View Full Version : Anxiety Med HELLLPPP Please!!

Shejay
02-26-10, 12:41 PM
I am currently on Welbutrin 150mg 2X's a day. I am not drepessed, I am an OCD'r with high Anxiety... I am really scared of Benzo's, but I have done Effexor and Zoloft so I need something with more of a kick. I am really stressing - figuring out what drug is best for Anxiety is REALLY raising my Anxiety level... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hollywood
02-26-10, 12:49 PM
are you not depressed because the wellbutrin is helping with that and it may be spiking your anxiety a little...? Wellbutrin is great but it's not great for anxiety . Are you currently on stimulants as well? The snri's are supposed to have a kick with the NE so that is your best bet other than something like intuniv which is a hypertensive and would help the physical symptoms of anxiety but I'm not so sure about the mental ones. It may help adhd ... maybe which would directly lessen your anxiety. I think anxiety is a secondary trait characteristic in nature or origin of the mind. Meaning that to treat it directly often isn't the best method. Are you only taking wellbutrin?

Shejay
02-26-10, 01:07 PM
are you not depressed because the wellbutrin is helping with that and it may be spiking your anxiety a little...? Wellbutrin is great but it's not great for anxiety . Are you currently on stimulants as well? The snri's are supposed to have a kick with the NE so that is your best bet other than something like intuniv which is a hypertensive and would help the physical symptoms of anxiety but I'm not so sure about the mental ones. It may help adhd ... maybe which would directly lessen your anxiety. I think anxiety is a secondary trait characteristic in nature or origin of the mind. Meaning that to treat it directly often isn't the best method. Are you only taking wellbutrin?

Yes. only Welbutrin. I have been on that for over a year and it was initially to help with an energy boost and help with OCD, but I can tell that is not helping as much anymore. I have always had the anxiety but they thought the Welbutrin helping with the OCD may help the anxiety. It did for a while, but not so much any more. I just get so worked up - like I can feel myself get hot and boiling. I wants something to level me off, not knock me out.

hollywood
02-26-10, 02:45 PM
do you have adhd ? I don't know your age or the reason you would treat adhd with only wellbutrin. People can say what they want but wellbutrin is weak in comparison to stimulants to adhd. I have moderate to severe adhd . It's severe when in the wrong environment, moderate when in other environments and not really noticeable at all when I'm on the move. I find that adhd is not bad when your on the move, it's like once we move the brain can too... I also feel like this has something more to do with the hunter , vs gatherer theory which may very well be true... I am never at home if its daylight .. always moving and this lessons anxiety. If I'm in one place, too much to daydream and worry about... ie ( this or being sedentary or understimulated makes my adhd worse) You may want to consider where your anxiety is coming from and when it happens. I get it at work.. i'm bored, it's mundane, nothing to think about that interest me and my mind wanders... For that reason wellbutrin works in addition to my stims because it levels my moods and thoughts, helps stimulate me a bit more in different ways than stims alone but still weak for adhd as a rule of thumb in general. Stimulants may help if you have not tried them in the past , if you are predisposed to worry I would probably consider ( effexor, cymbalta or paxil, or even more sedating lexapro) to add to your stimulant for adhd with combined worry. If you worry then you will find it impossible to use your mind to think about whats important , that is if you have this worry predisposition and you get proper adhd treatment after time goes by you will eventually become bored again as you get used to taking stimulants and that stimulation will weaken but still be effective and wa la you will become worried all over again... So you should treat it with one of the drugs I meantioned in combo with a stim. Wellbutrin is often kept to prevent side effects from the meds I mentioned. good luck.

Shejay
02-26-10, 02:58 PM
do you have adhd ? I don't know your age or the reason you would treat adhd with only wellbutrin. People can say what they want but wellbutrin is weak in comparison to stimulants to adhd. I have moderate to severe adhd . It's severe when in the wrong environment, moderate when in other environments and not really noticeable at all when I'm on the move. I find that adhd is not bad when your on the move, it's like once we move the brain can too... I also feel like this has something more to do with the hunter , vs gatherer theory which may very well be true... I am never at home if its daylight .. always moving and this lessons anxiety. If I'm in one place, too much to daydream and worry about... ie ( this or being sedentary or understimulated makes my adhd worse) You may want to consider where your anxiety is coming from and when it happens. I get it at work.. i'm bored, it's mundane, nothing to think about that interest me and my mind wanders... For that reason wellbutrin works in addition to my stims because it levels my moods and thoughts, helps stimulate me a bit more in different ways than stims alone but still weak for adhd as a rule of thumb in general. Stimulants may help if you have not tried them in the past , if you are predisposed to worry I would probably consider ( effexor, cymbalta or paxil, or even more sedating lexapro) to add to your stimulant for adhd with combined worry. If you worry then you will find it impossible to use your mind to think about whats important , that is if you have this worry predisposition and you get proper adhd treatment after time goes by you will eventually become bored again as you get used to taking stimulants and that stimulation will weaken but still be effective and wa la you will become worried all over again... So you should treat it with one of the drugs I meantioned in combo with a stim. Wellbutrin is often kept to prevent side effects from the meds I mentioned. good luck.

Nope - No ADHD - just OCD and Anxiety.... My daughter is ADD and takes Welbutin and Concerta and that does work well for her.

I am just scared of Benzo's and I was wanting one of the best meds for Anxiety. Effexor or Zoloft, not really helped. Which is the best Anti-depressant out there for Anxiety, that is what I am trying to figure out. There are so many new meds that I am not aware of and I was hoping someone had taken one and could offer some feedback.

hollywood
02-26-10, 03:08 PM
well cymbalta has alot of uses and can help anxiety in ways that is affecting the patient and causing the anxiety that they are unaware of being it pain, and various other things. Cymbalta can be sedating in lower doses due the fact that it's only hitting serotonin in low dosing, and at high doses apparently with snri's the NE begins to take affect and help with motivation and drive...Etc as well with keeping anxiety at bay. Lexapro is the most selective serotonin med around but really it's all trial and error. Most people say effexor helps. Yet when you mention anxiety there are so many different forms and platforms that manifest into anxiety and or panic for many people. Really anxiety can be rooted in three ways. Untreated manifestions of another disorder, disease or problem that is left untreated that can result in pain, fatigue and general lack of well being causing personal suffering for that person which after time causes burn out and adrenal fatigue.. Meaning your body is so tired of combating this issue that your mental energy is depleted.. Secondly , general every day stressors.. This is probably the easiest to treat . Thirdly , from becoming so mentally handicapped from something that has happend that you begin to become ridgid in your thoughts and isolate your thoughts on one thing that will cause mental stress .... Hope that helps.

Shejay
02-26-10, 03:14 PM
well cymbalta has alot of uses and can help anxiety in ways that is affecting the patient and causing the anxiety that they are unaware of being it pain, and various other things. Cymbalta can be sedating in lower doses due the fact that it's only hitting serotonin in low dosing, and at high doses apparently with snri's the NE begins to take affect and help with motivation and drive...Etc as well with keeping anxiety at bay. Lexapro is the most selective serotonin med around but really it's all trial and error. Most people say effexor helps. Yet when you mention anxiety there are so many different forms and platforms that manifest into anxiety and or panic for many people. Really anxiety can be rooted in three ways. Untreated manifestions of another disorder, disease or problem that is left untreated that can result in pain, fatigue and general lack of well being causing personal suffering for that person which after time causes burn out and adrenal fatigue.. Meaning your body is so tired of combating this issue that your mental energy is depleted.. Secondly , general every day stressors.. This is probably the easiest to treat . Thirdly , from becoming so mentally handicapped from something that has happend that you begin to become ridgid in your thoughts and isolate your thoughts on one thing that will cause mental stress .... Hope that helps.

Thank you for discussing this with me. I am probably in the "general every day stressors" catagory. High strung, mind racing, that kind. My doctor mentioned Paxil and Lexapro, but I wanted to talk to people who have actually tried them and see if it helped them at all, especially since Lexapro is not Generic & 50 bucks on my insurance. :)

hollywood
02-26-10, 03:35 PM
I'd say lexapro is known to work very well from the very start. It really knocked me out. Just try and give it 60 days. It may suck for 3 weeks, but doesn't life suck now being tugged in a million directions.

Shejay
02-26-10, 03:55 PM
I'd say lexapro is known to work very well from the very start. It really knocked me out. Just try and give it 60 days. It may suck for 3 weeks, but doesn't life suck now being tugged in a million directions.

OMG.... You know EXACTLY how I feel!! That is one of my main Anxiety issues.... Racing Mind - Million things to do and no time to do it!!!!

XR,SR stoneyend
03-03-10, 09:39 AM
Zoloft,sexotat/paxil, citalopram, effexor The whole lot luck!. NaSSAs are the way to go i.e remeron/mirtzapine - it really helps with that anxiety side, without you having to depend so much on the benzos.

Anxiety is as bad, as a bottle of wine without a cork crew

hollywood
03-03-10, 10:03 AM
I have found that getting an effective dose on stimulants takes away the mind restlessness. There is a difference between adhd distraction and clinical anxiety. If you don't properly treat the adhd you may confuse the two. "stoneyend" , I disagree. SNRI's may provide to be useful for those with adhd in low dose in combination with stimulants.The medications you listed to my knowledge are the most pronounced for being known to cause heavy sedation which could be counterproductive. I believe the problem could be rooted in finding the best stimulant dose with the proper snri dose or augmentation med as well, it's all about the dosing and the combo's . From what I've heard anxiety for adhd can take many shapes and forms that may be directly related to adhd . Intuniv may alleviate physical anxiety caused by stimulants if pns stimulation is a distraction and snri's may be helpful if your brain has become conditioned in the wrong matter. Do you feel the reuptake of serotonin as malproductive for those with adhd. It can help you if your in a bad situation every day that can shift your thoughts from happy to unhappy that would improve attention in the long run. Also there can be physical issues that are masking treatment success... Sleeping on the wrong bed, grinding your teeth at night with no night guard etc.. You must improve the global realm of your life in general and then your symptoms should improve.

XR,SR stoneyend
03-03-10, 12:12 PM
I still claim that higher doses of remeron (over 30mg, these non sedating doses) work well for my Ritalin therapy based anxiety and not clinical anxiety related to comorbidities.
You are of course right about the stimulate dosage being a method of reducing anxiety

Shejay
03-03-10, 12:28 PM
I have never been prescribed any ADHD/ADD med. My daughter does and I have tried hers just to see and I felt like I could paint the house... :p

hollywood
03-03-10, 12:49 PM
stoneyend...check "sp"

I have heard what you mentioned on higher dosing of these meds. I suppose on the right dose of stimulant that I become more confident due to that fact that my focus improves ... People should take not this is not a high or looking for too much from the medication. This is treatment for adhd, you look for the problems and you try and correct them and become more like normal people which is the goal. Again I have heard about higher dosing of remeron but still to this day am at times perplexed rather my anxiety even exists at all due to the fact that it can depend on my dose and the way my stimulant is working that day. I find if I am focused my anxiety seems to fade, rather it is more a fleeting feeling of being attentive and my mind becomes distracted and these times are when anxiety or worry thoughts occur due to distraction. I wonder if at these times the proper augment would help my mind remain positive as I feel that is part of the solution. Thus serotonin or mood improving meds certainly would help attention and productivity.

XR,SR stoneyend
03-03-10, 12:58 PM
Im going to get some sweet & sour shrimp and come back, and hope the ambien walrus doesnt jump out divert me on the way to the chinese take away. anxiety sucks! so does loosing EVERYTHING

ahcanuck
04-24-10, 07:05 AM
Lamotrigine works well for me. It's a mood stabilizer which is usually for bi-polar disorder. I was confuse at first cause I don't have bi-polar disorder. I had varying degrees of depression for years prior to discovering my ADHD. I told my doc. that I've been having lots of anxiety/frustration/irritability and he place me on that prior to start of concerta. It was a prep. med to counter the possible effects of concerta. I love it! Hated Paxil that was years ago for my depression which I believe has left me with more memory issues. And it was horrible quitting paxil. Like today my concerta side effects of depression and anxiety were pretty bad. Then when it was time to take the lamotrigine i felt normal again. pheew...

btw still new to concerta and still experimenting with the right dose.

Anxiety on top of ADHD can be so disheartening...hang on the thread with me. We will find the right combo.