View Full Version : Trouble finding answers...Mirapex with stimulants?

tlhengel
02-24-10, 01:03 PM
I'm currently taking 20-40mg Adderall XR daily for ADD w/o hyperactivity and I've been researching Mirapex for my RLS and Fibromyalgia. I can't find ANYTHING about whether you can take these two drugs together.

I've been researching for days on end, and I try very hard to understand the science behind everything, but it's like reading Latin for me. From what I get (I apologize in advance if I'm TOTALLY off base here) both Adderall and Mirapex work with dopamine and the dopamine receptors, although I'm sure in different ways.

I'm just wondering if they will interact poorly because of this. I'm not completely against stopping my Adderall, but I'd prefer to stay on it if possible. I know I can always talk to my doc about this, but my appointments tend to go better if I arrive knowing as much as I can about the matter at hand.

Thanks for anyones help!

Liberty
04-17-10, 11:31 AM
Maybe a little late for you as your post was in January, but I take both. I've had RLS as long as I can remember and was a nightmare having to exercise my leg muscles every night before they would quit and I could sleep. Mirapex was my miracle drug. It was a year or so after that I started taking Adderall for ADD and then moved to Concerta. My doctor knows about the Mirapex and has no concerns. It actually was a question about sleep when I first was prescribed Adderall and Mirapex usually makes me sleepy around an hour after I take it.

chrono
04-17-10, 05:21 PM
Thanks for posting! Pramipexole is a dopamine D2/D3 agonist, and many report varying effects on mood or attention. Did you notice any subjective interactions at the beginning, or continuing?

Liberty
05-01-10, 04:43 PM
Nothing that I would contribute to mirapex. I have seen all the warnings about addictions, etc and did go on a severe internet spending spree when I first started taking it and before reading those warnings, but that's just me! Impulse spending I believe is part of my ADD and is nothing new for me.

Do you know anything about the link between RLS and ADD? I've read variously - that RLS may be the cause of the ADD symptoms, or alternatively there is some other connection (can't remember the term).

There seems to be a lot of the dopamine connection in my family, Mom has rls and so does my brother. My father and sister do not, but sister has all of my symptoms of ADD! My niece, 9, (brother's child) is also diagnosed with ADD. And also . . . this may or may not be a connection, my Father's half brother has Parkinson's as did all three of my Mother's half sisters.