View Full Version : Spitting

Logic
03-02-10, 05:17 PM
As you may (or may not) know, I've been suffering (perhaps a strong word to use) with motor tics for about a year, even spending some time in hospital for observation - but all said and done, I've learned to live with it.
My Doctor refers to it as 'transient tic disorder' but I think it's perhaps not as transient as he thinks, it's developing and seems here to stay.

Most annoying is the most recent addition to the collection of the urge to spit. I disgust myself when I do it, much like I hate the way I will sometimes smack the side of my neck or punch myself in the head...
I see a puddle, look at the sink in the kitchen or bathroom and suddenly I feel like one of Pavlov's Dogs, conditioned to begin drooling upon sight of one of these 'triggers'... my mouth filled with saliva, my swallow reflex fails, I feel like I might choke if I can't spit it out... I have to spit.

Thankfully this only happens when there's a puddle, or I'm in the kitchen near the sink, or getting a wash at the sink, or in the shower. So it's not like I'm spitting in people's faces or anything, I still hate it though.

Logic

XR,SR stoneyend
03-04-10, 10:34 AM
I only spit in anger, mostly when I was a teenager

XR,SR stoneyend
03-04-10, 10:41 AM
Isnt hyocine or scopolamine used for the over droolers? used in pre op pediatric surgery no? wouldnt that help ya?

Logic
03-05-10, 11:51 AM
It's not a problem with an overactive salivation reflex, it's the 'need' to spit that's the problem, much like the 'need' to flex my arm or shrug my shoulder - the actions are a pent up desire to flex/move a particular area of the body, only now it's action is that of spitting. I can quash the desire, but pay for it later on, as I guess it needs to act out somehow and will let loose a torrent of tics upon ceasing to regulate myself so strictly.

I guess what I'm saying, is that I'm not seeing the triggers that I've identified as making this problem worse and suddenly finding myself drooling uncontrollably, it's more of a feeling of becoming acutely aware of the (normal) amount of saliva in my mouth and feeling like I cannot swallow as usual - therefore resulting in the urge to spit.
Likely this will 'sort itself out' in time, as some of the other fairly extreme movements I had as tics before have subsided, vanished completely or lost their severity.
I don't think it's a case of needing medication to control it.

Logic

Lunacie
03-05-10, 12:44 PM
I used to think that Tourette's tics were similar to the muscle tics I sometimes get, usually around my eys, usually as an allergic reaction. Figured they were as unplanned and unpreventable as a muscle tic. It sounds like there's more to it than that though?

XR,SR stoneyend
03-07-10, 06:21 PM
ok cool, I only have a clinical/surgical knowledge. Id be a crap psych.
I always looks on the clinical/medical/pharm side of it all

Sirrah
03-11-10, 09:42 AM
I've never thought I had tourettes - just stumbled across this thread on the main page. But I actually have this, if I'm near a toilet or sink I feel compelled to spit in it.

Also, when I'm smoking, I have to spit constantly o.O never really thought much of it, tbh.

I don't know if I should read much into it, maybe it's simpy a bad habit. I don't think I have any other strange things like this.