr. old son has ADHD. I am desperate. I don't even know where to start. He has been on adderall, daytrana, vyvanse, and now he is on intuniv. I have tried telling his Dr. that the intuniv is not working but he insists keeping him on it. I am completely fed up with this Dr. On the days that his office is open there is no getting through on the phone. If I need to talk to someone I have to drive to the office. When he does have an appt. we wait for hours!! There is one Dr. and they make multiple appts. for the same time. I want to find him a new Dr. I have tried using Google to do this. That didn't get me very far. I don't know what else to do. I don't know where else to look. We live in a small town with one other ADHD Dr. His caseload is so overwhelming that he has started referring paitients to the above mentioned Dr. Can anybody give me any advice on how to go about looking for a new Dr., or if you know of a Dr. in the Lexington, KY area, (which is about an hour away, that's as far as I can travel). Please, Please, Please let me know! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGDAD
02-24-10, 05:25 PM
How long has he been on Intuniv? What is his dosage? It takes a few weeks before you can move up to a true theraputic dose. what are your sons symptoms? What happens when he gets on the medication?

Just look for a child psychiatrist. Most are very busy and it takes a while to get in.

Pensosa
02-24-10, 05:34 PM
CHADD, the national ADHD non-profit, has a provider search on their website: http://www.chadd.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Search_Page

I'm not a doctor, but it does take some time before medications can titrate fully into one's body...

Is your son's pediatrician available to answer questions? I know the ped is not the perscriber, but it may be easier to get him/her on the phone...

aamicallef723
02-24-10, 06:05 PM
He has been on Intuniv for about 2 months. He is on 2mg. I have tried to have him raise it but he won't. There is absolutely no change in his behavior when he takes the medicine. I know it takes time for medication to work, and get to theraputic levels. It has been long enough. The Intuniv does not work. I really liked the vyvanse, but didn't like the person he was on it. He had horrible mood swings on the medication. He tried to lower the dosage, but that was ineffective. His doctor said that if this medicine didn't work he was going to look into treating him for bipolar disorder??????

jmsmom
02-25-10, 05:26 PM
My son sees a Psychiatrist with UK Healthcare in Lexington for his ADHD. The dept is Psychiatry Outpatient Services University of Kentucky. The number is 859-323-6021. You probably will get a recording and will have to leave a msg. They will get back to you! We are very pleased so far with the way things are going there. We also see a Therapist . This is where you will start and then will be referred to a Psychiatrist. I think this will help you and where you need to be! Good luck. :)

MGDAD
02-25-10, 06:02 PM
He has been on Intuniv for about 2 months. He is on 2mg. I have tried to have him raise it but he won't. There is absolutely no change in his behavior when he takes the medicine. I know it takes time for medication to work, and get to theraputic levels. It has been long enough. The Intuniv does not work. I really liked the vyvanse, but didn't like the person he was on it. He had horrible mood swings on the medication. He tried to lower the dosage, but that was ineffective. His doctor said that if this medicine didn't work he was going to look into treating him for bipolar disorder??????

Well, I believe the highest dosage for Intuniv is 3mg. If 2mg does not do anything, then 3mg probably wont do much either. 2 months is plenty long to know if it is working.

Kids with bipolar often have their mood swings exascerbated when on stimulants.

What symptoms does your son have when unmedicated? Why would the doctor think he has bipolar dissorder? Is your son depressed? Have anxiety? Lack of focus? Anger issues? Do you have to walk on eggshells around him? Sounds like the doctor is trying things step by step, which is fine. It does take some time to get things figured out for some people.

aamicallef723
02-26-10, 01:05 PM
The highest dosage for Intuniv is 4 mg. When he is not on any medication, his symptoms are: Hyper, inattentive, impulsive, moody! I wouldn't say I walk around on eggshells, but I do try to keep the peace. My son has been seeing this Dr. going on 4 years now. He has metioned Bipolar quite a few times, but has never tested him for it. There are signs of depression, maybe some anxiety. He is scared of everything. He does get very emotional at times.

aamicallef723
02-26-10, 01:17 PM
JMSMOM-Thank you soooooo much! I was hoping to get him into somebody with them!! I just didn't know what kind of Dr. dealt with this. When we lived in Fl. his pediatrician specialized in it. Here he is seeing a neurologist. Thanks again!!!!

ditzydreamer
02-27-10, 06:35 PM
If your doctor has suspected Bipolar this long, I would be questioning why he thought stimulants would be a good idea??? A good doctor who is knowledgeable about Bipolar in children will treat Bipolar symptoms first. On the other hand, getting a doctor to recognize Bipolar symptoms in kids is half the battle of finding treatment that works.
Can you get in (I know it is a pain) and discuss treatment for Bipolar and how it might work better than the stimulants for your son?

aamicallef723
02-28-10, 01:06 AM
If your doctor has suspected Bipolar this long, I would be questioning why he thought stimulants would be a good idea??? A good doctor who is knowledgeable about Bipolar in children will treat Bipolar symptoms first. On the other hand, getting a doctor to recognize Bipolar symptoms in kids is half the battle of finding treatment that works.
Can you get in (I know it is a pain) and discuss treatment for Bipolar and how it might work better than the stimulants for your son?

I totally agree with you. He has mentioned Bipolar disorder quite a few times over the years. It makes me so nervous, my boyfriend was recently diagnosed with Bipolar disorder at 32. He has basically destroyed his life because of self medicating over the years. To deal with the emotions he didn't know how to handle. Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy and he works hard and spoils us all to the best of his ability. But, this is not the kind of life I want my son to fall into. I don't want him to be emotionally unavailable. Right now I am scared to death of what is going to happen when he hits puberty.

Lady Lark
02-28-10, 01:27 PM
There is a world of difference between getting an early diagnosis (and therefore early intervention) and not knowing for a goodly portion of your life. My sister is bi-polar, and while it isn't an easy thing to live with, it isn't the end of the world either. Nor does it mean that someone is condemned to a horrible life. I can completely understand the worry, but you have to stay positive for your kid's sake.

aamicallef723
02-28-10, 02:47 PM
There is a world of difference between getting an early diagnosis (and therefore early intervention) and not knowing for a goodly portion of your life. My sister is bi-polar, and while it isn't an easy thing to live with, it isn't the end of the world either. Nor does it mean that someone is condemned to a horrible life. I can completely understand the worry, but you have to stay positive for your kid's sake.

I am very sorry. I absolutely do not believe that if he does have bipolar disorder the he would be condemned to a horrible life. I should have chosen my words a little better. I do stay very positive. I am just at the end of my rope. My fear if does go undiagnosed that he would fall into that kind of behavior. Like I said, my boyfriend was 32 before he was diagnosed. My sisters boyfriend also went undiagnosed until he was an adult. While I understand it is a coincidence, they both fell into the self medicating behavior. I see what it has done to them. I just really don't want this for my son. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Lady Lark
02-28-10, 07:44 PM
No apologies needed. I can relate to the wondering and the worry. There's a history of depression, bi-polar, ADD, and all around crazy in the family tree, and I wonder what will happen with my own kids too. I try not to borrow trouble (since I usually have plenty on hand) and I try not to look too hard and see things that may not be there.

MGDAD
03-01-10, 01:17 PM
The highest dosage for Intuniv is 4 mg. When he is not on any medication, his symptoms are: Hyper, inattentive, impulsive, moody! I wouldn't say I walk around on eggshells, but I do try to keep the peace. My son has been seeing this Dr. going on 4 years now. He has metioned Bipolar quite a few times, but has never tested him for it. There are signs of depression, maybe some anxiety. He is scared of everything. He does get very emotional at times.

Well since the doctor has tried and failed to adequately treat the ADHD symptoms. I would say it is time to change protocols and treat the mood and/or the anxiety. Sometimes the treatment of those issues help with the ADHD issues too. Good luck with the new doctor. Please let us know what happens.

There is no real test for Bipolar, but there are questionares geared toward diagnosis. In the end it is all pretty subjective.

aamicallef723
03-01-10, 11:22 PM
Well since the doctor has tried and failed to adequately treat the ADHD symptoms. I would say it is time to change protocols and treat the mood and/or the anxiety. Sometimes the treatment of those issues help with the ADHD issues too. Good luck with the new doctor. Please let us know what happens.

There is no real test for Bipolar, but there are questionares geared toward diagnosis. In the end it is all pretty subjective.

Thank you! I agree! I will keep you posted!

Codykins
03-04-10, 11:02 AM
My 10 yr. old son has ADHD. I am desperate. I don't even know where to start. He has been on adderall, daytrana, vyvanse, and now he is on intuniv. I have tried telling his Dr. that the intuniv is not working but he insists keeping him on it. I am completely fed up with this Dr. On the days that his office is open there is no getting through on the phone. If I need to talk to someone I have to drive to the office. When he does have an appt. we wait for hours!! There is one Dr. and they make multiple appts. for the same time. I want to find him a new Dr. I have tried using Google to do this. That didn't get me very far. I don't know what else to do. I don't know where else to look. We live in a small town with one other ADHD Dr. His caseload is so overwhelming that he has started referring paitients to the above mentioned Dr. Can anybody give me any advice on how to go about looking for a new Dr., or if you know of a Dr. in the Lexington, KY area, (which is about an hour away, that's as far as I can travel). Please, Please, Please let me know! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your local hospital and seek out their child development center, find a neuodevelopmental Pediatrcian. I have three hosiptals and one is a little further away but an excellant hospital for eveything child. I found a wonderful doctor thru them and love, love, love them. Their office dosen't run real well either but I have so much respect for them!