View Full Version : Hesitancy to Prescribe Dexedrine

mtnwanderer
03-02-10, 12:49 AM
Hi - I was on Dexedrine for a long time before changing doctors when my insurance changed. My new doctor wants me to take Adderall instead, citing an increased incidence of heart-related side effects of Dexedrine. I have not been able to find any information to back this up. Has anyone else heard of this? Dexedrine by far works the best for me, but I definitely don't want to cause myself problems in the future. Thanks.

tscurl
03-02-10, 07:35 AM
Any type of long term amphetamine use can have heart-related side effects. This obviously includes Adderall as well as Dexedrine. I've never seen any evidence to suggest one is worse than the other, especially since Adderall is almost 3/4 dextro-amphetamine anyway. I was on Adderall before I switched to Dex, and I've found the Dex to last longer and have smoother ups and downs so to speak. It seems like your doctor is blowing smoke up your butt because for some reason he doesn't like prescribing Dexedrine. If it works for you, and has worked over time, why on earth would he want you to switch?

Josh_kelly
03-03-10, 08:56 AM
I thought dexedrine was more potent and has more side effects than adderall.

Well in terms of the dose maybe. I think 1 mg of adderall is equal to 0.5-0.75 mg of dexedrine.

But ADHD treatment is going towards dexedrine (dex-ampthamine) type medication like vyvanse or procentra.

dexedrine has less side effects because it has way less PNS stimulation (jittery, anxious, aggression, high pressure). And dex-amph is responsable for treating ADHD symptoms.

adderall combines dex-ampth and l-ampth. l-ampth was added because it kicks in faster than the dex. then dex starts to kick in and take it from there.

so l-ampth gets you out of bed and initiate a task. dex keeps you focused on it. so that's why adderall I think is more addictive than dex. because people (including me) like that kick to start stuff. some people are not lazy or hyper so they dont need that kick i guess i am hypo (inattentive).

but dexedrine at very high doses will cause PNS stimulation. you will start "bugging"!

dex is given to pilots to stay awake and focused on long missions. imagine being on adderall in a plane that you cant even stand. craziness ;)

mtnwanderer
03-05-10, 10:26 PM
Thanks. I definitely had fewer side effects with Dexedrine. Adderall seems to have some bad effects on my blood pressure which I am not very excited about. What really confuses me is that he was willing to prescribe Vyvanse which I believe is just a new pro-drug for Dex. Oh well, perhaps he will change his mind.

The ADHD Fan
03-05-10, 10:58 PM
It's interesting to see from these other comments how going from a "mixed" amphetamine (Adderall) to a "pure" form dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) can cause such a difference in side effects, especially given the high content of the dextroamphetamine component of Adderall.

As far as blood pressure I'm not sure, but from what I've dug up, it appears that the "D" form of the drug (the "mirror image" form of the amphetamine used in Dexedrine), can lead to a higher rate of respiration (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17387459) (which can also jack up heart rate, and possibly blood pressure), than the "L" form of the amphetamine (which is the part present in Adderall, but removed in Dexedrine) so by taking more of this "potent" form of the amphetamine, the cardiovascular effects may be more pronounced.

Just a possibility, but by no means anything fully conclusive...

Chuck61686
03-08-10, 08:30 PM
It's interesting to see from these other comments how going from a "mixed" amphetamine (Adderall) to a "pure" form dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) can cause such a difference in side effects, especially given the high content of the dextroamphetamine component of Adderall.

As far as blood pressure I'm not sure, but from what I've dug up, it appears that the "D" form of the drug (the "mirror image" form of the amphetamine used in Dexedrine), can lead to a higher rate of respiration (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17387459) (which can also jack up heart rate, and possibly blood pressure), than the "L" form of the amphetamine (which is the part present in Adderall, but removed in Dexedrine) so by taking more of this "potent" form of the amphetamine, the cardiovascular effects may be more pronounced.

Just a possibility, but by no means anything fully conclusive...

You have it backwards: By increasing the release of norepinephrine, blood pressure may rise (although the rise in heart rate may not be so significant - as it can even slow down as a means of compensating for the BP increase). Respirations CAN go up, but not to an appreciable extent.

Both isomers can cause cardiovascular side effects. But for the most part they're highly tolerable if you're in otherwise good health.

Here's an interesting tid bit: Recent clinical research has shown the L isomer to improve memory more than the D isomer! I'll post the study later, but I'm sort of in a hurry.

Ruby85
03-13-10, 05:36 AM
What really confuses me is that he was willing to prescribe Vyvanse which I believe is just a new pro-drug for Dex.

That's because Vyvanse is a brand name medication and Shire offers "incentives" to doctors who prescribe it. Dex, on the other hand, is a generic so doctors get nothing for prescribing it. It's in your doctor's best interest to push Vyvanse, but not necessarily for the benefit of the patient.

salleh
03-16-10, 04:00 PM
Oh and the Vyvanse also has a particular ingredient that makes the stuff work only if you swallow it, it reacts with something in your stomach that unlocks the dex.....you cannot inject or snort it....

.....there are those who feel safer prescribing the Vyvanse because of that.....so, if they stop producing the reg IR dex tablets, because of the greed of the pharmasuitical companies, and the behavior of some people....I will have to pay several times the amount that dex costs me, and of course I don't have insurance, so it's out of my pocket....