View Full Version : Photograph For The ADHD Community

dugup1254
02-27-10, 02:12 AM
I was about to go to bed, but I wanted to make a neat photo for the community here. I hope you guys enjoy!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4390965985_a40cf7e24a_o.jpg

This photo was taken in my room, on a 30 second exposure. I used some color flash light application on my cell phone to get the effect. I think it's pretty neat!

meridian
02-27-10, 09:02 AM
Well done! It is definitely neat!

EYEFORGOT
02-27-10, 11:01 AM
That is very neat. What are the letters made with? Looks like tape.

noodlzzz
02-27-10, 11:31 AM
Oh I love it! I've always wanted to do light painting but don't have a posh enough camera to do it :(

dugup1254
02-27-10, 02:31 PM
That is very neat. What are the letters made with? Looks like tape.

I used a 30 second exposure and just used my cell phone to make the letters. Basically after the shutter opened, I drew a letter with the cell phone in the air, then I covered it with a shirt so it was black, then removed the shirt and drew another letter. Because I was moving across the room, with a 30 second exposure, you really can't see me. The only thing that you end up seeing is whatever light is picked up by the camera.

I completed the letters probably 20 seconds into the exposure, then I move behind the camera and let the camera pick up just the background for the last 5-10 seconds. In doing that, it pretty much eliminates me out of the picture all together. It's not really that impressive of a picture, just a new technique that I have been messing with. I think the way the image is done is pretty slick heh.

When I get some time, I will throw up some of my actual photography for you guys to check out.

FrazzleDazzle
02-27-10, 09:05 PM
That is coolness! Thanks for sharing the technique. With such a long exposure, how did you get the background so completely dark? Just use a low ISO or what, I'm curious?

dugup1254
02-27-10, 10:23 PM
That is coolness! Thanks for sharing the technique. With such a long exposure, how did you get the background so completely dark? Just use a low ISO or what, I'm curious?

Yeah, I have fairly dark blinds as well so that cuts out almost all visable light. I had my ISO set at 100, to ensure that I personally wouldn't show up in the picture due to light from my cell phone reflecting off the walls and back on to me.

http://www.photographsdonotbend.co.uk/images/abelardomorell_1.jpg is the photograph that really inspired me to use the technique. I'm JUST getting in to photography, so I'm learning a lot as I go. That photo was made with a hour and a half exposure. The photographer covers his widows with cardboard and makes a hole about the size of a nickel. Even the human eye can actually see the light (aka picture), but it will take your eyes about 15 minutes to adjust to the low lighting. I hope to make a few of those pictures as soon as the weather around here stops being as miserable as it has been.

novagal
02-28-10, 12:57 PM
Wow, that is very cool! I'm having a hard time visualizing how you did this, even though you explained it very well. Oh wait a minute, I just reread it and now I get it. Very interesting!

PeteM62
02-28-10, 09:21 PM
http://www.photographsdonotbend.co.uk/images/abelardomorell_1.jpg is the photograph that really inspired me to use the technique. I'm JUST getting in to photography, so I'm learning a lot as I go. That photo was made with a hour and a half exposure. The photographer covers his widows with cardboard and makes a hole about the size of a nickel. Even the human eye can actually see the light (aka picture), but it will take your eyes about 15 minutes to adjust to the low lighting. I hope to make a few of those pictures as soon as the weather around here stops being as miserable as it has been.

Wow! What a cool concept. Turn your house into a pinhole camera! Looking forward to seeing your efforts.