View Full Version : Anyone here make videos?

Amtram
03-04-10, 12:08 PM
I have seen a few videos that attempt to demonstrate an ADD brain in action, but I've been thinking that most of them (the ones that aren't parodies, thank you, haters) make a lot more sense to other ADDers than to NTs. I have ideas, and I have skills with a lot of computer tools, but the most complicated thing I've ever done with videos is superimpose text with effects using Windows MovieMaker. Sad, I know.

I'd love to connect with someone here who'd be interested in putting together something that would be a little more effective in communicating to the NT world. Something that could be a public service type of thing that could be shared - so other people with ADD could see that they're not the only ones who think like that, and people without it could understand what we're really up against.

If anyone knows of any existing videos like this, too, I'd love to see them. I explain it to people, but with just words, I don't think they really get it.

TIA!

Luthien
03-30-11, 09:50 AM
There was one really cool video on YouTube but it's no longer there. It was a student movie, and it was filmed from the perspective of a student with ADD, associating away all the time on visual cues, and eventually he completely missed all the assignments of his prof. It was really funny as well.

I make videos and I'd love to work on something like that.

Amtram
03-30-11, 04:50 PM
That would be great! I tried downloading and learning a video program that would allow multiple audio channels and video overlays and effects, but it was just enough outside of my knowledge base and not quite interesting enough to actually be able to put it to use. This was the idea I had been bouncing around:

My thought is that the video would start with a brief introduction, with me telling the viewer that we were going to read a story together, but I was going to let them into my brain.

The visual constant will be the reader-eye view of the book, and the audio constant will be an oral reading of the page. Of course, the reading will stop and go back to re-read sections of the text that were missed when the distractions come along.

Another audio track that will come in and out will be a segment of a song, which, like the book, will replay the segment all or in part, over and over.

I'm going to look for text that contains the word "music", because that will be the trigger for an image in a section of the screen of my three calendars fading into each other in sequence, accompanied by an audio of me remembering that I have to pick my daughter up from jazz band and then take her to bass lessons and I have Bingo that night so I have to make dinner early so I can eat before bass lessons and the family can have it later without me. . .

And a tiny image of a sink full of dishes will have been kind of floating around the periphery, suddenly enlarge and take up the center of the screen, then shrink back to its original size and start floating again, but leave behind another image of something started but not finished, like baskets of laundry, or my messy desk, which would then join the little random parade around the margins of the book - sort of like the moving square in a Pong game. The number of images is kind of vague for me now, and probably depends on the video software, as well.

At this point, I think Iím beginning to overthink it, adding text and/or audio of thoughts that are triggered by these images, so Iím trying to keep it to this core set of ideas until I have a better picture of it as a whole at that stage. The distracted book-reading segment should really be only about 2 minutes, the whole video less than 5, so itís more likely to be viewed. There will be a very short closing segment, interview-style just like the introduction, explaining that that was only 2 minutes, imagine it all the time for your whole life. . .

hypergirl96
03-30-11, 06:37 PM
I have seen a few videos that attempt to demonstrate an ADD brain in action, but I've been thinking that most of them (the ones that aren't parodies, thank you, haters) make a lot more sense to other ADDers than to NTs. I have ideas, and I have skills with a lot of computer tools, but the most complicated thing I've ever done with videos is superimpose text with effects using Windows MovieMaker. Sad, I know.

I'd love to connect with someone here who'd be interested in putting together something that would be a little more effective in communicating to the NT world. Something that could be a public service type of thing that could be shared - so other people with ADD could see that they're not the only ones who think like that, and people without it could understand what we're really up against.

If anyone knows of any existing videos like this, too, I'd love to see them. I explain it to people, but with just words, I don't think they really get it.

TIA!

hey, fellow jersian!

anyways, that sounds like a great idea! i wish i could help, but i have too much work for school and stuff plus track :(

but anyways, wish u luck!

Luthien
03-31-11, 07:52 AM
@Amtram - sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want.
There's a couple of ways that you can go from there .. one that may help you organise it is to create a storyboard: sort of a draft comic book version of the video in little drawings. You can make one for every scene, and indicate movement of the subject or camera with arrows.
It needn't be be great drawings, its just to organise whatever you have. I have found that it can also generate new ideas when you do that.

Could you make the raw video recordings yourself? Or have someone do that for you? If so, I could edit it for you if you like. I'm quite at home in Final Cut and Adobe Premiere, so if you could act as director, scenarist and cameraman, I could do the editing of the audio and video. i can't help you hands-on on the spot there, because I live in Europe :)

Luthien
03-31-11, 07:53 AM
re. Windows Movie Maker: my friend works as a webmaster in place (university library) where they only allow Windows software.
Some time ago she had to publish a video file of the head librarian in some lengthy talk with some other talking head, and she had to edit it just very slightly. Like cut a bit off the start because the video ran for a while before they started talking, or something like that.

It was absolute hell. I think that Movie Maker took about 47 hours to render the movie. It was half an hour long, in some HD format. So she just let it run when she went home, only to find out that she had forgotten that all pc's are turned off by a centrally issued command at midnight. So the rendering was crashed.
They have a pc there that is not on the network, so she tried it on that one. It crashed nonetheless.
The end of it is that she converted it to quicktime and edited it on her own private macbook. And then it was a piece of cake.

I know, it is hard to resist any "open goal" chance to vent a bit against M$ - although of late, I must admit that Apple is doing its utter best to become as user-unfriendly as M$. I think the success of the iPods and iPhones is corrupting them :)
But that aside: Movie Maker really isn't a usable tool if you want to make videos. If you can get your hands on it, try Adobe Premiere. I think they have a windows version, too. It has really become very good lately, leaving Final Cut behind, in my opinion.
These programs all share that they have a bit of a learning curve. But it is worth the effort: if you get a feel for it, it is really not hard to use at all.

There are simpler video editors like, for the mac, iMovie. I still have an older version which is really good because it still allows you to control almost everything. That latest version is nice insofar that it is dead easy to create very good-looking movie trailers with it. It works with a kind of templates. But the downside is that this iMovie version becomes a whole lot harder to use if don't use those prefabricated templates.

this is one of those iMovie trailer templates .. shot in 15 minutes, and edited in 10 minutes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47pvvddMr4Q

Amtram
03-31-11, 11:05 AM
Hmmm. Food for thought. Yes, I could probably put together the raw bits and pieces and put them in a file to be uploaded/shared. Let me play around a bit. . .love the video, btw.

Pamplemousse
03-31-11, 11:26 PM
I work with video all the time. It's one of my hobbies actually.

I have a couple YouTube accounts with several videos. (My one account just reached 835 subscribers! lol)

However I do not use WMM, it crashed too much on me, but I still know how to use it very well. Instead I use iMovie '09 for my MacBook Pro Laptop.

I've learned almost all the tricks to it including cloning, voice overs, green screen, text titles, special effects, etc. Anything and everything is included in that program. :p

I have actually been thinking about making a good informative ADD/ADHD video for a while but I've just never had the guts to just film it, or animate it or whatever.