View Full Version : question about tourette

ADEzor
03-01-10, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna bring this tourette question up on my next psychiatrist appointment, and i'm trying to keep this message short (altough i rarely succeed with that).

I'm a 23 year old male with ADD (Current medication 54mg concerta).

I read some stuff on the net and watched videos about tourette in general, but i'm still left open with few things.

I have these nervous habits and i'm not gonna list them all... but here's some:

-when i were about 13 years old, i started having this habit of making weird noises whenever something surprising happens, it is still bothering me and it has occasionally led me into beeing bullied.

-Similar to the first... but this happens randomly, i tend to make these... uhhh.. how should i say it... *glucking* noises on random and i'm SO shamed/annoyed by it and pray that people didn't notice that.

-i always say "uh-huh" when someone speaks to me, even when i'm not focusing to the conversation itself.

-i always clear my throat and/or cough, and i mean always, even when i'm not talking to anyone or don't have a need to talk to anyone.

-i have this odd autopilot mode, whenever i am in any public (well, to think of it i have it even at home when im alone, but not as often) place. I get this odd urge to find myself my own place where i can lean to a wall (if i'm standing on my own i tend to twitch a little and stay off balance).

-When i don't know what to do or am bored... i always take my cellphone and read old SMS messages. I'm never doing nothing.

-my neck sometimes (altough rarely), goes into an odd lock whenever i'm in a center of attention. I'm glad that doesn't happen often and usually people doesn't notice it (i think). my hands and legs tend to twitch a bit whenever this happens.

-i mumble my own thoughts out loud, not that common though.

-i bite my lips.

I have tons of other, similar things too, like i have this new thing to "clean" my teeth with my tonque for whole day, and by evening my mouth has always been sore...

Does this sound like Tourette? Even though i don't yell things out loud, like "BOOBIES!" in a public (sorry, just trying to be more clear). Also, i'm not sure what it means that tics are "semi-voluntary" usually on my case, all the things listed above happen just before my brain notices it, but after that it's somewhat controllable by trying to be still and do nothing... keyword being try.

williet65
03-01-10, 03:09 PM
I don't think anyone on here should try to diagnose you. I think the best thing you can do is discuss it with your psychiatrist. You could print out your post and take it with you so you will remember everything.

The more you tell your psychiatrist the more it will help him to help you. Good luck and let me know what happens!

The ADHD Fan
03-01-10, 03:24 PM
Hi ADEzor,

These are some great questions. I, by no means, am qualified to officially diagnose anyone, but it does seem that some of these tendencies can be seen as "tics" which is a common symptom of Tourette's. Generally the stereotype of Tourette's (as seen in movies like "What about Bob?"), is the frequent verbal outbursts of swearing or inappropriate language, but in reality, these vocal outbursts only represent a small fraction (maybe 5-10%) of all Tourette's cases.

Tourette's is a sub-component on the spectrum of tic disorders (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043089), so many individuals who have tic disorders are not Tourette's (I believe that to be diagnosed with Tourette's you need to have physical as well as at least one type of verbal "tic", but I could be mistaken).

Another interesting thing about Tourette's is that it is often seen alongside both ADHD and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorders). The neuro-chemical differences between these two disorders are fairly large, so the fact that Tourette's commonly spans both disorders (I think somewhere around 75% or more of Tourette's patients also have ADHD or OCD, but again, this number might be off by a bit), is interesting.

You also mentioned being on Concerta (methylphenidate). The impact of ADHD stimulant medications on Tourette's and tic disorders (http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2008/10/do-adhd-stimulant-meds-worsen-tourettes.html) has been around for awhile, and several anecdotal reports (as well as multiple studies) have linked the two together.

However, it seems like many of your tic-like symptoms probably preceded your medication, so you may not have to worry. Just know that in some people (especially as you get to higher doses), stimulant meds for ADHD can either set off Tourette's/tics or worsen the symptoms, so if you're noticing sharp increases after starting the Concerta, you might want to look at other options. Generally, non-stimulants such as Strattera or Intuniv (Guanfacine) are a bit milder with regards to Tourette's and tic disorders, but they have different modes of action than do stimulants such as Concerta.

Hope this helps you out a bit, I'll let you know if I dig up more info on the subject.

ADEzor
03-02-10, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the hint Williet65, and thanks for very informative post ADHD fan. The earliest tic-like symptoms started about ten years ago, and i've been on Concerta for about little more than a year.

At one point i was on SSRI medication which seemed to ease these tic-like symptoms, but i had to stop it for loss of sleep and many other problems... Does SSRI in general usually ease tics in tourette ppl?