View Full Version : New Health Reform Bill

letsrockit
03-05-10, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if the new health reform bill the pres is trying to push through would significantly affect ADDers as far as treatment goes?

daveddd
03-05-10, 05:39 PM
what do you mean?

letsrockit
03-05-10, 05:44 PM
Having government health coverage -- limitations on diagnoses, etc?

daveddd
03-06-10, 08:24 AM
i have heard if you need the government coverage, you may have to wait a little longer for an appointment

mike91163
03-06-10, 11:23 AM
i have heard if you need the government coverage, you may have to wait a little longer for an appointment

I guess we should ask, or hope for input from, our friends to the north in Canada, or across the pond in the UK. There's plenty of horror stories/blogs about the perils and delays of socialized medicine...but first-hand knowledge and experience from members who live in these countries would surely dispel or confirm this.

LynneC
03-14-10, 09:45 PM
Well, it's pure speculation at this point, until a bill is passed.

The 'socialized' medical program for seniors seems to work pretty well. (that would be Medicare)
(other than the rampant fraud, that is...)

tulips
03-14-10, 10:36 PM
If anything it would allow more people to be diagnosed and receive the appropriate treatment. ADHD doesn't just impact those who are educated, with good jobs and health insurance. Think about how many people with untreated ADHD (or any other mental health condition for that matter) cannot hold down a job. These individuals often fall into the ranks of the unemployed and end up living just above the poverty level - thus the downward spiral continues for them, and also their families. If help for these people comes in the form of "socialized" medicine then who are we to prevent that from happening? Not implying anyone posting on this thread is suggesting anything, it's more of a rant from someone who is entirely disheartened by the whole health care debate overall. Back to original concern now....Neither House or Senate versions of the bill changes how ADHD is dealt with. I can't imagine anything of the sort ever being added to a final bill either.

APSJ
03-15-10, 12:19 PM
I've yet to see much in the way of news coverage on the proposed health care reform bills' implications for those with ADHD. However, there appears to be some information here regarding provisions for mental health coverage in different versions of the proposed bills:
http://www.bazelon.org/issues/healthreform/index.htm

Please remember that political discussions are not permitted on the open forum, and confine discussion in this thread to the specific implications of current events surrounding health care reform for people with ADHD.

Any members who would like to debate the merits of different approaches to health care reform more generally are invited to request membership in our private debate forum (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=277) by contacting its moderator (http://www.addforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=1891).

salleh
03-16-10, 12:17 AM
Wow!! I just did a fast perusal of the link that APSJ just posted, and without trying to sound political, it sure would be a huge help to me if this bill passes......and the link ....cuts straight to the chase.....

.....lots of stuff on the news about the bill, but this is as concrete as is possible for a proposed bill can be !