View Full Version : Questions re: Xanax XR (Alprazolam)

cbnj
02-28-10, 12:47 PM
Hi All -- I posted a bit about my story in the new member thread. Anyhow, 37-year old male, recently unemployed and far along the fertility path (with my wife); have had life-long anxiety, likely GAD, but recently the anxiety has been overwhelming at times. I've had periods like this in the past, but have opted to just ride the wave and exercised as much as I could.

This go round, I decided that medication, plus healthy lifestyle choices, would be best. Anyhow, 2-weeks ago, my MD prescribed xanax and I've been taking 1 to 2 (0.5MG) tablets daily. The meds have definitely been calming. I've progressively started to feel a bit more sluggish however. Additionally, I went to see a Psychiatrist on Saturday to see if xanax was best and/or a SSRI (thought this would be the Psych's first choice), SNRI, Psychostimulant, etc. I'm new to all of this, but have done a bunch of research over the past 2-weeks; surprised that practitioners would prescribe xanax without much discussion about side effects. Anyhow, co-existing conditions aside (ADD believed to be moderate), I'm curious what folks experience with xanax has been and if taking 2MG of xanax xr at night, before bed, is a reasonable script? As I mentioned, I'm starting to feel a bit sluggish on just .25mg to .50mg of simply xanax.

Thoughts?

netsavy006
02-28-10, 03:45 PM
Xanax XR dose @ night would best equal the total daily dose. For example if you take .5mg twice a day then you would switch to Xanax XR 1mg.

I don't think it's unreasonable to switch from regular Xanax to Xanax XR. It might relieve some of the sluggishness and it will last the full day so you will only have to take medicine at night.

KY_Flanugget
03-01-10, 01:55 AM
i was prescribed xanax 1mg but stopped taking it because for the me the cons outweighed the pros.. in school (where i have the worst anxiety) xanax would just make dead tired and nearly impossible to stay awake in class.. so after my zoloft really kicked in,, i stopped taking xanax.. but i was never on xanax xr so i cant really help ya there

cbnj
03-01-10, 02:31 AM
Thx...yeah, I'm considering going back to school, again...ugh, so staying awake might be a good thing :)

Unfortunately, I'm already prone to bouts of bad fatigue. If I don't stay on the go, I get really tired. I gather the thinking here, is that my anxiety is overly taxing the system to the point of fatigue. I'll give xanax some time...would like to see if a stimulant addition would help without increasing anxiety. I'm new to meds, but do realize that the drug cocktail coordination may be a bit tricky.

ManInBlack
03-17-10, 03:39 PM
As far as effects go, Xanax Xr (say...1mg) + Vyvanse (say...50mg) would be a perfect, day-long, focused yet calm combination. I remember taking 3mg Xanax XR for 3 or 4 days in a row a few years back and those thing just seemed to last forever, even when cut in half. 2mg seems a large dose to take at night.

Like I've said before, mixing stimulants in with any benzos will make your tolerance for both increase and a long-term benzo tolerance isn't something that is easy to get rid of.